nuDynasty Episode Chat S02E09 Crazy Lady (21st December)

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty Episode Threads' started by tommie, Dec 18, 2018.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    Medals:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,272
    Medals:
    just cheap.

3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,261
    Watching this brief trailer offers nothing of value and only reinforces my low opinion of Dynasty 2.0. Why are they continuing with the comedy routine? The only thing I'm looking forward to is what the writers have install for Steven.

4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Medals:
    Hey, I thought it was funny. X)

5. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +273
    The type of promos they run are what you run for a sitcom or procedural show without a continuing element. The way soaps get viewers invested is the continuing story. They’ve completely lost that this season. I still think it’s fun to watch but it doesn’t stay with you and nothing seems to be going anywhere.

6. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +307
    According to IMDb James MacKay appears in 40 out of 44 episodes of Dynasty’s first two seasons.

Is it just wrong or was Mackay’s ‘firing’ a stunt to create publicity?

7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,261
    If this was the case where is the publicity? The departure of James didn't make the evening NEWS here in Australia. I don't think it even made the gossip segments we sometimes see on those morning shows but I'm at work so may have missed it.

This reboot doesn't have me hankering for more after an episode has finished. At least in the day with Dallas and those first few seasons of Dynasty we couldn't wait for the following week to roll around. If this version of Dynasty is cancelled right now I don't see any Australian networks announcing it in the nightly NEWS.

8. ChrisSumner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +273
    I did feel season one did a good job of building the stories and giving you pay off. Particularly with Claudia and Alexis. It’s just this season they seem to be going to this more self contained sitcom feel. All my friends I got hooked on season one are similarly disappointed. Unfortunately this is one of the only shows where the writers never do interviews with previews or insight into their vision so we don’t even know if they’re happy or plan on retooling after it returns midseason.

9. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,014
    Medals:
    Description from my cable guide:
    "The Carringtons track down a dangerous enemy on Christmas Eve; Fallon and Blake clash on how to handle the situation; Cristal suspects Alexis may not be telling the whole truth; Kirby is cast out by Anders for having an immature reaction."

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,261
    This one made me giggle. Anders is only now kicking Kirby to the curb? Should have happened the moment she opened her mouth.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,261
    It's what I've noticed this season. For what is suppose to be a serial each episode is given a theme. There are some elements of a continuing story but each scene looks like slapstick comedy so in the end we forget to ask, "Where is the story-arc?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,405
    I don't think it's wrong. I believe he was dropped from a contract to a recurring player.

13. ChrisSumner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Technically we don’t know if he’s “fired fired.” The characters keep saying he’s back for Christmas and the writers said Steven comes back so it’s possible we’ll see him for more episodes. Hard to predict with episode promos that are five seconds long and usually focus on showcasing a quip.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Maybe he´ll be back in that episode, and then something will blow up and his face will burn, and he will be seen only in bandages a la Pam. Then he´ll decide he has to go back to Guatemala or Paraguay or whatever, and will make phone calls with his face hidden to the camera. But it will still be the actor´s voice...Maybe, or maybe not...

[​IMG]

"They cancelled "The Muppets" and not this...?"​

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,014
    Medals:
    Wow...seems Dynasty remembers it is supposed to be a soap opera, after all. This episode had a LOT going on, and people who seemed to be at loose ends finally demonstrated their purpose. There were even two..count 'em, two engaging cliffhangers that left me thinking we're finally getting reasons to look forward to the next episode. It's some of the best stuff I've seen from them in some time.

The saga of Baby Blake/Matthew had enough twists and turns to keep me guessing, though I'm proud to say I guessed one aspect of the story during the discussion of the previous episode. Even better, this whole caper allowed some plot points to be ironed out, such as assigning blame for what happened to Celia, and putting together some of the linkages between Claudia and Hank. Cristal is still trying to piece together Alexis's role in the mess, but thankfully their banter (like the bit in the promo) was minimal. They had actual PLOT to focus on, so the snappy bon mots did not dominate the hour*.

B Plot was once again Michael and his Secret Life. But even as it seemed he'd turned over a new leaf in the previous episode, things turned once again tonight. Jeff's involvement seemed superfluous at first, but after the final scene, I can see why they slowly worked him into the story. Michael's latest "shipment" also can (might) lead to some movement on the Van Kirks' involvement in the Carringtons' lives.

In addition to plot plot plot, there were some nice character interactions, most notably a fiery confrontation between Fallon and Blake, followed by a reconciliation scene later on when the dust settled. They actually talked about things that mattered for once. They also gave us some good stuff between Anders and Kirby.

They even managed to do a product placement of sorts by having a scene on the rooftop of the Hotel Clermont, a real Atlanta landmark. The show had gotten so "mansion-bound" that having them out and about was a nice change of pace. James MacKay was not listed in the "guest stars" so I was kind of spoiled that we would not see him back, even as they kept saying that Steven was coming home "that evening" to be with the family. I found it hard to believe all this stuff happened in one day.

* The lines of the hour, however, came from
    Cristal 2.0 to Alexis: "Send a card signed Ho Ho Ho. I'll know it's you."
    and
    Fallon to Michael: "Can you believe that in two weeks we'll be Mr. and Mrs. Fallon Carrington?"

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,979
    Medals:
    Okay, so they're going to instantly sacrifice the cutest potential male-male couple in TV, Manuel and Sam Joe, on the altar of some dumb, nonsensical baby-napping??

17. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,014
    Medals:
    Nannies are always nuts on soaps. It's some kind of law, I think, and the law does not exclude 'mannies'. Because that would be sexist, right...?:confuse:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,261
    Makes me question why the producers release 10 second nonsense instead of a proper trailer which intrigues viewers to potentially give the series a look at. Someone at The CW is not very good at publicity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Luuro

Luuro Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Manny better have a twin or something. They were such a good looking couple and the whole kidnapping thing wasn't even good enough for us to be losing Manny

20. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,979
    Medals:
    Good-looking but also cuddly. But looks like Manny's already gone,