nuDynasty Episode Chat S02E09 Crazy Lady (21st December)

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by tommie, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +471
    I was very surprised by how much they actually took from the actual Dynasty and adapted to the new version. This one was a much better episode because they actually focused on an actual plot for a change. There wasn't even as many sassy one liners as we are used to by now which is a good thing. And it looks like we are getting a new Steven later in the season. Is Jeff Colby actually going to die? I wouldn't be surprised at all because he's such an unnecessary character. His absence would have no gravity. Monica is much more interesting although terribly undeveloped. We know nothing important about her. She was (and sometimes still is, the writers can't decide) Fallon's best friend and sidekick and she also used to be Culhane's lover for a few episodes. But other than that ... nothing! By the way ... this Blake is truly an idiotic character, there's not much to him, not even a business aspect of the show like in the original show. He's not intimidating, he's just there. His character is basically a caricature of a powerful man we knew back in the 80's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,055
    Having just watched the latest installment while assisting with the wrapping of Christmas presents this episode had snippets of what this version of Dynasty could have been. Like the scene where Blake informs Fallon she has blood on her hands over original Cristal's death. This is the Blake I wanted to see; the mouse that roars. The other scene I really enjoyed was at the very end and again it was between Blake and Fallon. The dialogue and the way it was delivered felt genuine.

With that said now come the complaints. Can we get rid of that stupid juvenile music the producers think adds to the drama. It has the opposite effect and distracts rather than enhances. I'm still not liking the comedy undertone attached to most scenes and oddly enough it all appears to revolve around Alexis. When is she going to become this manipulative, evil bitch?

And do the world a favour and kill off Jeff Colby....and for good measure, Michael.

I now have this weird fixation on what the writers have installed for Steven. I have my fingers crossed they don't recast or some stupid plastic surgery thing otherwise that will do it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,725
    Medals:
    Last night I decided to watch the last 3 episodes.

So...all of a sudden Michael decides to trust Ada (!!!) and continue to work for her.
    Ada is battling the Van Kirks (but...he's kinda dead now?) and yet she's in cahoots with Van Kirk Transport? Oh but this gives her the opportunity to frame VKT (drugs smuggling) eventhough it will probably ruin her entire operation. Criminals usually don't approve of double-crossers.

Celia's ghost...seriously? Seriously?

Sammy Jo & Kirby are a super-annoying couple, the whole baby plot was stupid and rushed but it kind of worked on a parody level (i.e. laughing at the Carringtons).
    A few months ago I thouhgt I had "seen the light!" but it's very hard to get the tone of this show.

So they reenacted "Baby On The Rooftop". Yeah nice, but am I supposed to give a standing ovation now? Does this make everything all right? I have to ask myself, am I really such a Desperate Dynasty Fan?

Honestly, how do these scripts get approved for filming? These 3 episodes were pure tripe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,055
    Willie it appears this is the general consensus regarding this reboot. Dynasty 2.0 from the opening episode set the tone and 1½ seasons in and we're still clueless as to what it all means. I'm still confused about Carrington Atlantic. They keep bringing the subject up but nothing comes of it. I'm thinking the writing staff don't know anything about complicated business dealings so have concentrated their efforts on family dramas. Everything seems to centre around the home and very little else apart from Michael and his underworld adventures...YAWN!

I'll admit this is one of the most bizarre series I've watched. It's desperately searching for an identity.

5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,725
    Medals:
    I feel like *I* am the one who's searching for its identity. It makes me feel like I have to go out my way to make sense of it, justify it or - like a starved soap fan - find something to cheer for.
    Considering the insane amount of competition out there, it looks like they're not making much effort to give this show its rightful place in TV entertainment.
    I don't think I'm very demanding, I'm not asking for specific this or thats. I just need to feel it.
    Soap and comedy is a dangerous combination, Desperate Housewives (sort of) pulled it off because it had lots of intriguing storylines and defined characters.
    On NuDynasty it all seems very random and it just plods along with half-a-laugh and half-an-intrigue.

I hate to be so negative but at some point I simply can't lower the bar anymore.

The baby/Jesus doll switching was kinda funny, "hey look, there's a note!" - Alexis and Sammy Jo have a Karen Walker & Jack McFarland chemistry and eventhough it's not what I had in mind for Dynasty, it seems to work on screen.
    But then you have this absurd "So You Think You Can Be LB's Nanny?" sequence and it just doesn't look like something that could actually happen.
    But NuDynasty sure loves its pop culture references. How about creating some memorable NuDynasty references?

