nuDynasty Episode Chat S01E01: I Hardly Recognized You

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by Snarky's Ghost, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,632
    It's just exactly what we all assumed it would be.

It's slick in a 21st century way, there's all this vocal fry among the ladies, the show actually looks pretty good (the early spring Atlanta terrain around the house is very nice) and they touch on many of the plot points from the 1981 pilot from the old show.

No theme music, but there is a flashback of child Fallon rapping while her little brother Stephen plays the oldDYNASTY theme on the piano. And in the closing credits, the "Richard & Esther Shapiro Production" is in the old Aurora font, which I thought a sweet nostalgic touch.

And Matthew Blaisdel is actually killed in the pilot, his murder to be a whodunit (which I actually think is a pretty good idea). So now it's crazy Claudia, not Walter, who crashes the wedding!

But the problem, as we anticipated, is that there is no one with whom to be sympathetic. The casting and the expected oh-we-all-so-bad tone of the show gives us no one to ground the series. In oldDYNASTY, Krystle, Steven and Claudia were tormented, and you believed them, while Fallon was a sassbox wonder. So there were several characters that clicked with the viewer immediately.

Of course, there are none -- not one -- in 2017.

And, yes, the casting of Cristal is the worst offense. She's just not somebody you're ever going to like, nor are we really expected to.

I'll probably watch the second episode, though. But this remake is going to be more snarky, as it were, than anything else. And given how rudderless the old show became to quickly, we can't really expect nuDYNASTY to be anything more.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +123
    It probably won't last more than a season. No opening credits. SLAP IN THE FACE AGAIN! Even the music director told me they wouldn't do the project if there was gonna be no intro credits with an updated theme over a minute long! LIARS!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +286
    It's getting mostly positive reviews on the #Dynasty twitter hashtag, and on the New Dynasty facebook page, so the CWwilllook at that asa plus.

lack of a theme won't hurt it, as the new audience of tweens, and early twentysomethings won't care, just the fans of the original, and those fans aren't that ativeon social media.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,632
    Defensive much? It's not like I really trashed it or anything.

It's okay. For the current market. But unlikely to take off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,632
    These days, shows don't really need a high rating to last a while, or at least get a renewal. The standard is so different now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,932
    Well, at least it's not worse!:spinning:

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,328
    Perhaps they will introduce a theme/title sequence in the second episode? A pilot episode has so much ground to cover that perhaps they didn't have "room" for it.

It was nicely done overall. I was debating right up to the last minute whether to watch, but I'm glad I did. The issue of having no one to root for was certainly on my mind by the end of the episode, and the whole "Cristal has a PAST!" bit at the end made me groan. I assumed she was supposed to be our "character to identify with," but that will need some work. I was also kind of groaning inwardly at Blake and Cristal getting married so quickly.

Keep in mind that large media companies have people on the payroll to create social media 'trends' for their products, so take a lot of the "instantly positive" social media coverage with a grain of salt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,632
    A;though they got married at the end of the three hour pilot of the original, too.
    Yes, I guess sleeping with a married man who gets murdered and whose wife is crazy just isn't enough today.

I'm guessing necrophiliac hooker employed by ISis, but we'll see.

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Just finished watching the pilot... not horrible, but not good either.

I do like that Claudia looks more like a hot mess then the more subdued/elegant version of season 1/2 of Claudia in the original version.

I wish that each scene was longer then a minute each,but I do like the mentions of Alexis.. plus Fallon vs Blake in business (story ideas from the 1st season of the original show). Cristal seems more like a bitch then a good guy.. so I'm curious to see what Alexis will be like when she does show up.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,193
    I thought it was reasonably enjoyable, but I didn't expect much. They squeezed a lot into the pilot, but it's rare for shows to even have two hour premieres these days, much less three; add that they obviously skipped Ted Dinard and went with Matthew as the murder victim (a good choice). No opening titles is hardly surprising - not many broadcast shows have them. Watching Knots Landing recently The average episode is maybe 47-48 minutes long. Now it's 42 minutes. It's nothing the new audience will care about, it's just the norm.

I liked the touch that Steven idealism is between him and Blake instead of going for the gay route.

