1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

nuDynasty Episode Chat S2E01 Twenty-Three Skidoo

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by tommie, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,180
    Medals:
    And here comes the Cristal-on-Cristal catfight once Dead Cristal is resurrected.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    But is she wearing a better wig?

3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,841
    Medals:
    Surprise! I'm about to start a thread called "Turbans worn on nuDynasty - lesbians beware!".

It'll be exclusive.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,504
    Medals:
    So I had to wait until tonight for my local station to air the episode. Heck, at least I didn't have to wait 38 hours. :fp:

I was surprised they gave NS second billing. I guess once again they don't want to copy the old show and do a "...and NS as Alexis Carrington". I really wanted them to copy the old show with a proper opening titles sequence, though.

That paparazzi photographer who got the knuckle sandwich looked a lot like the guy that plays Michael on General Hospital. Except Michael doesn't have a broken nose.

Speaking of Michaels, Dynasty's Michael seems to have forgiven and forgotten the whole Clarke County thing that killed his father, reuniting with Fallon so soon. Maybe he had a closer brush with death in the barn than we were shown.

I know "inappropriate" is a lost concept with these producers, but partying the night away so soon after the death of Blake's wife still feels tacky. And that scene with the urn was unspeakably tasteless. It hinted of a slam on Nathalie Kelley somehow, though maybe I'm just projecting.

The CW ought to explore the merchandising opportunities of Alexis's "I need money!" T-shirts.
    I'm also quite fond of re-using Blake's new catch-phrase, "Happy Anniversary everyone. Bite me!"

Very good episode, though, and it seems to be laying a lot of groundwork.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,847
    Medals:
    Those turbans look awful, and they should have done her hair differently.

Why did Alexis say "please call me, Hank". Isn't she supposed to think he's Adam?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    My likes:
    - The time jump. I wouldn't want a whole episode of people sulking.
    - Cristal Jennings. Good one! And I hope there is a Mark Jennings waiting to make his entrance mid-season.
    - Bo surviving and being man's best friend.
    - Blake and Alexis getting it on. In the original, Alexis always had feelings remaining for Blake. That should continue.
    - Kirby's accent and her seeking out Jeff.
    - Fallon singing.
    - Blake and Fallon arguing about something far more important than the company.

My dislikes:
    - Fake Adam starting the fire. I wanted the firestarter reveal to be more epic.

Comments:
    - I think fake Cristal really is dead. There is no need for her anymore, as far as I see.
    - I think Fallon really does love Culhane, but she's also developing real feelings for Liam. Her dream suggested a woman torn between two lovers.
    - Fake Cristal must have lied to Sam regarding real Cristal. But why?
    - There MUST be a Mark Jennings coming, I've decided. If fake Cristal stole her identity, then her name was Cristal Flores when that happened. She could have continued to be named Cristal Flores (people can have the exact same name, afterall) or chosen a new name, but why on earth choose Jennings? Flores and Jennings are nothing alike. I think she married.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    She, as a mother, must be the first to figure out the truth. To save face with the rest of the family, if nothing else. Pretend to be the first to find out his real identity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,847
    Medals:
    I assume she told them she "found out" just before the photo shoot (and the fire?)

9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,504
    Medals:

Even as the family thought he was Adam, they acknowledged when he was hanging out with them that he had been raised using the name Hank, and didn't pressure him to take the name "Adam".

Like so many others on soaps, perhaps RealCristal Flores was only presumed dead by Celia in that hospital in Mexico, but rallied back afterwards...then crossed over to Arizona to meet/marry Mark Jennings while Celia (now using "Cristal") was working her way into PR at Carrington-Atlantic. A smart cookie like Celia would have known better than to steal the identity of a person she knew to still be alive. I guess. Heck, Cristal might still be married to Mark Jennings for all we know.

I am however left wondering...does Cristal know "that woman" not only had the first half of her name, but the second-half as well? If she was so fascinated by the tabloid exploits of the Carringtons, you'd think she would know Cristal Carrington's maiden name.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,847
    Medals:
    How did they find out he dunit?

11. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    Alexis talked about him on TV as the main suspect. How the police first suspected him we never found out. But when Alexis talked to him on the phone, she told him that she didn't mean that he should have set the place on fire.

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,847
    Medals:
    I understand why Alexis thought he dunit, but she couldn't share that suspicion with the other Carringtons without incriminating herself.
    From the other Carringtons point of view it was strange that he had disappeared but that's not reason enough to suspect him, and the "mother" wouldn't even want to believe that her own son would do something like that. Not her precious "Adam".

Unless she has already told the Carringtons (after the fire) that Hank had exposed himself (shortly before the fire) as an impostor and dangerous person. In that case she no longer has to pretend.

Did she explain why she ran upstairs to save Celia? How could she "know" she was there?

13. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,841
    Medals:
    She locked her in there.

14. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I would post my opinion but it's mostly the same with the ratings thing. How a show can get under 1 million and still be saved?

So easy to guess that fake Adam started the fire.

I got bored just around the party scene and just rushed through the episode after that point online. Overall it was okay. Better than how season 1 began. But I did get bored halfway.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  15. AZLiam

AZLiam Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Overall, I thought the season premiere was OK and I'm happy the show is back, but it left me wanting more.

I agree with others' comments about Alexis. Let me preface by saying that I loved Nicollette in Knots and Desperate Housewives. I know Joan really set the bar, but I believe this show is creating just another cougar vixen rather than ALEXIS. Yes, the show is a reboot, not the original, so they can re-create the character of Alexis in their own vision. However, I would like to see more clever , quick-witted dialogue and one-liners written for (and delivered by) the character, which IMO is severely lacking compared to classic Alexis's larger-than-life persona even during her early episodes.