6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,075
    Medals:
    Just as a side-note: my sister's husband has taken her last name. Like over ten years ago - so it's not a new thing Fallon.

7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,075
    Medals:
    Also, damn, Alexis is going to manipulate the hell out of Claudia!

The showrunners admitted they love her and now Alexis is in her head?

8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,725
    Medals:
    Alexis: Is he (Hank) here with you right now?
    Claudia looks around….

Brilliant scene!

9. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,075
    Medals:
    Actually, it was.

Alexis ended up confusing the hell out of her. What's real? What's not? Did Hank exist? Or not? I think Claudia is very confused right now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,029
    Medals:
    In the 1991 Reunion, Adam offered to take Kirby's name when he proposed to her. But Kirby didn't like the sound of "Adam Anders" and simply hyphenated her name to "Anders-Carrington."

11. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Medals:
    I don't even remember they got engaged. Any why didn't she chose Miles???

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,055
    On closer inspection I don't think Alexis has chemistry with any of the characters, not even a spark of contempt, I'm just not feeling it. I thought the producers were going to further explore the relationship between Fallon and Alexis but not a lot has come of it. Last season and snippets in this season it was Anders and Sam stealing scenes.

13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,029
    Medals:
    Cuz Miles was back with Fallon... before they broke up... again... when she got back with Jeff... again...

14. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +265
    The show has been so uneventful this season I waited to watch the finale and boy did they step it up. Finally good emotional moments, character growth and some pay off with the stories! Hopefully this is a sign of what’s to come and they keep the momentum going in the second half.

I also found it a strong set of cliffhangers. I loved the callbacks to the original, especially with the baby. The Steven twist is expected but I need to see where that is going before I make a judgement. I never had a problem with him so going through all this trouble to keep him off screen confuses me.

The more exciting cliffhanger of course was Jeff and Michael’s accident. I know Jeff isn’t super popular, but I’ve always enjoyed him and his fashions so I hope he makes it. I’d also want both Jeff and Monica around for Dominque’s eventual arrival.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,725
    Medals:
    I can't say I like him, or dislike him. They hardly used him and now all of sudden we're supposed to care what happens to him. It all feels a little too late imho.
    If there was any character growth (growing from what?) then I must have blinked.
    Unless you mean nice Manny becomes seductive Manny becomes psycho Manny within a 30 minutes time span.
    They didn't even allow me to guess who kidnapped LB.

The mansion sets are beautiful as always, Monica's outfits are fabulous (hint, hint: Alexis) and Mimi Rose Prescott is the most interesting CWD character I've seen so far.
    Although the very idea that the Peachtree Society would welcome someone like Hippielexis is laughable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Medals:
    But i meant they could have come together AFTER Fallon broke up with Miles...again :D

17. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,029
    Medals:
    By then, Kirby decided she wanted Adam back. It was too late for anything to happen between her and Miles. Hm, come to think of it, there was room for Sammy Jo to make a move on Miles towards the end, since by then she was back to being single.

18. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,055
    I don't get the fascination with the imminent arrival of Dominique from Soapchat Posters. The same can be said for the constant chatter about Adam. Why the urgency? I can remember the build up to "Enter Alexis" however in retrospect her addition has fallen flat. Are we suggesting Dominique's arrival will somehow raise the stakes in quality storytelling and characters I can root for? I'd suggest the house of Carrington (think writers/producers) needs to get their house in order before another scream queen sashays the halls of the Carrington mansion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Medals:
    Me neither, but some of those "Dominique-demanders" started already as early as Episode 7 of season 1, when she wasn't on the original before the end of season 4! :re:
    To be honest, if CWD continues to be like it is at the moment, i'd rather have them bring ANY original Dynasty character back for quite some time, as they would waste them anyway, so what for?!
    Just let them bring on some more of their own Hanks or Mannys or whatever.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  20. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,077
    Medals:
    The problem for me is that I just don't really care about these characters or what happens to them. I think with soaps you not only become invested in a character but you become invested in their journey. But these characters aren't really on a journey, they're just in a series of situations. One forgettable situation after another, week after week. I'm running out of reasons to stay tuned.

• Agree Agree x 2