I agree that right now there's a lack of sympathetic characters and they obviously went for camp rather than class, but like it or not that's what Dynasty is best known for. Then again, I think there was a lack of overall character development since it was so crammed. I can only hope that now that they've gotten the main storyline set up that we'll get to know the characters more, but I also think it needs to cull the cast somewhat (though it was a hi and bye for poor dead Matthew, but I guess he'll appear in flashbacks at least) - too many characters right now.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +360
    How I watched:
    [​IMG]

How I would've watched, had it mattered:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +203
    How BAD! The intro with Trumps and Kadashians was awful just awful and Fallon´s voice over made it look like a reality show ... a bad reality show. I´m sad what they´ve done to it ....they even talk about Kim Kadashian. The originial would have talk about the Kennedys or Rockefellers at least about some people with style. The backround music is like the mansion updated in the ugliest way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,472
    I saw the pilot episode today. I think they tried to hit all of the notes (Blake vs Steven, Cristal vs Joseph, Matthew, Michael, Claudia, Blake dismissing Fallon in business) as if they felt obligated to. Maybe that is what it meant for them to stick close to the original, maybe they were concerned the fans of the original would have demanded that. And because it was perceived as a chore by them, it came across so in the scene as well. There was certainly a lot happening, but not at a pace and in a way that the audience was carried along.

The narration voice-over was laughable, and the moments of true emotion amounted to zero (DYNASTY had these well beyond the first season, no matter what nonsense magazine and newspaper reviewers say about that). Michael and Joseph had the most to offer as characters and actors. Fallon and Cristal were complete cartoons, and not just in writing. Matthew brought a great warmth to the role
    Register or to view Spoiler content!
    . Grant Show's Blake was interesting to me. He may grow even better, if the show sticks around. Steven is just bland. How did Alexis and Blake gave birth to such a dud? I want to like Sam Flores, but I am not there by a long shot.

Finally, yes, the trailer did give the right idea for the show. Frankly, if this were not named DYNASTY, I doubt I would watch the next episode.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,472
    And yet, Krystle getting depressed over the loss of her baby in season 2 carried resonance, as did Blake's guilt over Steven's death in season 3 and Adam's agony over karma biting him back in season 4 with his daughter. The custody battle for little Danny had real emotion as well. The plots started getting off the rails after a point, but there was still enough good material (parts of writing, lots of acting) to give some substance for subsequent seasons. nuDYNASTY starts with nothing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +649
    One thing I noticed about the lack of a title sequence here: at least (albeit all there was was the Dynasty title) they had one nod to the O-R '81 Forsythe-- the fountain design that was used to start the sequence, and also as a separator between some of the cast title cards then (to wit, this, as captured from the repackaged CBS first-season release)...

dynastyfountaindesign.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,328
    With all the stuff the producers "want to do," I fear "character moments" will be far down on that list. When producers live in fear of early cancellation (as all do these days), they cram all the plot-plot-plot into the shows and leave characterization for later on, when they get a mid-season pickup.

That special effect where Matthew got "blasted" by the exploding truck was unintentionally funny. The gruesome bit with the wind-turbine blade was more effective and we didn't even see the results. Sometimes less is more--even on Dynasty. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    Just saw it and it was actually better than i thought it would be.
    I'm not sure who to root for but i don't really dislike any character so far either. The acting wasn't bad as well, i thought it would be worse.
    A little sad to see Matthew go so soon, the guy looked sexy. :oops:
    The wind turbine scene was really scary and shocking, some nice special effects here, i did not expect something like that.
    I'm glad they left out Lindsay though, as that was the most annoying character of the original show to me :D
    Loved all the little nods to the original pilot, the pool billard scene, Blakes reference to lots of flower bouquets while apologizing to Krys... uhm.. CRISTAL. ;)

My biggest disappointment were actually the first 30 seconds, that "intro". Just NO! :mo:
    I was waiting for a proper title sequence until 6 minutes into the episode, but then i gave up. :(
    Maybe there is a chance for opening credits from the 2nd episode on, as i doubt they will repeat that same intro again, so fingers crossed.
    I don't like (and don't get) why Joseph has to be called "Aynders" by everyone. WTF?! It's kinda rude as well, to call someone just by his last name. Or did they change it and "Aynders" is his first name now? :confuse:

What i really hated is the music they used. I didn't like any of it, it makes it feel cheap and kind of low class.

I was really expecting to rip it apart today, but i can't, as it's not that bad actually. :lol:
    So - i'm in for the next episodes. Let's see where this nuDynasty goes.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +649
    That's what I saw just earlier in reviewing the pilot of the newer Dynasty (that fountain design over the skyline shot of Atlanta), and I thought that that was the biggest nod to the O-R '81 Forsythe.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,990
    I didn’t care for the first 5 minutes, I’m not a fan of someone narrating a story, so I was pleased that stopped. I thought it was heavy on the music, but that could just me and the mixed feelings, to begin with. I started enjoying when Fallon & Steven came home and then with Cristal telling Joseph what she wanted and his reaction to her needs/demands. Loved it when Cristal said she preferred Bowie on Spotify to a full orchestra.

