nuDynasty Episode Chat S02E08 A Real Instinct for the Jugular

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty Episode Threads' started by tommie, Dec 7, 2018.

?

How do you rate this episode?

Poll closed Dec 19, 2018.
  1. 10 stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9 stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8 stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 7 stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6 stars

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. 5 stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4 stars

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. 3 stars

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  9. 2 stars

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  10. 1 star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,099
    Medals:
    stunnin' new episode on tonite x

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Luuro

Luuro Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Manny the Manny is mesmerizingly good looking. I don't recall the actor ever being this hot but good hair and a bit of a beard did him wonders and Blake didn't look so bad himself.

I'm honestly rooting for Sammy and Manuel. If another Carrington has to lose their life to keep Manuel on my screen, I'm all for it.

3. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,237
    Medals:
    So another 2 weeks wait for the next one and then half season break.
    According to IMDB Steven will indeed be back for the x-mas episode on 21st. I bet he and Sam will get in a huge fight and break up, so that Sam is free for that Manny-nanny-guy.
    After all, as we all know Mackay is out for good, and i guess that will be his final appearence.

This was a really shitty episode, i hated all that wedding dress and wedding date crap. The Mrs. Stone/Michael-stuff was boring as usual. And although i'm German, i really DESPISE soccer. If i had to rate this, i'd give it a 2 out of 10. Yes, THAT bad! It's right "up" there with that Paragay desaster and the horrendous Oz-cringefest.
    So... at the moment i'm not really looking forward to the next peachDynasty-installment. Once again. :re:

A shame that we never thought about including a vote to each of these episode threads, so we could all give it stars fom 1 to 10. Missed opportunity, could've been interesting.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,099
    Medals:
    Phew! I guess the Dynasty producers don't have to shell out money for another set.

ZNORE at Michael. He IS G.I. Dex.

Little Blake is kidnapped! By... Claudia! Will they end up on a rooftop?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,137
    Exhausted after a long day at work and just wishing for a little peace and quiet I decided to binge watch the episodes after the Paraguay hiccup. To be honest I haven't missed much. This updated version of Dynasty is just one hot mess. What is Dynasty trying to be? Funny? Someone else remarked it's a parody of the original. If that's the case then the writers/producers have missed the mark.

I'm desperately trying to like it but it's just...nothing! Fallon has returned to her ugly self importance. Alexis is just there for comedy relief. The new Cristal hasn't achieved anything of substance and has zero chemistry with Blake. Speaking of Blake. What does he do in this version again? Where is the business aspect in this reboot? When I closely study Dynasty I've noticed very little business is actually discussed. The Carrington family and all their subjects parade the halls of the Carrington mansion and very little else. Where is Atlanta?

Something else I'm noticing. Each episode appears to revolve around a subject matter with little continuation in the story. This last episode centered on Fallon and the insipid theme wedding scenes. Who needs to smoke weed when I can re-watch the Wizard of Oz catastrophe.

Come on guys, help me out here.

What is Dynasty 2.0 actually about?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,874
    Medals:
    It's about...45 minutes. [/rim shot] I agree--they're not very focused on an overall theme.

Who's to say Manny ("He's so good with kids...") didn't actually snatch the baby on his way out? Sam basically fired him, and soap viewers all know that nannies tend to have a few screws loose. It's set up to look like Kooky Klaudia struck again, so a surprise twist might be in order.

I wanted to post something immediately after the episode, but the site went down promptly at 8pm last night, so I'm operating from memory here.

First and foremost, I had totally missed the casting spoiler of Joanna Going playing Mimi Rose. I've been a fan of hers for thirty years, ever since she played Lisa Grady on Another World. It was so cool to see her pop up that way. I'm amazed at how she simply does not age. Too bad they cast her in a guest role rather than something more substantial. Loved the "Let me pray on that. [beat] No!" with her excellent Southern accent.

