nuDynasty Episode Chat S02E09 Crazy Lady (21st December)

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty Episode Threads' started by tommie, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,144
    Medals:
    Yes, I'm feeling I'm becoming more and more detached - not that they ever made much effort to get me emotionally involved but the connection with O.Dynasty kept me intrigued.

The iconic "baby on the rooftop" scene should feel Very Dynasty, the fact that it didn't can only be interpreted as the result of not being able to "soap" these characters into my world of experience, as it were.
    I had hoped for a Dynasty With A Twist or even a fabulous parody, but this is not a delicious TV cocktail, and it's neither shaken nor stirred. But whatever it is, it's burned.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,141
    As terrible as this sounds it might have been best if Claudia actually had her baby when she tripped. As shocking as that event sounds I don't believe I'd still care. It all started in episode 1, season 1 when Fallon steps off the plane after visiting Denver and is greeted by Michael. After some woeful dialogue Michael realised he'd skip breakfast and so Fallon decided she was the next best thing. We're then introduced to Krystle, oops Cristal, laid out on Blake's desk with her ankles pointing to the heavens. Instead of taking notes she was taking Blake. Since then Dynasty has evolved into some badly written comedy skit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,141
    I'm a little stumped on the Manny character. What was the purpose of creating, bringing in this character? If he was created as a stooge to throw our scent off with Claudia's return then it failed because I picked it early he had taken the snot-rag.

4. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,240
    Medals:
    I think he was created to drive Sam (and the audience) away from Steven.

5. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,141
    Speaking of Steven. I'm staying interested in this series only to see what devilish plot the writers have come up with regarding the character. I bet I'll laugh out loud at the result.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +728
    ^ I think you might @Rove, if they give Steven a new face (not surprising) without saying why he needs a new face (surprising). Assuming they keep him alive, of course.

7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,240
    Medals:
    Finally watched this midseason finale and it was quite intense. I just hope we're done with that awful Mrs. Stone character and that really forced storyline for Michael now.
    Claudia on the roof top was a very nicely done nod to the original and at first i wasn't sure if the baby would turn out to be a doll as well, because through Claudias eyes of course we still saw a real baby... very well done.
    The whole Cristal replacement was a terrible mistake, i think Nathalie Kelley did it way better, the new actress just doesn't fit in. But that "And who the hell are YOU?!" line from Claudia towards nuCristal was just soooo hilarious!!! :lmao:
    So we're 9 episodes in now and 4 out of them were really BAD stinkers and the show would have done much better without those.
    It seems to me that 22 episodes per year are just too many to handle for those involved, if each season had 12 or 13 episodes, it really could be a very decent little show.
    But as of now, it's really hit or miss. One week good, the next week a total letdown and mess.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,141
    I agree. Last season the top brass had confidence in Dynasty so approved a 22 episode return season, not even TNT Dallas was afforded this luxury. So with that vote of confidence those behind the scenes should have knuckled down and developed a strong story arc for Season 2. Granted they had to deal with the mess of their own making by listening to those test audiences who did not warm to Cristal. The writers - and nobody else - created this version of Cristal however the fault was planted firmly at Nathalie's feet.

Season 2 should have been about relaxing the characters, adding depth. I wanted to see real emotion emit from the shocking revelation Cristal was dead. What did we end up with? Alexis reversing into the hall table knocking the urn off and poor Cristal's ashes splayed out on the marble. From this point it's been one pathetic attempt at creating comic scene after another and mainly involving - and the expense of - one of the most iconic characters to ever grace the small screen, Alexis Carrington.

I'd suggest when the curtain finally falls on this reboot their should be a public hearing into how not to create a continuation (TNT Dallas) and a reboot, Dynasty. Dallas as a continuation could write itself, clearly not for those masquerading as experts in their craft. I was never a fan of Dynasty as a reboot because I thought there were enough bread crumbs left from the original series to develop that continuation and who didn't wish to see the electrifying Dame Joan Collins return in all her glory. But when the reboot was announced the showrunners had a clean slate. The end result is of their doing. Don't blame the audience for not wishing to view the tripe you think is compelling viewing.

