nuDynasty Episode Chat S2E02 - Ship of Vipers

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty Episode Threads' started by tommie, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +903
    The Medical Examiner would have noted the amount of smoke in Celia's lungs and also would have calculated how long it would have taken her to bleed-out from the gunshot. If there was little to no smoke in her lungs it would have indicated she was shot well before the fire started.

I think the authorities are assuming the shooter and arsonist are one in the same: they shot Celia, then they set the fire to cover it up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. AZLiam

AZLiam Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Education
    Ratings:
    +149
    I do not even know where to start in regards to Alexis. It's tough to have preconceived ideas and expectations when watching a reboot. It's obvious they are writing her differently in this version of the show.

IMO, classic Alexis was strong, witty, classy, refined, cunning, manipulative, passionate, vengeful, confident AND insecure while being seductive. I feel like NuAlexis is a cross between a scorned Real Housewife, manipulative vixen and trashy tramp Sammy Jo with a sprinkle of cheap - I feel her character has not been fully fleshed out, or even partially at this point. Her attire is reminiscent of cougar 101. I have never gotten the impression that someone like NuAlexis would ever have attended any type of boarding school, let alone be the former wife to a oil tycoon with a multi-million dollar empire. But, maybe they are molding her into their own vision whether I like it or not - but I'll hold out hope.

I liked what Diahann Carroll once told Elaine Rich in regards to her character Dominique - to "write for a white male and you'll have the character...for a white man who wants to be wealthy and powerful". IMO, classic Alexis embodied elements of this as well, even before she became a Colby. NuAlexis does not, yet.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,960
    Medals:
    She wasn't dead when the fire broke out, so she would have inhaled smoke before the flames got to her. She may even have survived the gunshot if the fire hadn't spread. Did Claudia kill her or did Hank?

4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,153
    Medals:
    I guess it was a short-lived slow burn:lol:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,893
    Medals:
    You really believe he's dead? I thought from the moment the hooker told her tale to Fallon that we'd see Uncle Van Kirk (name?) standing in the background, forcing her to feed that story to Fallon. After all, it can't be that easy to make that body-double stunt of Fallon's work. I think he figured out what was going on, got pissed off that Fallon pulled a fast one on him, then decided to cook up this story to make Fallon's deal descend into chaos. As we saw, you can pay a hooker to do just about anything.

That first scene with Maura being a bitch to Fallon made me wonder if she and Fallon had somehow been separated at birth. Fallon's "bag of sugar" remark was my first inkling that Fallon was indeed raised in the South.

I assume that Blake will have to explain to Cristal J (and therefore to us) more details of Celia's death, especially the status of an investigation of what happened. Was there a murder investigation? I mean, she had a bullet in her, even if they determined she died of smoke inhalation. She, in turn, will have to tell Blake (and us) how she and Celia met, how Celia ended up with Cristal's name, and whether there was any actual identity theft.

For someone who was mad enough to write a tell-all book exposing all his family's dirty secrets, Liam sure doesn't seem all that upset with them now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,153
    Medals:
    Thanks, I just got a brilliant idea.

7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,960
    Medals:
    When will we meet Liam's parents? The uncle & his wife didn't seem crazy enough to outcrazy the Carringtons, as Liam said his family would. I suppose his parents make up the main focus in Liam's book. What will they do if they find out Fallon's part in uncle Van Kirk's death?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,145
    What I find confusing are those spewing forth their venom, on other websites, at Nathalie Kelley's performance as Cristal but are happy with Nicolette's portrayal as Alexis. Both characters are complete opposites of their original counterparts. So Nathalie gets the chop and Nicolette receives a free pass? I wonder what the focus/test groups are saying now?

I'd like to know if the powers that be are taking on board or seeking out the level of criticism now targeted at the character who is/was so pivotal to the Universe that is Dynasty.

9. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Medals:
    From what I remember hearing some time ago, they made the decision to axe Nathalie after the focus groups reacted badly to her during the early episodes. I'm guessing the writers realized their error and went about making her more sympathetic and likable, but by then they were too late. The decision had already been made. Plus, there actually was room for a replacement, given how "Cristal" was actually "Celia", which meant they could bring the "real" Cristal in. (Personally I thought that was a creative handling of a difficult situation.)

Its different with Nicolette, given how she is firmly established as the real Alexis. Replacing her with a different actress would be too much too soon. And there's the fact that her appearance did seem to spike the ratings a bit.

