1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

nuDynasty Episode Chat S2E03 The Butler Did It

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by tommie, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Artur

Artur Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +81
    What on earth happened to Claudia and her baby? She drove off with Hank and nobody mention her. Did her storyline die along with Celia Machado?

2. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Waiting in the wings until Hank protests to someone other than Alexis that he didn't kill Celia, I guess.

3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,808
    An excellent question. I'd completely forgotten about her.

4. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,808
    I'd prefer if they kept the two of them apart because I think the character of Fallon is better for it. I had issues with this character last season with her constant, smart arse put downs. When they introduced Alexis it just became silly with the mother/daughter pool fight. In the return season I've actually enjoyed the character of Fallon as she stepped away from her family. I'm kind of hoping the writers in forthcoming episodes has Blake throw Alexis, Anders, Steven and Sam off the Carrington property. I think this is when Fallon could be used as a go between as she keeps a close relationship with her half-brother.
    I'm also in agreement on this. We suddenly have what we thought was a blood Carrington is not and what we thought was the Colby kids are now blood Carrington's. I think I have that right. And what has become of this? I can see why many have issues with Dynasty. The writers are throwing everything at this reboot except the kitchen sink. Instill some calmness around the Carrington family and allow the story to become organic, not beat us around the head with shocking revelation after another. Another well known super soap from the 80's tried this in their continuation and it failed.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,134
    Medals:
    So that's why Steven will leave soon and James Mackay won't be on the show for much longer. :(

6. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    When OG Steven left the OG show, they brought in Adam, maybe we can have the new adam come in, and have him challenge hank, with Fallon being suspiious of new adam, because of the hank deception.

7. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,469
    Medals:
    Has this been announced? Or just rumoured?

8. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,831
    Medals:
    Well, I assume that she went where ever Hank went in the fire aftermath. No one knew that she had anything to do with Celia's shooting, so either no one has contacted the Carringtons about her or they just assume she's escaped the mental asylum. For all they know she could've gone off and jumped off a bridge. I've always assumed that they want her to be a recurring nutso a la Sheila on Bold and the Beautiful rather than a full time character though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +254
    I thought this was a good episode. I liked the twist with Steven and the heavier focus on Alexis, but there are still problems. This isn't a bad season like many shows when they hit their second year, but it's lacking the momentum it could have and runs the risk of being a disappointment if it continues the way it's going. By now we know nuDynasty can pull off a twist and a good cliffhanger. I'd rank season one's finale in the top three including original Dynasty and The Colbys, BUT they're doing what the original show did by having a great cliffhanger and not following up. I don't mind Claudia not being around (I'd save that until original Cristal returns), but you make Jeff and Monica Carrington's but don't follow up. A big focus in these three episodes should've been Dominique's arrival and what their being Carrington's means to the family. Instead they're hardly around and you now have ANOTHER paternity twist thrown in with Steven. Why should I believe they'll follow up on that, if not the Colby stuff?

I like most of the characters, stories and twists, but they need serious help with follow up. I need Alexis to get moving as well. She's been on too long to be in the same place in life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,677
    Medals:
    I think the fatal flaw which was Empire's undoing and is likely to be Dynasty's also is the lack of story lines that build over the course of the season. These kind of shock and awe story lines that are over as quick as they began get old pretty fast and there's little left to invest in.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +651
    'Announced' in a dedicated thread on this forum by the same person who announced Nathalie Kelley's departure. I recall I was told not to kill the messenger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    And why do all modern shows/soaps have to have a time jump between seasons? Whether they end a season on a cliffhanger or not. Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters, Revenge, Empire, TNT's Dallas, the list goes on. I think Riverdale avoided that between seasons 1 and 2, but this fall they did it, too.

I suppose the argument is that it gives them a creative shot in the arm, a chance to jump-start a season in a more effective way. But, I'm getting tired of it. Especially when there's an exciting cliffhanger that compels you to find out what happens next, as nuDynasty managed to deliver in May. Also, I gather, picking up directly from the cliffhanger is considered dated nowadays, a little too 1980s, which I find beyond silly.

