Rewatching Early Knots Landing

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by LuluMcGinty, Aug 13, 2019 at 4:17 PM.

1. LuluMcGinty

LuluMcGinty Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello. First post here for me .

I recently dug out my Knots Season 1 and 2 discs and rewatched them over a few weeks. It had been a while since I’d seen them and thought I’d hop on here and share a few of my thoughts.

One thing that does strike me in the very early seasons is the characters are very real. We all know someone like Richard who’s annoying but has good intentions deep down, a couple like Val and Gary who have respective struggles with addiction and mental health issues (never said specifically with Val but it’s there) or someone like Karen who’s very moral but gets more than a bit too involved.

As much as I like Sid I think he was written out at the right time. He’s nice and his relationship with Karen is lovely at times, BUT it was good to see her with Mack later on. He had more “oomph” and it was a different kind of dynamic.

Kenny and Ginger do seem to be a bit of a let down. There was probably a lot more the writers could have done with them but at the end of the day the others just took centre stage and they faded into the background.

Then Laura (the only original character I haven’t mentioned) is just brilliant. So many different sides to her - the wife who does love her husband but finds him difficult and craves better things, but also a strong woman that takes charge and makes the situation right when Richard messes things up.

I get that the viewers wanted it to be more soapy and the original style couldn’t have gone on forever, but I really like how much it plays on the emotions and gets to the heart of relationships. The previous time I watched it I was very young and didn’t really appreciate that but now as a woman in my 30s I can really relate to a lot of the stuff that goes on with the characters.

Overall really good to rewatch.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 4:19 PM
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Billy Nolan

Billy Nolan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Oh great posting!
    We watch KL right now with the whole family. My eldest son (age 10) LOVES this series which is a far cry from his Ninjago-action-series he usually watch at his age...
    So we re-watched the early seasons from January - April this year (Season 1 - 3). I haven´t seen KL since nearly 20 years. Now I watched this series as an adult and family father - with different views than I did 2 decades ago.
    I agree with most of your points.
    Though I liked the Sid - Karen chemistry, I often felt Sid was out of his time... An example was how he delt with Eric´s drug "problem" which was no problem in my eyes.
    Kenny and Ginger were a beautiful but boring part of the series. A change came in Season 4 with the Ward´s and the Ciji-storyline.
    Laura and Gary were two multi-dimensional characters. Very well written... Better than "Season 2 - Abby"

3. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +734
    Medals:
    Seasons 01-04 can’t be beat! That was how KL should have always been!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    Medals:
    Welcome!

I actually don't because I don't know what is going on deep down in other people. Like icebergs and observable percentages and hidden bits. And if I were to find them annoying or very moral and getting too involved, I'd vanish from their lives with my secrets intact without a second thought. I much prefer those sorts of people on television.

I loved Sid. Mack became increasingly annoying to me from about season seven onwards.

Only a bit?

5. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    Medals:
    Yes, those episodes are essential for understanding the characters before they become involved in the more involved storylines.