nuDynasty Episode Chat S2E01 Twenty-Three Skidoo

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty Episode Threads' started by tommie, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Medals:
    There was a lot that I didn't like. I just hate the overtly tacky persona of nuAlexis. Her outfits are vile. That diamante tie necklace was horrendous. Then the white ruffle top. Her styling is awful and I just don't get it. Yes she's broke but surely she would still be able to dress fabulously on a budget as she knows how to look expensive. How to use certain rules and colours to give off the right look. It makes even less sense as she looked great in the flashback scene last season. You don't lose taste when you lose money. If she was at one point a high profile trophy wife she should still dress well now.
    I did however like her wig for the costume party. Those turbans were terrible I agree.

Over all there is just this sense of juvenile silliness surrounding this version of DYNASTY. Alexis is the most disappointing aspect though. She's not a seductive, vixen villainess, she's not even fashion fabulous. When she arrived in that motorized wheelchair contraption my heart sank. Is she there only for stupid comedic effect? There is like this silly girly frivolity to her that just isn't intimidating or threatening. The show is really missing something in that regard. If she's like this in season two then that appears to be it. She's not going to progress or be what I want her to be. I don't know how long I will continue to watch.

Alexis should be a scheming, Machiavellian, treacherous bitch. She's none of these things, even though they keep trying to tell us she is. It's even more frustrating as Nicollette could do it and do it well but the writers created a character and a back story and now they are stuck with it.

There were other shows like Gossip Girl that had a lot of these same aspects and I just wasn't into them. They didn't work for me as they were too childish and silly. Too dumb. I had higher hopes for this reboot. I almost gave up in season one, and then it started to pick up and the season finale was unexpectedly great. However the season two opener hasn't convinced me things are really on the up and up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Medals:
    He's also on another Netflix show I'm watching Queen of the South in which he plays a shady accountant/financial lawyer.

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,149
    Medals:
    Doesn't it feel good to take a walk on wild side every now and then:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,239
    Medals:
    It was almost like an homage to Claudia's death in original Dynasty they way Cristal died in the fire, had no funeral, and then it's almost like she never existed. She was erased too quickly and completely for my liking. Unless she's not dead at all...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,272
    I have gone through the same reactions. I remember watching GOSSIP GIRL for a while, but it was obvious they were going for a high-schoolish vibe I could care less about. More and more I think that is also the vibe of this show--or rather that it dived back into it after coming up for air the last few episodes. Who knows, maybe there is an audience for THAT kind of show and the more together version I would like it to be would tank with CW's audience--though judging by the ratings I can't tell HOW it could do worse.

They assume their target audience doesn't care. Or is too baked to remember--or figure out how to play the previous episode on the DVR.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,893
    Medals:
    I already mentioned how the handling of Celia-Cristal's ashes repulsed me. Adding insult to injury, they did not even have the decency to follow up and add some kind of line into dialogue about what they did to recover the cremains, and where they ended up. If Alexis had her way, Mrs. Gunnerson would have picked up the ashes in a Dustbuster. I have this unsettling image of all the party-goers doing the Charleston on the spot the ashes landed hours before.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,239
    Medals:
    Oh wow, just googled that. I thought you made it up but it's a real thing. Cool!

8. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,893
    Medals:
    This concludes the educational portion of our program this evening. :hat:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,142
    I'm afraid this version of Alexis is one we're stuck with. As another soapchater rightfully pointed out. The horse has bolted and there is no reigning it back. What was so fascinating about original Dynasty was this relationship between Alexis, her ex-husband and children but more importantly her interactions with the new wife, Krystle. I know others here will say the likes of Fallon were pushed sideways but from that first moment when Alexis and Krystle had their, "Where is the Ming," chat the audience were hooked. Dynasty did become the Alexis vs Krystle show.

So where does that leave this version? I know the producers said they were going to explore the mother/daughter relationship but right now I just don't care enough about Alexis. I had issues with Fallon in Season 1 but in this season return she was carrying the episode and I actually enjoyed it. For some stupid reason the writers have decided to reverse the roles. Instead of Alexis being the mother to Fallon it's now Fallon being the mother to Alexis. Problem is I believe Fallon is stronger as a character away from Alexis. So where does this leave Alexis?