To me it feels lazy. A cop out. As if they're incapable of writing a good follow-up episode without the help of a time-jump. Having said that, I've enjoyed the first 3 episodes, especially the paternity reveal, though I remain concerned about the overall direction and I miss Nathalie Kelley - I have a gay man's crush on her, lol.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,482
    Medals:
    You're right--time jumps are regarded as a crutch for TV writers. It gives the impression that the writer wrote him/herself into a corner and could not resolve their own plotline. They say that a good lawyer never asks a question in court that they don't already know the answer to. Well, a good writer never writes dramatic situations for his/her characters without the solution already devised. I think in this case it was more laziness than ineptitude. They wanted to keep writing the "party atmosphere" of the show (rich people living frivolous lives) and "real life" stuff like death, mourning and loss is just harshin' the buzz, man.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Time jumps only work on more broad cliffhangers, I agree that the current trend undercuts the impact of a cliffhanger, especially the one like we had last season. They had the opportunity to hit the ground running and lost it for no apparent reason. They could've accomplished everything they did picking up with the cliffhanger, still doing a time jump perhaps in episode two. It would've given them a more exciting season premiere had they picked up directly from the cliffhanger instead of basically starting fresh. New soaps lack the patience and pacing more than anything. nuDynasty literally is hitting so many right notes for me from characterization, storylines and cast, but the execution almost always undercuts the drama.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,808
    Following on from a major cliffhanger would not be dated in my opinion, especially so with Dynasty 2.0. I think the writers missed a great opportunity not continuing with the fire scene and allowing actors like Grant and Nicollette to flex their acting chops. Watching a scene where one of the characters was physically pulling Alexis to safety while she was screaming out for Cristal would give me hope this Alexis had some moral compass.

But the time jump had the Carrington family in party mode. It was c'est la vie to Cristal/Celia and on with the show. What was the point of Alexis running up those stairs screaming out for Cristal in the season ending cliffhanger when in the return season Alexis - in her wheelchair - reverses into Cristal/Celia's ashes, spilling them onto the marble floor. I cringed at that. To me is was just another excuse for the writers to give this version of Alexis another slapstick scene. Enough already!

And here is an interesting observation. Generally with cliffhanger episodes like the fire scene the actors continue filming so that footage can be used in the opening season episode. I mean setting up a scene like that wouldn't be cheap especially when you consider safety.

So far we've not seen anything. No flashback scenes...nothing. That's some serious dollars down the toilet so as not to recognise a former actress. Wish I had money to burn like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    I have to say, I'm really liking how they've portrayed Cristal so far. All her actions say that my wishes came true: she really was a sincere woman looking to provide emotional comfort/closure for Blake. She wasn't impressed by all the wealth - in fact, was even uncomfortable with it (her complaining about wearing Cristal's shoes reminded me of how Rita Lesley complained about wearing Krystle's shoes), and refused to take any of Blake's crap. Not only did their jet scene remind me of Blake and Krystle's from the original first season, but it also got me thinking of how, in that very same pilot, Krystle walked out on Blake, refusing to listen to him ("You talk too well.").

Blake was a little creepy at how he wanted Cristal to dress up like Celia, but, at least he wasn't humored about it; not like Jimmy Stewart in "Vertigo." And he later admitted he was wrong, and didn't deserve a second chance. So that's some growth for him, but the fact that Cristal has closed the door on "them" makes me wonder how the writers are going to push them into each other's arms... I mean, we all know Cristal's not going anywhere. ;)

Btw, I really hope we get another reference to the old show of Blake filling Krystle's apartment with an entire flower shop. Perhaps Blake can do the same, but have all the flowers be delivered to Cristal's office at the spa? Though that might come off more as annoying/intrusive by today's standards... not unless the movers remain behind, ready to take said flowers to wherever Cristal directs them (Blake can say, "You can even have them throw them out all over the highway, just hear me out!").

17. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,482
    Medals:
    Maybe the State of Georgia still considers them married? In the eyes of the law, Blake married Cristal Flores, not Celia Machado, and if Cristal is (possibly) still married to Mark Jennings ("not quite divorced"), then Georgia and/or Arizona will say she's a bigamist. She'll need some legal help getting out of such a situation, and of course any lawyer she hires might decide to milk the Carringtons for all they're worth "on his client's behalf" (without her knowledge or consent).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Who should play the new mark jennings, and should he still be a tennis pro?

19. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I'm not really liking the whole Anders being Steven's father. But we'll have to see how that ends up playing out. I can't even picture Anders and Alexis together, I just don't see it.

Also, I'm not really buying into Fallon/Culhane this season. Feels like they've both moved on. I think it would've made more sense if he would left at the end of the first season, like he said he going to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    Subtract 30 years from Anders:

[​IMG]

Add to him a young, unhappily married Alexis who's lost her only child and is desperate for any kind of comfort she can find:

[​IMG]

And then take into consideration that Anders and Alexis only had sex once (I think? I remember it was supposed to be a one night stand).

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1