The house, the gardens looked amazing

I’m also liking Blake telling Cristal that it was Fallon who exposed the picture of her and Matthew.

“She’ll never see me as anything but the girl you are banging”

Loved the moment when Cristal said to Fallon “That’s no way to talk to your new boss”

“Bite me Cristal”

“Please, call me mom”

:D:D:D

The wedding garden was awesome and even better to hear Bowie.

TWG.jpg

Sammy Joe is a man and he’s gay? Love it! :D

I like the ending wwhere Joseph threatens Cristal, he knows everything ya know.

Matthew is dead? That was quick.

Overall I enjoyed the show, but it’s not the kind of show I would normally watch today. Having said that I’m definitely curious by how the season plays out and based on the idea that it’s a reboot I’m sticking with it all the way.

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    Honestly it wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be. Of course all the things that are wrong with it are things I assumed would be wrong. The biggest problem is as others have pointed out, Cristal. It actually feels like she's fighting against what she should be doing. She seems too forced, even combative. That exchange that she has with Aynders in the kitchen were she says she'd rather have Bowie on a sound system and wildflowers rather than a string quartet in the ballroom was awful and made me dislike her when I felt it was made to endear her to me. Similarly when Steven comes and crashes the dinner and calls out Blake for whoring him out there are cutaways to Cristal, who in the original would have been sympathetic but here it's a bit soulless.

Everyone speaks in the same way, there are no stand out personalities. You don't know if someone is a chauffer or an oil tycoon, there seems to be no class divide which I felt was there in the original. Joseph is great and Alan Dale seems to be having fun in his role, and hardly doing any work at all which is good. I like Grant Show and he's I think, the perfect casting for Blake in this reboot. I had suggested him before in remake threads. He's classically good looking but wearing on a bit in years and that's just right for Blake. Fallon isn't as vapid as the promos made her out to be. I am hoping that when there isn't as much plot and exposition to cram in in subsequent episodes that we will see more layering of her character. It would also be interesting to see how her character arc goes on this version. I mean they cant really f*** it up anymore than the original did. It would be great if they used the original shows plot points as markers, but used logic to explain things. Personality issues stemming from buried childhood trauma? Steven is also better than I had expected, and it is refreshing to see him actually be gay. I mean Al Corley's tortured portrayal from season one was beautiful but realistically it just couldn't work now without seeming archaic. And Steven is gay, so I don't want any hints of Jack Coleman and his uptight clenched anus, sexuality flip flopping here. Steven is cuter though than how he came across in promos and pictures. Sammy Jo is cute and a hustler much like the original only now she's a he. I thought it would bother me but it doesn't.

The incidental music is mostly dreadful except for one piece that was used quite a bit, it sounds very grand and could be ominous or just sweeping. I only had the one watch so I'm not sure what it was or where it played. That house looks better on screen than any of the promos and pictures I had seen. It was dressed beautifully for most scenes. Styled not that unlike the original. My main concern is how do they re-create that after the pilot and when they are on a CW budget. I am guessing we will get a scaled-down set with the long hallway, the staircase, maybe not double stairs and a dinning room and few other rooms. The next few episodes are likely to bother me as far as the look of the sets go. I mean they showed us the Carrington stables, I am going to need to see more of that, and Michael Culhane's garages and what not. I need the whole Dynasty world thanks.

They mentioned Alexis about 4 or 5 times which was nice so I'm perched to see who they cast now and they did give the "I hardly recognized you" line to another character. This time Fallon, I wonder will that keep up, episodes named after lines from the original?

That intro was horrible, I didn't need to see Trump or The Kardashians thanks. The cancer of the world. They best give us a Dynasty jingle at least next time around.
    They must have re-edited the pilot since the first reviews surfaced as we first read that Blake mocks a company video that uses the Dynasty theme as it's backing music. Instead we got a flashback to young Steven playing it on piano and Fallon rapping.

I'm intrigued at least and hope if they can open up the characters a bit more and drastically correct Cristal's fighting nature thing then this could be a pretty decent show. How do they make her the soul of the show though when they started her so terribly?

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1