Dallas Actors Retrospective of DALLAS with Patrick Duffy & Linda Gray 3/23/2017

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Tina Ewing, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Tina Ewing

Tina Ewing Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    currently unemployed
    Ratings:
    +166
  2. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    I didn't feel sorry for Katherine at all! In fact, I thought that she was lucky not only to be able to afford but actually complete the purchase of her parents' former home (which presumably was where she had lived her entire childhood). Some people find it comforting to connect with their past by spending time in their childhood home. It's a place where all the fond and cherishable moments of the past seem to come to life again. You feel closer to the people that are no longer with us when you're there! :)

I know people who have a family summer house that has been in the family for generations. And everyone loves coming there, because it brings back so many wonderful memories. The spirits of the ones who have passed on are somehow still present! :)

It's my dream to be able to purchase the place that my great grandparents bought in 1902. Not only my grandmother but also my dad and his six siblings were born in that house. (Note: My grandmother and my grandfather took over the place from her parents, when they married). My grandmother ended up living her entire life in that house up until her death. Today, my dad's brother owns the place. I just love coming by for visits. That house holds so much history and magic for me and now also my own family. I can remember going out to pick strawberries or digging up fresh potatos with my grandmother when I was a young child. My uncle never married and didn't have any children, so I would love to be able to keep the house and the land in our family for many more generations to come! :) But so far, it's just a dream!;)

Most likely, Linda and Patrick were asked to be a part of the Dallas Retrospective event and talk about their Dallas memories. It's not like they spend their life aiming to keep Dallas alive, which makes a big difference, IMO! :)

I agree 100 percent! :)

The team behind TNT Dallas didn't have the original Dallas "flowing" in their veins and thus made quite a "mess"! :a2: Just imagine the loud roar of longtime Dallas fans", if oil drilling had taken place on Southfork land! CC would most likely have been the laughing stock of the decade (or maybe even the century)! And her career in Hollywood would be over! :D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +517
    About Patrick's clogs, I've heard him say that he wears them because they're the only shoes comfortable enough for him because of nerve damage in his feet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    It is hard to feel sorry for Katherine in financial terms. She had enough money to buy her parents old mansion back, pay for her own bail, AND have enough to live off the grid indefinitely without getting caught again! Buying her old house back and living in Houston again while trying to find something good for her life would have been better for her therapeutically after her mother's death instead of moving to Dallas and spending so much time with siblings that she obviously resented and trying to steal her sister's husband. What I hated was that she actually had to buy the house back in the first place! Rebecca should have left it to Katherine in her will, not sold it. I mean, she gives Pam a house, but not Katherine or Cliff? WTH? And it was stupid of Rebecca to leave Pam that other house when she was obviously still living at Southfork with Bobby before the plane crash! It was kind of insulting to Pam, too. It was like saying: "Since I think the Ewings are all bad anyway, you can have this house since I think you and Bobby will just divorce anyway!"

Maybe I was a bit harsh about the Dallas Retrospective, but it seems like it would have made more sense to me to do this a few years earlier when the cancellation was still fresh.

5. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Funny how they could rewrite that, but not mistakes like Miss Ellie being in a mental institution, Clayton apparently not existing, and Katherine being dead, just to mention a few!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,156
    Dallas was the first show to tear at my heart strings. From the revelation that Digger wasn't Pam's father, that Cliff might be John Ross's father, to Wes Parmalee being Jock Ewing & JR at the end of his tether & wanting to kill himself. Dallas was a big part of my life for the duration it originally ran on BBC1 back in the 80's.

