nuDynasty Episode Chat S01E16 - Poor Little Rich Girl

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by tommie, Mar 20, 2018.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,158

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    YEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!! Alexis is here!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,189
    Great episode. I had no idea Tom lived in Savannah--nice touch. Of course it would have been nicer if they'd actually done a remote there. :)

Speaking of touching, Steven and Sam getting biz-ee at the Church was kind of....random, but hey--why not? It's not often you get a marriage proposal during a eulogy.

Is it my imagination, or was Alexis not using an English accent after all? And Fallon's immortal line, "That's my mother!" was once again the perfect exclamation point for that scene.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,464
    I thought Netflix was only a day behind the US episode airings, now it's 9 days? This is unacceptable, maybe we should send angry emails to Netflix.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I really liked how they were building up to Alexis arriving in the church. Pretty awesome, especially with the crucifix tilting slightly.

I also totally was not expecting Steven to propose marriage to Sammy Jo in Spanish. He really does love him!

Were they seriously implying that Steven had a brief fling with Melissa Daniels in his youth?

Poor Cristal. She really wants to prove to Blake that she loves him but honestly I'm just rooting for her to get away from Blake for good. Let Alexis have him.

Oh my God... as if Jeff couldn't get any more despicable. Blaming Fallon for something that was out of control - her grandfather's death - was a really, really low blow. I'm glad Fallon gave him a real ass whupping. Part of me wishes she actually did put him in the hospital. But I don't know what the hell Blake was thinking offering a partnership with Morell Corp and Carrington Atlantic when Fallon's bleeding out clients all because of the videotaped assault of Jeff & the fake marriage. I don't think Fallon's exactly in a good position to do business right now.

Liam's acting really weird. Initially I thought that whatever Michael said to him really got to him and he decided that Fallon wasn't worth it and to run in the other direction but now with that lady recognizing him by another name... I think he may be hiding something. I have a working theory that Liam is a con artist and he may be after Fallon's money. Let's see if I'm right.

Also I loved Fallon & Steven's rehearsal and Fallon singing. That was an unexpected treat.

I also did not expect Anders to slap Blake from out of nowhere. That was insane.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,464
    It probably wasn't coincidental that he and Fallon met. But is he based on an original Dynasty character? Adam, Mark or Peter De Vilbis?
    Does his name mean something?

LIAM RIDLEY
    I AM...(something)
    LIAR...(something)
    :think:

7. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Another good episode this week. This is how the show should have started! Fallon and Jeff should be over by now. No more. Liam is who's son? The woman at the church said he looked like someone's son. Next week looks good again. It's too bad for these ratings though.

8. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +449
    I thought this episode was one of the best so far, it's actually got me excited to watch the next episode. I'm still not fond of the Colbys in this reboot but I don't find them intolerable either. Anders and Sammy Jo make a great pair together, I'm starting to like Fallon more now that she's not just talking potential business with Jeff (though she is with Blake), Cristal is growing on me and Steven's less broody attitude makes me like him more. I'd say the original show has more addictive qualities but this new show is improving. I'm excited to see what Alexis brings to the mix.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. RottenSkipper17

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +113
    @MarkSinacori Liam is supposedly the son of some couple named Laura & John named Jack. Not sure why she specifically mentioned them but it must be really important but not sure how exactly it is important. I feel like it might come back later.

10. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +952
    Netflix Ireland didn't get any episodes until January when they premiered all 13 of them at once. We haven't had any new episodes added since so I'm presuming we'll be getting "Season One - Part Two" later in the year. I'll be venturing elsewhere in the meantime though to get a look at the arrival of Alexis.

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,464
    Oops, just checked, it's available now. It seems that the comments by Tommie and Daniel were posted yesterday, it's that when they watched the episode?
    In that case nothing has changed except for the day (previous new episodes were available on Thursday).

12. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,189
    Yeah, I posted about ten minutes after the episode aired "live". I thought it best to post my first thoughts before I forgot them. ;) But luckily you are all jogging my memory about the other events.
    Not implying--they explicitly stated it. Steven spoke of their brief relationship "back when he was questioning things" (I'm thinking high school) and when Steven was later telling Fallon about how he got Sam's papers, she mentioned knowing of Steven's thing with Melissa back in the day (and mentioned it as if she was the only woman Steven had ever slept with). I thought it was a clever way to work Kelly Rutherford back in, and who knows? Maybe Steven conceived a baby with her back then without his knowing--or just did. THEN she'd really be anchored to the show. I don't think they would toss in Steven sleeping with a woman unless they wanted to do something like that.
    Because the clients who might be on the fence about jumping ship might stay if they know that Blake (a more steady hand) is asserting some authority at MorrellCorp...an adult in the room, so to speak.

Speaking of Blake, I think we need to find a way to keep him drunk more. He seemed almost human during his drunken conversation with the kids and Cristal. Maybe Anders could slip something in Blake's food every day. In between slapping the taste out of his mouth, of course. The cast really nailed that shocked look, almost as if they really did not know it would happen.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RottenSkipper17

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +113
    @Daniel Avery I don't know... I think they only brought Melissa in this episode because they needed a way to have Sammy Jo stay in America and avoid getting deported by ICE. Besides, I think Melissa is way too old to have a baby at this point, (what is she? In her 40s, maybe?). The more likely scenario is that when and if Claudia does come back, she might decide to give her baby up to Cristal & Blake and maybe Sammy Jo & Steven could take the baby in.

Speaking of Fallon & Blake, it probably wasn't a smart idea for Fallon to deck Jeff, (but who could blame her considering the way Jeff was blaming her for her grandfather's death), especially with CCTV in the elevator, but it wasn't entirely her fault. Jeff was trying to destroy her career and her good name. And Fallon decided to turn down Blake's offer for the time being. However, I feel like Fallon's legal troubles aren't over yet and she may need some outside help eventually.

Honestly, considering the man Blake turned out to be, no wonder Fallon is pretty much incapable of being in a healthy, normal relationship. She and Steven are screwed no matter what. Maybe Fallon should adopt a baby and avoid having relationships with anyone because she's never going to find real happiness because she's always going to find a way to mess it all up.

14. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,189
    One thing I'm still a bit fuzzy on is Monica and Cesil's situation. Monica became the only adult in the room, telling Jeff he ought to just admit defeat and go on with his life. Then, she said something that led me to believe she was going to leave town with Cesil, and that the two of them were going to try to rebuild their lives together...then she brought the cops to the house (ostensibly to arrest Cesil for his role in Tom's death). So which is it? Either way, I assume she's leaving. I missed something.

One of the ongoing issues I've had with watching the show "live" is that the volume during commercial breaks is so much higher than the volume during the show. I have to turn the volume down when commercials come on, and sometimes forget to turn it back up when the show resumes...leading me to miss some dialogue.

15. RottenSkipper17

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +113
    LOL! Funny, I thought the cops showed up to arrest Jeff but I guess they were going to take Cecil to a mental institution or something? And it was probably all arranged by Monica? Because Monica basically told him that she's had enough of his crap and that she's taking Cecil to go live with her. Yeah... that was definitely a bit confusing but the gist I got was that Monica pretty much decided to disown Jeff and just walk away from him just so she could live a happy life with her father. It really sucks too because I was JUST starting to like Monica.

Also are you recording the episodes? Because if you can, you can always go back and rewind to the parts that you missed. That's what I do when I feel I've missed something because I'm always recording just in case I'm not there to watch it live or I'm busy doing something else.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,189
    Thanks for the extra speculation about the Colbys' scene. The actual explanation might not matter, since it might be the last we see of 2/3 of them!