From all this I'm left with a sadness. Two of the most iconic television series have been treated so appallingly no one will ever wish to touch the brand Dallas or Dynasty, again.

Rant over.

Happy 2019 all :hats:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,144
    Medals:
    I found it delightfully disrespectful and it could have worked with a dramatic or satirical approach, but it was just one of the many flimsy gags and basically yet another excuse for Fallon to roll her eyes.
    And eventually that becomes the entire tone of the show: sighing and rolling eyes. NuDynasty is dreary and tiresome, something I can't say of NuDallas.
    I know that many Dallas fans did not like the new characters and the storylines, but how they did it was always full of energy and dedication, they had a better cast, the acting was better - and so forth and so on.

It should be noted that these last 3 horrible episodes did not feature James MacKay, and now I wonder if the much criticized Steven Carrington is actually the best character (and actor) of the show. Is he the one who can save NuDynasty? It would take a miracle as CWD is pretty much DEAD to me, but never say never (See? I'm too generous for this world).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,957
    Medals:
    It was a very nice twist having we see an actual baby with Claudia (after all, we thought maybe Matthew was alive there for a little while because of her craziness). Having the baby fall off the roof was a big OMG moment. My jaw dropped thinking "that did NOT JUST DO THAT!!!" As they referenced Game of Thrones in the episode before (Fallon telling Alexis that "we're not overthrowing the Lannisters"), I thought they'd really go all Game of Thrones on us with a deeply disturbing death. So now the "who killed Celia?" story is concluded. Cat's out of the bag. One story arc concluded. But that story had me disappointed about one thing: no Danny Carrington. No Little Blake Carrington anymore.

Lesson repeated by Dynasty: Never trust a motherly male nanny on any occasion unless it's a sit-com.

Kirby could finally prove herself. No one listened to her, so she went out on her own. However, having her knock out knife-carrying Manny on her own was too soapy. Come on! It would have been better if she had been stabbed somewhere - not somewhere directly life-threatening, but somewhere where she would only need a one-day visit to the hospital.

Speaking of which, why do so few people get injured in fights on TV or film? Normal people bleed when they get punched in the face. Many break their noses. And most people do get hit by bullets when someone fires a buttload of them directly at you. At least in this episode, someone did actually get hit. I didn't think it was possible. Will Jeff live or die? My vote is on live. Not that Dynasty is afraid of canning main actors, but he's the only Colby on contract. Plus, I like him.

Could the hunt for Adam Carrington continue in second half of s2? Alexis made sure to mention Adam during the TV interview. Was it all for Claudia's benefit, or maybe it was a direct plea to anyone listening who might know something? She obviously does love her children (even Fallon, proven when she ran Mimi over thereby losing her chances to get into high-class society again). And as far as we know, she has absolutely no idea where real Adam is.

Mark Jennings is coming, isn't he? When Cristal was hugging and smelling her soccer jersey with the name Jennings on the back with tears in her eyes, I doubt she was upset about leaving her old team for the new one Blake bought. Mark Jennings used to play soccer, right. And he was her first husband. That's why she wouldn't tell Anders any information about herself.

Is a new Steven - or the old one - coming as well? I was sure that Steven had been in a horrible accident that required face reconstruction when he was missing as the family began celebrating Christmas. Instead, he never got on the plane and is "missing". Kidnapped too? Lord knows filthy rich and famous people shouldn't walk around just anywhere without at least one bodyguard. He might as well carry a sign saying "kidnap me, my family is loaded and would pay anything to get me back".

I know I am in the minority here, but I am loving season 2! I don't want the characters to be the same as on the original Dynasty. I can just pop in a DVD to see the old gang. I am glad these characters are different so it's less predictable. I want there to be a point watching this series.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,141
    Willie it's that optimism which shines through. I like a good rant every now and then but you come along and put a fresh approach on it...and that's a good thing :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,103
    Medals:
    Nah, you're not. I enjoy this new version, though it's funny how some people claim nuDallas moved too fast and are now claiming nuDynasty moves too slow to build up their climax. Go figure.

Oh well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,144
    Medals:
    Where's the baby Manny with a knife off-screen fight Kirby wins boom-bang end of story.

