Melrose Place Rewatching Melrose Place

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by ABrown, Jun 8, 2018.

1. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11
    So I'm rewatching one of my all time favorite shows, Melrose Place, on dvd. I'm not gonna lie, I skipped the first season and went straight to season two, as season one was (for the most part) a bore. I was really surprised that I didn't remember that in the fifth episode of season two (Of Bikes and Men), Jake went absolute ape $hit in Jo's appartment. And then he acted like she had no right to get freaked out the way that she did. Let me tell you, I got freaked out as the VIEWER. I couldn't imagine had I witnessed someone behave that way in real life. I'm curious what else I won't remember after all of these years.

2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    The official DVDs with all the cut music? I can't stand to watch the show on those, even if I tend to get a season here or there if I see them for cheap.

Yeah, that scene was brutal and of course Jo was incredibly freaked out. One of the things that in hind-sight from re-watching the show is that I don't find Amanda to be a bitch at all. Most of the time she never really goes after anyone who doesn't go after her - the Bruce situation is one of those times where she's entirely in the wrong. But usually she'd cover for Alison when she was going through her crap and she was willing to try and kick Jake out after he trashed Jo's apartment.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I don't know. Amanda pursued Billy even though she knew Alison was interested in him, and then she jumped at every chance to make her suffer. She also went after Jake when he was still with Jo. In her relationships with Billy and Jake, Amanda was shown to be very bossy, and she treated them like she was a queen and they were some peasants (which, of course, in reality they were, but that's not a good basis for a relationship, is it?).

Amanda only met her match in Peter Burns, and that's when she slowly shifted from heroine to victim (in the 2nd half of season 3).

Most of the times, Alison was reponsible for her own problems and she treated her friends like crap. But unlike Amanda, she knew when to apologize to people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Amanda’s villainy generally had motivation on the original series. And she had a heart, too - like when she mortgaged the building to get Jo out of jail.

On Melrose 2.0, Amanda was a villain for the sake of being a villain. Very poor writing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I recall being a pre-teen when Melrose was on.. and I remembered thinking Amanda was a horrible villianess.

As an adult, I remember re-watching season 2 (a perfect balance of the heart of season with some soapy fun mixed in )... that Amanda was actually acting like an intelligent adult instead of indulging immature people. I was surprised more wasn't made of the fact that Amanda was a few years older than the other residents which explained why she made logical sense.

One example was Jane berating Amanda for allowing Sydney to rent an apartment without discussing it with her.. and Amanda, very matter of fact, explained that Sydney had a co-signer on the lease and had put down the security deposit so why shouldn't she rent to her.

Another example was when Amanda told Billy that she had been covering for Allison at work, and she did understand all the trouble Allison had been in with the stalker, etc.. but that she had to figure out how to balance her personal life with her professional life..

My last example was when Matt asked Amanda to lie if immigration questioned her about his green card marriage, and she was coming up with reasons why she couldn't lie due to it being against the law, she didn't want her father's company to be held liable, etc... and finally they agreed to a compromise where Amanda would say she didn't know anything about their marriage..that as long as the rent was paid on time, she didn't care... etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    Exactly. I mean, Amanda asked Alison point blank if it was okay if she started dating Billy and if there was something going on between them. She also didn't break up Jake and Jo - that was on them and their own obvious insecurities. That Amanda later wanted to push Billy, Jake and Kyle to want more out of life is also fairly in character.

And yes, her agreeing not to rat Matt out, but wouldn't outright lie about them seems like a completely reasonable thing. She'd have a lot to lose if she did and it's not reasonable to expect her to either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,222
    I still need season 6 and 7 on dvd, but it'sn not even available on region 2. :(

8. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    I also have to say this - Jake's (obvious) anger and trust issues are very well built up from season 1. He obviously has great resentment for his mother and father and the way his upbringing was. They drew a line with Jake's issues - he might destroy and hit things, but he would never hit a woman. Hence why they brought in Jess in season 3, someone who didn't have those barriers.

It's like Alison's alcoholism storyline. It was there from the start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +208

I agree about Alison's alcoholism story... I recall one scene after Alison had a bad day that she didn't drink.. but ordered a pizza and ate the whole pizza remarking to Billy that at least she wasn't drowning her sorrows for once. She had addictive tendencies, couldn't handle pressure, and never felt loved or valued.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,357
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    If I had had Clint Ogden as a very "loving" daddy, I´d become a serial killer instead of an alcoholic as she did. Poor, poor underrated Alison...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2