I hope someone puts this retrospective up on YouTube so I can get to see it. Lorimar broke the mould with Dallas when it began back in the late 70's. We'll probably never see the like of it again. However, even now I believe we might not have seen the last of Dallas. It is possible that Warner's will monitor how successful the Dynasty revival/reboot does in the ratings. So there may be hope that Dallas could yet return to television someday in the future, never say never. :mall:

• Like Like x 5
  7. pd fan

pd fan Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +878
    Thanks Tina for sharing with us the pictures and video of Patrick and Linda :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    With all due respect to any feet problems that PD may struggle with, it is possible (even for people with a "normal" income) to buy dress shoes that are made especially for people with various feet issues! ;). A grey suit, pink tie, and red clogs just don't go together! :oops: LOL ... but I got a good laugh out of it though! :D

9. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,068
    Medals:
    Thank you Tina for sharing the photos and video. :)

I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds painful. :(

Personally I couldn't care less what kind of shoes he wears. It's his choice to wear whatever he feels comfortable in.
    Also I didn't even notice the shoes until other fans kept bringing them up and I took an extra look. In general I don't notice what shoes people wear. I pay more attention to their facial expressions and what is being said.

I love Linda and Patrick. I think they are wonderful people who are always very kind to their fans and I'm just glad that they did this event for the fans. It's good to see that they want to keep the Dallas legacy alive. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,068
    Medals:
    I hope Dallas will be back some day. It would need a proper ending. A five episode mini-series would do nicely to tie it up. :)
    But honestly I don't want a Dallas reboot the way that they are now rebooting Dynasty. I don't want the Dynasty reboot either and I won't watch that since it's not the same actors but new people playing the familiar parts and I am not interested in watching that.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,588
    Medals:
    The success of This Is Us proves there's still a market for family drama in some form but you do have to wonder at the point of reviving an old show and not staying true to the original. It will inevitably alienate the old fans while the new viewers will avoid it, ironically thinking that it is the same old thing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    Gee, I wish I was at this event. My question to Patrick would have been. "What went through your mind when you killed off Katherine, mid sentence?"

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    It will be a weird experience watching Dynasty 2.0 however I'm prepared to give it a viewing. I suspect though Dynasty 2.0 is being re-booted for entire different generation, not marketed towards me. I can live with that.

Re-booting Dallas? Hell no! There is never a need to re-boot Dallas when there is so much history a continuation can draw on, just have someone of competence to steer it.

As for the above clip when Linda speaks about John Travolta playing JR and Jennifer Lopez playing Sue Ellen. I heard that story a long time ago when a movie was being sprouted. How the hell do you squeeze all those years into a 2 hour movie? And if a movie was to be seriously produced, is it played for laughs or out and out drama?

• Like Like x 4
  14. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Exactly!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    I'm kind of leery of a Dallas reboot, too. I worry that they would try to focus more on oversexualizing things or feel that they have to modernize everything with pop culture elements and increase the swearing from the characters. They might also possibly ignore the fact that Dallas was in the 80s. All in order to make it look like they are trying to "connect with millennials" (whatever the hell that term is even supposed to really mean).

I remember all of that about John Travolta and Jennifer Lopez in a Dallas movie. Guess they felt that just using any popular actor or actress was good enough for any roles in Dallas then. And I guess that they planned to spend the whole two hours of the movie focusing on JR and Sue Ellen's relationship more than anything else even though there was so much more to Dallas.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,068
    Medals:
    I am so glad that the horrible movie idea with Travolta and Lopez was scrapped. For all it's faults at least Dallas TNT did one thing right and that was to involve Larry, Linda and Patrick and get them to reprise their roles. :D

• Like Like x 2
  17. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,588
    Medals:
    I imagine they would concentrate on just one major incident. One possibility might be to remake the first and fifth parts of the mini-series. As for the second question, the temptation would be to make it a Brady Bunch Movie-type spoof. I think John Travolta could have played it either way with a sitcom background similar to Larry's.

18. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    Yes...but in certain scenes it played well. I'll never forget that kitchen scene between John Ross and Sue Ellen in TNT Dallas when John Ross confronts his mother after she had stabbed him in the back.

"Bullshit..I know what I saw," says a screaming Sue Ellen. In the right circumstances it worked well.

• Like Like x 1
  19. cathy duffy

cathy duffy Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7
    imagesECQKKVOJ.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,156
    Ah, my no good half-sister!

She once dated a Randy guy, who looked like Brad Pitt.

I bet neither of them were mentioned in the retrospective! ;) :)