There was a really sharp scene between Cristal (whom Fallon is openly referring to as "NuCristal," which just slays me) and Alexis where Cristal boils it all down, pointing out that Alexis has no friends left in Atlanta society, her family can't stand her, and she's essentially a pest lingering around the house with no purpose (I can't recall the exact phrasing). I remember thinking Cristal outlined Alexis's situation to a level that took things beyond the comic relief situation that she's in. In other words, she was "too" real, and actually broke the fourth wall a bit by explaining the situation the way viewers might view it, and not the characters in their version of reality.

As if the "NuCristal" references weren't enough, the three (at least) references to Cristal's Gorgeous Hair also seemed to be the producers shouting out to us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,271
    That was this peach cobbler/flan mixture's problem to begin with, that it believes fans are bi-polar and can laugh at their insipid jokes one minute and then be emotionally moved the next. Maybe that is the attention span of the modern teen, and their emotions really do last as long as a reddit clip, so they are writing for their target audience.

8. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,237
    Medals:
    Barely hanging in there...

apthy.gif

Wake me up if Liam comes back.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. AZLiam

AZLiam Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Education
    Ratings:
    +147
    I'm barely hanging in there too. I'm really rooting for the show to improve and succeed and I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but these glaring things keep recurring to me:

Having rewatched some episodes of Desperate Housewives recently, I feel that the show was able to balance comedy and drama. If that's what NuDynasty writers and producers were shooting for, I think they missed their mark. Much of the time, NuDynasty feels more like Soapdish with a splash of reality TV editing. What I mean is that the I feel like the editing for this show just sucks (especially the music). Scenes feel cut short and conversations between characters seems rushed as if one character (often Fallon) is spitting out her lines before the other character has even finished.

I have to agree with Matthew and Rove. I'm not sure what the end goal is for this season (hopefully not cancellation), but I'm trying to figure out what the main storyline arc is supposed to be. And, Blake (and business) is suddenly feeling like a secondary character on the show - how is that? :confused: Also, while I do like Ana Brenda, I feel like this whole engagement feels WAY rushed.

Alexis - still doesn't feel like a force to be reckoned with. It bears repeating, but I want her to have more wit, class, and be more intimidating. I'm not sure if that will be possible. Ada actually reminds me more of how (I believe) Alexis should be than Alexis does, even if she looks more like Dorinda Medley.

OK - rant over. :ms::D

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,137
    Perhaps MTV is to blame after all because when I began watching Lorimar Dallas all those years ago I had just become a teenager. I don't think the writers/producers had me in mind when creating Dallas or perhaps I was more astute to good television.

I think Dynasty 2.0 is guilty of an identity crisis. It's trying to be all things to everybody and ends up a convoluted mess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,137
    That background music is lazy and offers nothing to the series or scenes. It would be best not to use it at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +475
    I was so desperate to like this show, season 1 was so much better - the Thanksgiving episode with psycho Claudia, Alexis coming back, the wonderful season finale! I agree with the other posters in this thread who are searching for the purpose and goal of this show. The entire episode was devoted to silly "Say Yes to the Dress" parody and Alexis getting humiliated and downright bullied by Cristal 2.0 and Fallon. What the hell? She's a mess of a character. This Alexis has no presence, she's just strolling down the hallways of the mansion in her tacky and ridiculous outfits. This show misses atmosphere, there is no sense of danger anymore, nothing's at the stake. It's obvious that things will not improve at this point. I'm sick and tired of Fallon and her love life and her dominant attitude. Her lines, her attitude, everything about her feels overdone and unnatural.

They have no idea how to create a dramatic situation without the redundant insert of stupid jokes and one-liners. This "Dynasty" feels like a series of gags or parody scenes glued together. Even rich people can feel REAL. The first season of Dirty Sexy Money is a great example. They were rich, crazy, imperfect and complex characters who still had their own insecurities and troubles. Look at Succession on HBO, they know how to balance comedy and drama and manage to make crazy situations realistic and not over the top.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,099
    Medals:
    Maybe the point is to tear down Alexis before she can have her inevitable rise? :popcorn:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I think the producers are setting up the arrival of Mark Jennings with all the football stuff and Cristal clinging to the named sweatshirt.

