nuDynasty Episode Chat S2E02 - Ship of Vipers

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by tommie, Oct 19, 2018.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,344

Premiers... today!

2. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +398
    This is it? 6 seconds of new footage? Well, they are really putting their efforts into promoting this show. :NI:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    I did discover an extended promo... only it got taken down before I could watch it. :(

4. Brian Carrington Colby

Brian Carrington Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +94
    And we have our new Season 2 opening credits......

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    An okay episode. Kirby disappointed me... and its really shallow, but my main disappointment in her is her hair. I hate her hair. Its all wrong. I just wanna cut it all off. The catfight was kinda lame as there was no proper buildup, both actresses looked like they could barely move in their overly tight, overly short dresses, and Fallon didn't get her grandmother's necklace back.

I did, however, like how Fallon ripping Kirby's dress open was matched up with Alexis ripping Melissa's dress open. :lol: I gotta say, I rather enjoyed seeing Kelly Rutherfold and Nicolette Sheridan acting off each other, even if it was only for a few seconds.

Blake wearing a shirt titled "Property of Jeff Colby" was a win for me. :lol: Plus it was kind've fun seeing him behave like a child, and there was a good payoff: he wanted those toy cars to give to Anders as a reminder of how they used to play with them when Blake was an actual kid. Sweet moment.

Sam eating the cold cuts out of Melissa's fridge... so relatable in that I've done that before. :lol:

Mora was an interesting addition (I like how she referred to Fallon as a barbie), I wonder if she'll play a bigger part down the line? She vaguely reminded me of Sable, but only vaguely.

And I did enjoy how Fallon got herself out of sleeping with Liam's creepy uncle (the way how she did reminded me of a remark my sister made about a "Mad Men" episode in its 7th season, when a coworker made it clear to Joan he expected her to sleep with him; my sister said Joan should have just bought him a prostitute), and now he's dead. Obviously a reference to Cecil's death, only with a different play-out.

I enjoyed Monica in this episode, but I kinda hated how she believed Kirby over Fallon with no questions asked. Although I could understand her annoyance at Fallon insisting she fire Kirby ("She doesn't even work here!"), and I liked how she told off Jeff. I hope Jeff's closing scene means they're trying to cook up something different for him so he'll stop obsessing over Blake so much.

Heh, and Kirby getting arrested for assaulting Fallon was pretty sweet. A dip of realism in a crazy world.

The stuff between Steven and Sam was kinda meh. "You trusted your crazy mother-in-law over your husband!" And YOU, Steven, kept your love-child a secret from YOUR husband. The marriage is off to a great start. And I was annoyed at Sam for trying to put all the blame on Alexis, who actually did have a pretty good motive for being suspicious: a pre-menopausal woman getting pregnant by a gay man she slept with once *does* raise some eyebrows. I wish Sam had brought that reasoning up. It wouldn't have made Steven less angry, but it would have made it clear to him why Sam spied on Melissa.

Also, I enjoyed the scenery and settings for New York. I couldn't help but be reminded of "Gossip Girl."

One thing I really do like though is the slow burn of how Cristal Jennings is being integrated into the show. She's slowly but surely easing her way in, and so far she's coming across sincere. For a second I was afraid she had lied about being a nurse, but thankfully she said she tried explaining who she was to the gatekeeper, who only assumed she was a nurse (probably wouldn't happen in real life, but hey, its a soap; little things like that can slide by for the sake of the story).

I wonder if they actually got Nathalie Kelley to pose with Ana Contreras for that photo in her locket, or if it was photoshopped (probably the latter, but still, we got a photo with two "Cristals").

Heh, and I can't help but love the little moment Blake and Cristal had when he first sees her. I mean, who can blame him? The woman's gorgeous, like some night goddess. But it looks like Cristal Jennings isn't going to be the "real" Cristal Flores, given how she's introduced herself as a friend of Celia's. I hope they come up with a good reason for why Cristal would think Celia would want her to "help" Blake (unless she's talking about just being there for emotional support?) and why Cristal thinks Blake could help her too.

Right now my biggest concern is that they have Cristal be unimpressed and disinterested in the Carrington wealth. That was what helped me root for Krystle in the original series; she wasn't in it for the money, she really loved Blake and his kids, and wanted to make them a real family. That should be Cristal's motivation too... although if Blake sticks to his guns about not giving his money to his kids, he might change his will so that it all goes to her. Which would give Alexis (and possibly Fallon) good reason to get up in arms.

• Like Like x 3
  6. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    I know it's for exposition, but I did roll my eyes at Alexis having Hank as "Hank" on her phone. Talk about setting yourself up for failure here...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,921
    Funny how we now consider 1 1/2 episodes to be a "slow burn."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    It's funny when you think about the Rita/Krystle plot, although to be fair, even back then there seemed to be a general consensus that it was being dragged out.

Still, watching Knots Landing earlier this year you had Karen being held captive for five or six episodes, something that would likely be resolved today before the final act.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    Speaking of Hank, I forgot to mention in my review, I rather enjoyed how idiotic he was in his scene with Alexis when she gave him a Rembrandt, and had to explain to him what "collateral" meant and such. The cherry on top was him wanting a bigger painting and Alexis looking so very near the end of her rope as she puts her sunglasses on. The look on her face was like, "Seriously? I owe money to THIS guy?!" :lol:

Meh, considering how much has already happened with all the other characters in just these two episodes, what's going on with Cristal really does feel like a slow burn.

Plus, I also liked the moment with Alexis showing concern for Blake's arm and wanting to put ice ("Or does it need heat?") on it; its really setting up that Alexis has fallen for Blake again, and she is NOT going to like him getting it on with yet another 20-years-his-junior-woman.

10. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    Just a guess - Cristal's married name is Jennings. She and Celia met in a hospital (for some reason or another) and Cristal decided to let Celia use her maiden name Cristal Flores. I'm assuming they were friends, maybe Celia was working some undocumented job and needed papers; Cristal let her use her old ID etc.

11. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    Possible.

12. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,069
    Crazy Kirby is one of the few (if not the only one) things the show has done right to justify making a reboot out of the original: taking a plot that was not done well in the original but had potential--Kirby being resentful of all she was close to but could not have and actually being more than a little nuts--and milking it for all it can give as the original never bothered to do.

Because Peach DYNASTY is burning plots so fast, I expect Melissa's baby will be bedding a Van Kirk by next season.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    Personally I felt the whole episode felt flat. Once again the character of Fallon has grown on me perhaps due to her being away from the family. It's a slightly more mature Fallon I wish to see rather than recoil to immature brat when mommy or daddy are around. Speaking of immature. What gives with Blake and Alexis.? Once again the writers (are they teenagers themselves) are developing these two characters like they're in their 20's. Where is the all powerful Blake Carrington? "No more money kids!" Gee, I'm shaking in my boots. It would appear the failures of Blake Carrington 1.0 have morphed into Blake Carrington 2.0. And don't get me started on Alexis 2.0. Joining the family for breakfast wearing nothing but GOD knows what. Really? This is the best they can do with Alexis and her High School drama antics? Enough with the Hank character, he is simply a distraction and its not even funny.

Something I enjoyed in Season 1 was the relationship between Anders and Sam. There was a natural flow of comedy between these two actors without it feeling forced. It looked like Anders was becoming a father figure to Sam as the young man felt a little out of his depth at times within the family. It's missing in this series return. What I also enjoy watching is Sam and his fondness for food. The guy always has an appetite. It's a little quirk I enjoy seeing in characters, something that is missing from the others.

Another surprise standout for me is Melissa (Kelly Rutherford). There is an air of coldness about her and everytime I look at her I think she could have played a great version of Alexis rather than Nicollette Sheridan. Kelly has the look and demeanour I expect from the former Mrs Carrington.

Another distraction is the Colby clan. Put the two of them on a private jet never to return again. Are the producers demanding a spin-off already by having them included? Much like what occured in TNT Dallas this version of Dynasty is becoming more about the secondary characters rather than focus on the Carrington clan. I wouldn't mind so much if Jeff and Monica had a more meaningful relationship with the Carrington family but it's just not happening.

Score: C

Where was Bo? :(

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    I liked that Fallon could see her mothers nipples "all the way from New York." :D:D:D

I suppose, except she makes me think more of "Madeline" than "Alexis."

Dead. ;) Nah, just kidding. Although... now I'm hoping we get a scene where Bo takes an instant liking to Cristal, and when Alexis calls to him, he ignores her. Much like what happened the previous season when Bo ignored Fallon in favor of Alexis. :lol:

15. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    Actually, some other stray thoughts:

-Monica mentioned Kirby "is sleeping with boys now." Is that a hint that Kirby is a lesbian? Or bisexual? ^^

-So far I've only been thinking of all the ways/reasons Alexis could end up hating Cristal, but now I realize one perfect way for Cristal to hate (or at least dislike) Alexis from the start: since Cristal was a friend of Celia's, Cristal could suspect Alexis had something to do with her death.

"Poor Celia. I wonder who shot her. Did you?"

And if Cristal does end up suspecting that, then keeping Hank around could be justified, in that he ends up inadvertently helping clear Alexis' name, and gets shot in a police shootout for his troubles.

16. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    She's a jilted lover of Fallon's?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Emeleez Navidad

Emeleez Navidad Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,100
    I can't recall, but is anyone aware that Celia was shot before the flames took her? Other than Claudia that is. Or is her death ruled as victim or arson only?

My favorite parts of this episode were the details. Blake wearing the "Property of Jeff Colby" t-shirt, Kirby naming a rat Fallon, Hank's stupidity, Sam eating Melissa's ham, the ripping of clothes and Fallon's nipple remark to Alexis etc. :D:D:D:D

So far I am digging Kirby. Hair and accent. ;) And her lingering hatred towards Fallon. Also, I very much like Melissa. She and Alexis were very entertaining together.

I like Jeff better than I did in the beginning of the series. There was something about those glasses he wore in the first episodes that just bothered me. So much so that I couldn't see past them. Since they introduced Cesil, he's grown on me. I wonder how long it will be until we get to meet his mom.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    New jeff is evolving into OG jeff, and how long until we get mark Jennings?

19. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Again, I skimmed through the episode. I don't like Liam and the family he has. Did his father die at the end? Again, I just skimmed it. He tried getting with Fallon and then he was blind folded and he mistook some other girl for her.

Kirby is good! I liked the fight scene with her and Fallon.

I don't care much for Kelly Rutherford's character.

New theme was good. It needs to run two rounds of the tune and then those last few notes. They cut it a tad short. If anything MONICA should be included in the intro. Maybe Liam, too, if his character is staying.

Was fake Adam in the episode? I skimmed it, so I wouldn't know. I didn't see him in any of the places I skimmed.

Again, HORRID ratings. Should have been dropped before the back 9 of last season. Again, Netflix deal.

20. Kristin Kringle Channing

Kristin Kringle Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,370
    I enjoyed some parts of the episode, others not so much. I did find some bits quite funny. Maura seems like a character with potential and it was funny when Fallon said 'yeah, she's a real bag of sugar'. What I didn't find particularly funny is Alexis' crappy comedy caper of the week. They need to start taking the character seriously, cause I can't until they do.

I was just getting invested in the Van Kirk uncle and he's dead already!

Liam continues to be just so goddamn cute, sexy and likeable.

• Like Like x 1