Frankly I watch so little TV, a DVR would be an unnecessary expense at this point. I had a VCR back when they were popular, but now? Heck, I can count on one hand the shows I make a point to see...so it's pretty easy to find time to watch them live. :re:

17. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +128
    That was gooooood! I personally find this show excellent and like any primetime soap, it’s just getting better as it finds its footing. One thing, Liam I am even more convinced is Adam. He seems so sweet but the funeral scene reveals he’s not who he says he is. I think he found out he’s Adam and is playing an elaborate con.

The Colbys and Carrington families are a lot more interesting now that their backstory has been fleshed out. Actually having Tom appear was so helpful to making us understand why Blake is how he is. I’m also finally starting to like Cristal as she fights to prove her love to Blake. Monica is growing on me now that they’ve fleshed her out. I like the Colbys being positioned as villains or rivals and I like that she’s complicated but still trying to be a good person. Jeff is just so sexy and the perfect villain. I can’t wait to see what comes next for him.

Of course the biggest thing was the arrival of Alexis and I thought they pulled it off well. I like that she’s coming back for a different reason which makes the story less predictable. I do hope though that they reveal she didn’t willingly leave, like the original did. It’ll be hard to buy her caring for her kids if she truly just left on her own.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. xab

xab Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +73
    This IS what I miss: the lightening, the atmosphere... The night. The music. Something in the air the NuDynasty is still unable to catch by now...
    Dynasty 2017 is just another show. Dynasty was something else...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,472
    This was my favourite episode of the season so far. It finally feels like there is a story going and that these people have a past. I loved the inclusion of a bit of backstory about Tom and I loved that portrait of him in Savannah! Blake needs to take that back to Atlanta and hang it in his study above the fireplace and speak to it over brandy when his family have him at his wits end. These show's always need a portrait and they need one for the patriarch to vent to. Do it now!
    Kelly Rutherford is amazing and needs to be brought in as a rotated cast member. She just looks like DYNASTY. I loved that scene with her and Steven at her house, the set looked perfect like how Dynasty should look. I just loved the opening of the shot with the camera panning down into her elaborately gilded china coffee cup as she stirred it with a silver spoon. That whole scene was a delicious feast for the eyes. All that pretty to look at! So DYNASTY!
    The show is really starting to find it's groove I think, it feels more like DYNASTY. I also had a little head-rush at that brief glimpse of nuAlexis' bejewelled cuff bangle as she made the video with Tom. She's going to be amazing! I don't think Nicollette will do a full blown British accent although I think she may amp it up here and there, to emphasise certain words or lines.

I think they need to keep adding to the back story and making that a full rich history. I also think that Liam may actually be Adam, or this show's version of him. I guess we will only know if that's for sure if he and Fallon develop a physical relationship. How interesting if this Liam/Adam turned out to be a brilliant conman grifter type. Fallon I think works best when she isn't the centre of the plot. It's all a bit teen girl bla bla when it's all her so I think the inclusion of Nicollette as Alexis and Kelly Rutherford will make it much more watchable for me. It'll be interesting to see the relationship between Fallon/Cristal and Alexis now. What will that dynamic be?

Also I really liked Cristal's reason for contacting the divorce lawyer. Especially as I expected her to just leave after the horrible things Blake said. There was something kind of old school soap about her deciding to change the details of the prenup so that she walks away with nothing. It kind of gives me that old school soap super couple vibe, which is nice. Cristal in a hat and veil.... Yes please.

The house they used for Tom's Savannah home reminded me of The Swan House in Atlanta which I had suggested for the Carrington mansion before they found a better house than that Tyler Perry monstrosity.

A much stronger episode and I was hooked all the way through. I'd give this a 9!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,464
    This episode was a perfect mix of thrills and melodrama, and for the first time it felt like an ensemble thing, in other words: real soap.
    Liam is sex-on-legs, I don't care who he is but he has to stay. And if he doesn't then we should consider one of those hashtag campaigns.

I even got a bit of "Gran Hotel" when Steven proposed in Spanish:kiss:. Who would have thought that gay sex and Alexis' arrival would happen at the same time - in the same church!

A toast to your new uncle!
    Huh?
    Uncle Sam!:D

• Like Like x 2