But instead of a tennis player he’ll be a South American hunky footballer who disrupts Cristal and Blake’s engagement.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. AZLiam

AZLiam Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Education
    Ratings:
    +147
    ITA. I think there are way too many episodes either devoted to a theme (parties, club opening, weddings, holiday, Paraguay) or parody (OZ dream, Say Yes) that it misses the mark on just regular continuous storytelling and focus on character motivations. The other stuff just feels like filler fluff. I do like the Easter eggs to the original, but I'm struggling to see how NuDynasty is creating it's own personality and identity without having to borrow from elsewhere. I think it's also lacking an innovative spirit that was very present in the original. I think you hit the mark with the show not being able to create dramatic situations without inserting stupid jokes and one-liners - it drives me mad since often they aren't funny in the slightest, but rather irritating. Characters feel like they are talking at each other instead of to each other. :eek:

I just feel like it's very difficult to really get to know the characters because it appears that dramatic scenes are often glossed over for camp which makes the characters appear more like caricatures, and when you add in the rushed and edited scenes with that ridiculous music, it seems impossible to take characters seriously. Even Alan Dale's character Joseph feels like camp. Every once in a while, I have a momentary lapse and expect to see quality like his OC character Caleb, but I digress. So far, the only real glimpse of true drama that I've seen on this show came from last season's finale. I was hoping that was a turning point for the show. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,874
    Medals:
    I don't even see them trying to add "splashes of the original" into the scripts. I do hope they bring in a "Mark Jennings" character if not just to get back to that effort on the writers' part*. I think we are accustomed to nighttime soaps having so much emphasis on the seasonal plot arcs, where every scene/interaction is geared toward dropping clues in a mystery or helps the characters get to key points in a progressing storyline. When we watch some (seemingly) important event in an episode, part of our brain starts extrapolating, trying to predict how that event will impact some longer-term effect on the storylines...only for us to discover later on that it isn't really as big a deal as we thought. That "what could have been" feeling can be frustrating, since we see missed opportunities.

* I hope Mark Jennings and Cristal have just recently broken up, that she is just as much on the rebound as Blake is. This would help in settling this nagging sense that Cristal is just too quick to marry Blake and take on that whole nutty family of his. They portray her as more "authentic" (less in the "ulterior motives" department) than everyone else, but this haste/willingness to marry a man she's known for so little time flies in the face of this authenticity.

17. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,237
    Medals:
    I'm sure Alexis will find Mark Jennings this time as well.
    But i'm also quite sure he'll be the same lame type of character that Sams father was in S1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,137
    But will it be like the saying? "To little, to late." How can we be expected to take this version of Alexis seriously if the writers won't. There would have to be some catastrophic event, like killing of Fallon or Steven, to turn this version of Alexis from dim-witted white trailer trash to manipulative psycho bitch, hell bent on destroying all those around her.

19. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,271
    I am setting up a #peachDynasty and #JuanPablodiPace google news alert now!

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,137
    This is exactly my thoughts on watching Dynasty 2.0. What is the ultimate goal here? Where is the story? I'm feeling kind of lost with this reboot. How on Earth do the producers think this is what makes great television? I feel for the likes of Grant Show, Nicollette Sheridan and Alan Dale. Are they so desperate for the paycheck they're happy to stick around with this nonsense? It won't be a good look on the resumé. I think Nathalie and James can breathe a sigh of relief they managed to escape.

I desperately wished for the likes of the Dallas continuation and the Dynasty reboot to succeed only to show the TV types there is a market for this genre. Unfortunately I think with the way the Dallas continuation and ultimately the Dynasty reboot were handled by incompetence we're unlikely to see these two giants of the 80's return anytime soon. And yes I'm predicting the Dynasty reboot will be cancelled anytime...just my gut feeling.

• Agree Agree x 1