Richard and Maggie's romance.

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by kenneth, Apr 16, 2019.

1. kenneth

kenneth Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Let me first say I truly liked it, they had great chemistry and the romance was off the charts. And it led to Richard's redemtion (at least until season 8 producers got their hands on him and turned him into a one note villain).

That being said, it really did not do Maggie any favors. Contrarely it required her character to be easily manipulated, blind and naive, if not stupid at times.

Despite everything he had done to her family, despite her warnings to Terry when she married him, despite learning about his past, despite him admitting to it, despite people coming to her with evidence to the contrary, she absolutely refused to belive he was capable of bad things in the present.

And this from a strong willed, smart woman who after 25 years of marriage immediately called Chase out on it when his midlife crisis brought all his worst qualities to the forefront.

Another example of a fantastic story and arc sadly forcing a character to behave out of character.

Thought?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,241
    Medals:
    Yes, the amount of things Maggie either turned a blind eye to or forgave Richard for was ridiculous. She just kept coming back for more and didn't seem to learn from her mistakes. So yeah, she did come off more and more like a doormat/idiot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,966
    Medals:
    I thought neither Chase nor Richard was right for Maggie although I thought her pairing with Richard was the more interesting. Chase was not a supportive spouse and suppressed Maggie's individuality and Richard was a mini gangster which conflicted with Maggie's wholesomeness.

But yes, there was an inconsistency with Maggie who after years of complaining about or fighting Angela for her ruthlessness she would happily marry someone who was just as bad and in some ways worse.

Maggie turned into someone who was a bit like the wife of Robert Maxwell (he was a UK press baron who stole money from his workers pension funds) who when he died was asked what was it like being married to such a monster and she answered "he was a wonderful monster to me". That's what Maggie became, she knew Richard was bad but she was able to separate that from how he was with her.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,878
    Medals:
    Of course it was Susan Sullivan's idea for her character Maggie to be paired with Richard. Despite a seemingly complete turnaround in her choice of male companion you would think such a pairing couldn't have worked but it did, even with the variables going against them. Their last year together was a ripping apart wake up call. In the Paley Center reunion 'A Look Back' of 2010 Susan spoke about how Maggie tried to redeem Richard but ended up dead in the swimming pool anyhow, albeit accidentally. Maggie and Richard had this great love for each other. However this love was never going to result in a Golden Wedding anniversary.

Maggie and Richard are at their dinner, (a scene from season 6, 1986 - '87):

Maggie: "Sometimes I'm a little depressed and sometimes I'm even a little bit in love!"

Richard interprets that Maggie is talking about Chase.

Richard: "Have you tried telling him that?"

Maggie: "I'm telling him now!"

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Medals:
    Their scene in Richard's house at the end of season four was off the charts hot. I liked how it was so gradual and you could tell Richard was just in awe of Maggie, even in the previous season when she had her op. Initially the feelings were a bit one sided but with Chase behaving the way he did in his last year then Maggie gave into temptation and became so smitten with Dicky.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +904
    From a storytelling perspective this pairing makes absolute sense. Maggie's connection to Falcon Crest is initially Chase, once they divorce there is much less of a connection. Pairing Maggie with Angela's step-son/Chase's brother (later to be revealed as Angela's son/Chase's cousin) keeps Maggie closely connected to the rest of the characters. The other reason the pairing works is the undeniable chemistry between Susan Sullivan and David Selby. I have no problem accepting them as a couple; some women are drawn to complicated men.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +559
    Medals:
    Did Richard say to Chase that he envied what he had i.e. the gentleman's family with Maggie as the stunning looking mother? I believe he did. I suppose Richard not having a close family until later in life made him very jealous of Chase. However this didn't stop him from being a sinister b**t**d and ruining what he had with Maggie. Despite this they did look good together as a couple, even if Maggie was often blinkered.