1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rewatching thoughts

Discussion in 'Dallas Season Reviews' started by JROG, Feb 9, 2017.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
    Even after all these years, Bobby bringing Christopher home and Pam thinking it was their adopted baby is absolutely spine-tingling.

What a shot to the arm for a show whose second half of Season 4 and first half of Season 5 was somewhat anemic.

Indeed, following "Starting Over" (how ironic), things go into motion: Bobby has to hide Christopher's real origins, Donna and Ray finally have their big confrontation and Ray's depression begins, Sue Ellen is out of the Southern Cross, Ewing Oil in the absence of Jock has been brought up, and the Barnes/Ewing feud has been reignited.

Fascinating to watch Afton's progression. She's even lovelier than the first time around (even the singing!).

What I truly can't make sense out of is what they're doing with Mitch. Admittedly, I am MUCH more impressed with McCloskey's acting this time around (in fact, he seems to be giving it his ALL to make this work) but it took me a while to realize why they kept giving him story outside of his marriage to Lucy. And it hit me: They are genuinely treating him like a recurring character like Donna and Afton who can stand on his own. The only problem being, Afton's stories are all clicking, his remain WTF.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JROG

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
    Following Jock's death (the phone call to Miss Ellie, as well as her speech to Bobby about Jock being alive as long as she says he's alive being classics), there's an interesting adjustment of J.R.'s main motivation: From doing it all for his daddy to doing it all for his son (while still trying to made daddy proud). While first time around all this was necessary, upon rewatching it's just a bunch of scenes of J.R. being lovey dovey with his son that don't feel very believable or organic. I find myself waiting for the show to get on with it!

Lots of other little treasures, though: Creepy Roger watching Lucy from around corners, Katherine's subtle obsession with Bobby, Ray's depression...

• Like Like x 2
  3. JROG

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
    The last few episodes of Season 5 are wonderful in how it all comes together, storylines meet/collide, and a lot is paid off.

Pam finding out the truth about Christopher is a bit anti-climactic. And Sue Ellen was a serious problem this season: She became so dumb and selfish that it defies words. Where's the nasty, poison-tongued Sue Ellen? I understand the show was committed to finding a way to quickly bring her back into the Ewing fold (so quickly, in fact, that the arc of her and J.R.'s reconciliation starts on the episode right after their divorce!) but there was a lot of potential in seeing how the single life REALLY affected Sue Ellen.

On the other hand, Cliff's destruction, leading to his suicide attempt, Jock's death/Miss Ellie's grief, and Ray's depression were top-notch and I really enjoyed rewatching the Jonas Culver story, Roger stalking Lucy, and Katherine emerging. I cried a lot during some key moments in Miss Ellie's journey.

Part of what makes this rewatch exciting is that I don't recall a lot of details of some of the major supporting characters and their arcs. It's been great witnessing Rebecca again, Pointer doing some great work, even if I still feel she's not really established or multi-dimensional as she should be. And, now, onto Season 6, I'm thrilled to rediscover Mickey. It's so much fun how Ray keeps manhandling him in an effort to instill some sense into him lol

And then there's all these little details you forget: How Dave invites a bored Donna to a speech which turns out to be him against the OLM. How juicy!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1