Building a climax? Ha!
    Besides, soap/drama isn't only about building a climax.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I wholeheartedly enjoyed season one but season two I feel is good only on a surface and very forgettable level. I’ve given up on expecting greatness so it’s the moments I stay for. Dominque’s Arrival is one of those moments. Based on the last episodes of season one they set her entrance up and if written well it would raise the stakes, particularly for the Colby’s and Blake. Now would be get interesting explorations of her relationships with her kids or brother? I doubt it, but it would be nice to see her. Just like Alexis hasn’t lived up to her potential, I still enjoy seeing her even though she’s written Horribly.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +269
    The probably I have isn’t that nuDynasty is too slow, but that it is too plot driven and rarely seems like it’s going anywhere. I didn’t find that as much in season one. I felt we got good pay offs and a sense of direction. NuDallas suffered from not understanding the genre of soap at all. I guess it was fast paced, but that show had no follow up. It was simply jumping from scene to scene.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,141
    Tommie I don't find nuDynasty slow. What I take issue with is the overall tone. Too much nudge nudge, wink wink, "Are you appreciating our sense of whimsy with this reboot?" This return season was granted 22 episodes. That's quite a luxury to work with. I think the producers and writers have wasted the opportunity afforded them as they had such a strong foundation to work with after the cliffhanger episode from Season 1. This is just my gut feeling but when Season 2 began with the time jump it's my impression this was done deliberately to distance themselves from Nathalie's version of Cristal.

However, when the writers have allowed themselves to revisit that untimely death it's helped the series and characters immensely. Take the recent scene between Blake and Fallon when he let rip and informed Fallon she was the one with blood on her hands. Suddenly nuDynasty was getting a little real and Grant (Blake) and Elizabeth (Fallon) displayed some acting talent and owned those words.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,272
    That is exactly my problem with it, and why I stopped watching. They claim "well, this is a show for 2019, we won't be held to the same standards that made prime time soaps great and to fans of the original" and then they build whole scenes around inside jokes that only fans of the original would get. It's finally made the one advantage they had over Cidre (that they watched the original) a liability in my eyes with how they deal with their knowledge. All they care about is their idea of comedy (perish the thought) and not about actually developing their characters through stories.

As has been stated by others, it may have ended up being their undoing. With a 10-episode set per season, maybe they would have cut down on the throwaway episodes like "the Carringtons go to south America" and the throwaway scenes.

I have been keeping up only through the reviews here, and I must say I am afraid to go watch the Claudia and the baby scene. DYNASTY created such an iconic sequence out of it, it would make sense that nobody would try to redo that, but peach execs rush in where sane show-runners fear to tread.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,883
    Medals:
    For what it's worth, I thought the scenes on top of the hotel were gripping. I don't recall any of the wink-wink/nudge-nudge going on during that portion of the story.

Granted, I did not know the scene was mirroring the OG Dynasty scene, so for a few seconds (until someone told the family) I thought the baby really had gone over the edge. I may not have been as "involved" in the scene had I known the details of the original scene. Other than the viewer's possible knowledge of the original scene, there wasn't much foreshadowing that "the baby" would end up falling off the roof, so there was a certain level of unpredictability if you were not an OG Dynasty fan.

The website TV line had a staffer do a recap of the episode the next day, and wrote about the roof scene with the same lack of background that I had (and, to his credit, the positive reactions that I had). In the comments, someone asked the author if he was aware that the scene was an homage to the original, and the author basically shrugged and said "Huh...learn something new every day..." which subtly told the readers that the poor guy had been given the job of recapping a show about which he had no background.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,485
    Medals:
    Well realistically... They are worried about time. This is a 4 season show at most.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,144
    Medals:
    I agree, and this is actually the saddest part. I was not expecting but hoping for scenes like this to happen, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't have the effect that it should have.
    Those 3 minutes of drama don't compensate for the other 40 minutes of...well, I don't even know what it is supposed to be.
    And to be honest I wasn't 100% sure that it would turn out to be a doll again, so this could have been a very exciting scene even if you're familiar with the original version.

• Agree Agree x 1