10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,103
    Medals:
    There's actually nothing wrong with Nicollette's Alexis - they took the character in a different direction. If she had been too much like Original Alexis I'm sure people would've bitched.

Natalie Kelley was stiff. That's why they axed her. Krystle needs to be more relaxed I guess.

11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,145
    I'm not advocating the replacement of Nicolette. That horse has bolted. What I find interesting is how the writers changed their behaviour towards Cristal in season 1 due to the backlash from viewers. As soon as those same writers put pen to paper on their version of Alexis shouldn't the alarm bells have gone off?

12. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Medals:
    Well, here's a vid showcasing Cristal Jennings' two scenes this episode:

So far she's giving off sincere vibes, and I hope that continues. I still wonder if they actually got Nathalie together with Ana for that locket-photo. It certainly could be photoshop, only their positions do suggest they were purposely posing for such a photo.

13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Medals:
    I never thought you were.

Give them time. There's still more to see. Hopefully.

14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,145
    And they took the character of Cristal in a different direction and the viewers bitched. So Nathalie is out. I'm firmly blaming the writing and directing. Nathalie may not have the depth of acting like Grant Show or Alan Dale but the casting director must have seen something in her. And in general I believe most actors can be stiff in new productions.

15. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,145
    So do I. From her few appearance so far I'm sensing that same vibe. I'd like to see this Cristal with a calming influence but I do await - with some trepidation - her first interaction with Fallon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,103
    Medals:
    I think season 2 should end with Cristal and Blake's wedding, but wait! What is her reasons for thinking she can help anyway?

17. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Medals:
    Emotional support? She was Celia's friend, and during times of the death of a loved one, friends and family tend to come together just for that. Only Blake hasn't really received that from his family aside from Sam and Anders.

Although I'm more curious about what Cristal meant by Blake being able to help her. Could it possibly have anything to do with Mark Jennings? Perhaps Cristal's looking for a divorce, only she needs the money to pay for it? Or is a family member of Cristal sick and in desperate need of surgery? Or could she just simply want emotional support as well?

Actually, I hope the Season 2 finale has Blake merely proposing to Cristal instead. I'd like the writers to keep things slow with them, especially considering that Cristal is, apparently, a friend of Celia's. It'd be extremely bad taste to get it on with your dead friend's husband only a month after said friend's passing. But if a year goes by, and the two have sufficiently gotten to know each other, then I say bring out the ring and let them be happy together. :)

Another interesting reference to the original show: Blake married Krystle twice. Here, Blake marries two Cristals. ^^

18. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,893
    Medals:
    It would be beyond strange if they had gotten the two actresses together to stage that locket photo. NK went back to Australia, if I recall correctly, and at best would be in Los Angeles now. They wouldn't foot a bill for her to come to Atlanta--or A-BC to go to LA--just to do a prop photo that could easily be 'shopped together.

Besides, it looked as if the lighting on the two halves of that photo were different (A-BC being well-lit, NK not as much). Photo-shopping such a small picture to be seen on-screen for a brief moment is quite easy. A similar photo-shop done for Knots Landing featured Stacy Galina's Kate in a full-sized portrait with Ava Gardner's Ruth, done up after Gardner's death, which looked more realistic--even when it was done in the early 1990s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,960
    Medals:
    That locket photo is definitely a work of Photoshop. The pose gives it away. If it had been a real photo, they'd be even closer together, possibly cheek to cheek or hugging. They obviously took a picture of Nathalie and asked Ana to pose for a photo that would look close to how Nathalie was posing. The background also gave it away, as it was nothing "special" going on. Easy photoshop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I actually didn’t mind how Cristal was written. It was updated so I accepted things would be different and that Cristal would be more assertive and have a troubled past. The problem is, I feel like they reset Cristal three or four times and Nathalie just wasn’t convincing at any of them. I wanted to like her and I did a bit, but she was a very weak actor and lacked chemistry with most of the cast.

The difference with Nicolette is that we know she’s a dynamic actress from her various roles and she IS popular. Desperate Housewives is still fresh in people’s minds and despite how much Marc Cherry resented it, she was a big part of that shows success. I think the viewers like her but she can only work with what’s on the page. I think she fits and has chemistry with everybody, but Alexis is a B or C tier character thus far. Based on Knots and her stint as Lucky we know she could handle a rich more refined character, but Alexis is broke so she’s playing her like the struggling hasbeen they’re writing. I don’t mind what they’re doing with her but I’m ready for her to get a love interest, her own money and a real purpose on the show. The handling of Alexis is their biggest area of opportunity IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1