I really like the idea of Ana Brenda as Cristal Jennings (I love her smile and dimples too). However, I'm not sure I'm willing to invest in another woman trying to pass herself off as the real Cristal Flores, unless she truly is Cristal Flores. I was hoping, like I stated back in early Sept. that Mark Jennings would be involved somehow, but that NuCristal would find her way to Atlanta because she realized that she was technically married to Blake. Not having her married to or divorced from Mark would be a missed opportunity to set up an eventual conflict between Alexis and Fallon like in Classic Dynasty, although again, they may deviate from the original. Guess we'll see...

I liked Fallon in this episode and certainly enjoyed her argument with Blake as I believe it brought more depth to both characters. I also liked Hank threatening Alexis; however, making him come across as dense (how many hours are in a day?) seemed forced and felt a little flat to me. I also like Alexis questioning how a menopausal woman had gotten pregnant by a gay guy. Seeing that episode 5 has cast a "sex-starved surrogate", as well as a "teen surrogate", coupled with Sam's new desire to become a father, I'm curious as to whether or not Melissa's child really is Steven's.

In any case, I think there were a couple of items that were left unresolved that could have taken just a quick mention such as: How the hell did Steven get out of the burning stables? How exactly did Cristal/Celia die? Hank told Alexis that the news said it was from a gunshot wound. Was it just from the gunshot, did she die of smoke inhalation, did her body burn up, a combination of it all?

I sometimes feel the writers/producers have set the bar low on what they expect the audience to accept and I'm amenable to this occasionally and understand them forging ahead with the new season, but after an exceptional season finale last season, I was left me wanting more and it gave me somewhat of a post-Moldavian Massacre letdown feeling. I hope they slow down the pace just a little with the show now that we have been caught up with the time jump since the season premiere episode seemed to happen at breakneck speed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    Anyone guessing that Melissa will fall off a horse next week?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Colterton

Colterton Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Was disappointed we didn't see a continuation of the fire scenes in the opening few minutes of the episode. Usually when filming these type of scenes, they film some additional footage and stock scenes to account for different outcomes to be used at the producers will, next season/episode.
    However the subtle pathos in scenes with both Sam, and Blake, prior to their library scene together all seemed genuine to put some reality of emotion about the loss of Cristal. Even Fallon mentioned her feeling if loss and respect for Cristal in her first scene in the bedroom with Culhane.
    The party scenes were well staged and executed. The production team have learnt how to use more extras to fill the room and stage a party in the mansion set. The use of classic filming/camera techniques to effectively blur out the background whilst doing closeups on Fallon whilst singing was a nice touch.
    The use of original Dynasty stories such as the twenties party (La Mirage opening), Kirby arriving, and the impending arrival of Dr Nicholas Toscanni are great content potentially, depending how they are used and developed.
    Hopefully episode 2 will showcase the new opening titles as we know the score for extended titles has been recorded and its production shared online.
    Overall a positive start generally which hopefully will strengthen over the next few early season 2 episodes.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,504
    Medals:
    The only question in my mind is how they get her onto the horse in the first place. Pregnant women on soaps ought to know by now to avoid horses. And staircases. And cars. And especially arguments while riding in cars. They probably should just go into seclusion.

I did not like Fallon and Steven's seeming non-concern for their father's emotional state upon his return. There was an obvious writers' choice for that to happen (the writers wanted an excuse for Blake to 'unload' on his kids during that party), but I think such non-concern over their father's condition (especially when he returned "looking like death warmed over" as my grandma used to say) created the genuine sense that they do not really love him or empathize with him on a human level. They gave lip service to their own sadness over what happened to Celia-Cristal, though they made it feel as if the fire had happened six months or a year ago--not one short month. Only Sam and Blake were behaving as if the events were still fresh in their minds, making their scene more meaningful.

As the scenes played out in this episode, the writing made it appear that Fallon and Steven barely cared that Celia-Cristal died, and cared even less that their father lost his wife after less than a year of marriage and was an emotional wreck. It especially was not a good look for Steven, since Celia-Cristal brought Sam into Steven's life and was a great champion for their relationship. Celia-Cristal was generous and supportive of Steven like a proper stepmother. The woman died at his wedding reception, for Christ's sake. Fallon always gives off a self-obsessed vibe (even if it can be seen as a defense mechanism most of the time) so her glossing over such an event isn't too surprising, but I expected more out of Steven.

Steven and Fallon both failed their father when Blake returned, and Blake of course paid them back handsomely at the party. So they hurt him and he hurt them back. This was predictable, but I really wish they had gone the less-predictable route and let us see some genuine father-daughter-son scenes for once. They can stab each other in the back anytime, but this was a situation where they ought to have been there for one another. If such an event can't bring them together, what can?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,847
    Medals:
    Everyone seems to link Melissa's pregnancy to Krystle's, but OldSammy Jo also showed up with a surprise baby (Danny).
    But should Melissa die during childbirth, then maybe there could be custody battle - Melissa's husband (keep forgetting his name) versus Steven.
    And how would Sammy Jo testify? Maybe he doesn't want to raise Melissa's baby?

20. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,504
    Medals:
    I keep calling Melissa's husband "Alan-Michael," but only because Rick Hearst (the actor who played Senator Daniels) played Alan-Michael Spaulding on Guiding Light for many years. Hearst played several other soap roles, but he'll always be Alan-Michael in my book. I often amuse myself by referring to actors by a role I remember them playing.