I'm wondering if the writers deliberately had Blake bed his ex-wife in the hope Alexis thinks she is back in the Carrington bosom. Then along comes Cristal Jennings. Maybe then the true face of Alexis will be revealed. But will the audience accept it?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dw725

Dw725 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I loved the homages to the original. Down to the snake jewelry on nuAlexis’s arm. I swear Joan wore that at one point.

In the original, Didn’t Alexis come back bc she was out of money? I felt like original Anders kinda broached that. I could be reinvisioning bc of the new show, but she also wasn’t in power until Cecil died and got his company. This new version made her more down and out.

Could Alexis bed Mr Van Kirk and end up owning CA? Is he still married?

Was shocked by Blake’s actions at the end. John Forsythe was always against affairs.

I am excited to see how Crystal Jennings comes into the fold. Even if her identity was stolen, I don’t think she would ever legally be married to Blake. I am also excited for another Mark Jennings though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Medals:
    What affair? Blake and Alexis are both single now. ^^

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dw725

Dw725 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +29
    True. Didn’t really think that through. I guess bc I’m assuming he’s still gonna be married to the new Crystal somehow.

13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Medals:
    In the original she was living on an allowance that Blake had been paying her for 16 years. She didn't come back for money. She came back to destroy Blake with her testimony at Blake's trial for the murder of Ted Dinard. And so it all began.
    The whole introduction and execution of nuAlexis is downright dreadful in comparison. I have to wonder how well the new show has been mapped out. It seems even more so a case of "stuff just happens" than original Dynasty in it's sucky years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,960
    Medals:
    In this version, the focus is more on the younger generation. The original had Blake, Krystle & Alexis as the main characters. This version has much more focus on Fallon. I'd say she's the main character. Cristal is 2nd, as all main characters need a formidable foe. I think that is why they de-aged Cristal.

15. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,272
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Medals:
    But seriously what was the point of nuAlexis' return in this version? I cant even remember. And she's not really out to destroy Blake for anything. She hasn't lied about Fallon's paternity. She basically had a few snide remarks about Cristal and fought stupidly with Fallon in the pool. The Adam scheme seemed like it would have been deliciously evil, but it lasted what? 4 episodes?
    NuAlexis is not a force to be reckoned with, and her trailer full of tragic fashion choices and Atlanta pig farm past do not instil any idea that that is something she may become.
    Nicollette is doing a very strange interpretation of the role. She's playing Alexis almost like she's much, much younger than she is meant to be. There is no strength to the character, no gravitas. She's a watered down Alexis and that simply cant be. It's a waste of a role and a waste of her acting talents.
    It's starting to really make just want to go watch Joan do her thing.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Medals:
    I still have hope for NuAlexis, and here's why:

First, its obvious that she wants to get back with Blake. Blake, however, will obviously want to move on.

Either in Ep2 or Ep3 Cristal Jennings will arrive on the scene (actually, the fact that she runs a spa could mean that one of the main characters will end up on her turf before she enters the mansion), and Blake will begin wining and dining her, as the Ep3 summary suggested.

Also, Blake has made it clear he intends to disinherit his kids - or just spend all the money on himself first. Now that he's got a new squeeze, he could easily just marry her and leave all the money to the baby they have.... which is something the original Alexis was afraid would happen in the original Season 2 (or at least something similar to that effect).

Thus, NuAlexis has what she hasn't had so far: a clear motive. She now must get rid of this new young floozy and reinstate both herself and her own kids in Blake's life...

...and possibly we get a complete reenactment of the horse/shotgun incident?

Course, that's only a possibility... and I hope the writers have already planned on something like that.

18. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,272
    It's easy to accuse the writers and the actress, but let's not forget to put the blame where it really belongs, on the one who gave the show the idea to cast her in the first place. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Medals:
    SoapChat? I do recall she was one of the actresses suggested when we were all wondering who we'd cast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,272
    I believe that'd be @Alexis. :D

• Funny Funny x 3