1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas Actors Remembering Howard Keel - Nov 7th 2004

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Barbara Fan, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,516
    Medals:
    Its that time of year again, almost 12 years ago since Howard Keel died ... He had a devoted family who loved him til the end and I know how much he is missed by them and by all his fans around the world.

He had star quality, he was given a great voice and I dont think I have met an actor who appreciated his fans so much. I was lucky to meet him several times after his concerts in UK, and after 2 hours 40 mins on stage of singing his old and new songs and sharing a little bit of what it was like to work on Dallas with the audience, he would be in the foyer at the end of the show signing autographs for his fans.

I loved him on Dallas as Clayton Farlow and I am so glad that he became a permanent member of the Dallas cast. I loved Howard Keel even more and i think he is the nicest Dallas star I have ever met along with Linda Gray.

I was lucky enough to stay with Judy Keel in 2008 for 6 days and it was such a thrill to see his memorabilia. She is one lovely lady and I can see why he married Jude!
    I also think he would have been exceptionally proud to have walked his beloved daughter Leslie down the aisle when she got married earlier this year.

Thanks for the memories Howard, your legacy will live on for a long time to come, thanks to your singing voice, Dallas and your film roles.

You will never be forgotten

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to @Karin Schill for the great HK / BBG video featuring one of my fav HK songs

• Like Like x 5
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,895
    I knew nothing of Howard Keel prior to his appearance on Dallas. As I was born in 1965 I missed the era that was Hollywood musicals. Though others argue he was no replacement for Jim Davis I believe his introduction as Clayton Farlow was a natural fit. I bet Howard was immensely proud to Dallas as it kick-started his second phase career.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,682
    Medals:
    For me it was the reverse. I wasn't around for the Great Musical era but I grew up watching them on TV with my parents before Dallas was even thought of. Howard Keel's name still evokes those memories for me first.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +10,012
    Medals:
    I knew Howard Keel as Clayton on Dallas first. I've only started to watch his movies in the last 15 years or so and there's a lot to enjoy. I love watching classic movies that were made long before I was even born. I do think movies from this time era are better made than most movies made today. Also the stars back then were different than today, more charismatic, glamorous and more interesting somehow. :)

I also loved reading Howard's book. It's a shame he died before he was able to go on book tours with it. :(

I'm glad you still enjoy that video BF. You'd be happy to hear that I'm actually working on a new Howard Keel Tribute Video.
    Something that will include some of his movies... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,895
    Unlike today, actors were tightly controlled by the studios with their contracts. Studios ruled and their stable of actors were treated like ornaments. Studios even went as far as selecting homes, what to wear, orchestrating events and marriages - it didn't matter if the bloke was gay. I'll agree there is something glamorous about that era but unfortunately today with paparazzi wishing to feed the mass market of gossip magazines and websites most stars today are caught off guard looking and acting, well, just like the rest of us - normal.

Social media has a lot to answer for as well. Some will argue actors, celebrities, pop-stars have better control over their own careers but I don't need my teenage daughter witnessing Justin Bieber jet-setting off to another drop dead gorgeous island frolicking around naked. It's like he is saying to his millions of followers; thanks for pouring your hard earned pocket money into my coffers while you continue working part-time at McDonald's, I'm off jet-setting around the Caribbean. I'll agree it's his money to spend as he wishes (just like my daughters), just remember where those $$$ came from.

I think today we care far too much about actors/celebrities personal lives while in the Golden Era that was Hollywood we knew little of our favourite actors other than what was spoon fed to us. Different times.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +10,012
    Medals:
    I think it's partly true. I think people have always been interested in knowing about the stars personal lives. So I'm sure people back then were as fascinated by the celebrities as people are today. Maybe even more. But the stars were less accessible back then and their fans mostly got to know about their favorite stars from what the movie magazines were printing about them and also gossip columnists like Hedda Hopper and Louella Parson. So the stars back then somehow appeared larger than life and can not be compared to the reality tv stars that we have today etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Oh, Clayton. Why did you die? <SMASH> <CRASH> Damn Damn Damn!

8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +6,048
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Thanks to BF for remembering the one and only Howard Keel. His songs from "7 Brides for 7 Brothers" were the soundtrack of my early childhood (as young as 5 as I can remember!) because that record was among my dad´s collection and he used to play it often. Actually it´s a bit odd to me listening to the songs while watching the movie because I knew the songs before, though it´s a great movie of that time, still unsurpassed in many ways.

About the movie stars of the past, I think there is a general misunderstanding from the younger generation: I agree with Karin about people´s fascination about the classic stars and the gossips´ manipulation of their lives (more on this in my new fanfic, Karin...you know which one). The lesser you know about them, the easier it is to idolize them. All of us have had our little disappointments to know this or that detail about our favorite stars, especially when we were teenagers (I myself can´t still believe that Richard Gere is NOT gay!).

upload_2016-11-7_23-9-10.jpeg

I was so lucky to take a look at some of the fan magazines of the times, from the 50´s and 60´s (not because I am THAT old, I just happened to find some of them), such as "Screen Gems", "Photoplay", "Modern Screen": the most focused on pure stardom and gossip, and how!

[​IMG]

When you read what they said and compare it with the truth that eventually became public through memoirs, documentaries and live interviews, you can clearly see who were being "given" a rose-colored fictional life (gay and / or child-abusing and / or alcoholic and / or drug-addicted actors, ie people who couldn´t fit in the post-war society, so they had to accept that "marketing campaign"), those who were honest enough to admit their mistakes and moving on quickly (I´m thinking of "our" Liz here) or those who just had a very simple life and said "hi" and posed for the photographers if they really wanted to (these were probably too boring for the magazines, like any one of us...).

upload_2016-11-7_23-14-20.jpeg

I don´t think that the Hollywood industry has changed so much, it´s the society and the world in general who has changed, and the way we communicate. Hollywood still is what it was before (the place where everybody wants to work but nobody wants to live at), and there were scandals back then since the Silent Era, as there is a fictional "persona" made up by the press of every well-known actor as there was one in the past. Just go to Youtube and search for interviews, and see how Actress Banana Smith answered to questions about her life and career when she started, and how she does the same work now, going directly to the unspontaneous, impersonal answers that must deal "only about the movie". You got to learn how to do it to survive, otherwise people get burnt too fast. This also happens to music stars, and, to a lesser extent, to politicians and "trash" celebrities, but these two latter cases really deserve what they get.

[​IMG]

Just my 2 cents.

PS: Sorry for the off-topic. Back to Mr. Keel, I always had the impression that he was not too complicated in real life...Maybe Barbara Fan can confirm or deny this...;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Karin Schill

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +10,012
    Medals:
    There's actually a lot more to Howard Keel than meets the eye Toni. I can really recommend you to read his book: "Only Make Believe: My Life In Showbusiness" if you haven't already. It's a great read and you get to know Howard Keel who was actually more different from Clayton Farlow than one could believe from watching Dallas. But that was because Howard was a class act. He could make you believe he was the character he played! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    Lovely thread in remembrance of a wonderful man :)

Linda loved him :) I loved him on Dallas - one of the very few who had the balls to stand up to JR! :)

• Like Like x 4
  11. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,516
    Medals:
    Howard keel loved his family and his other pleasure apart from entertaining was Golf
    he normally did 2 rounds of Golf a day

he also had more talent in his little finger than the so called "celebs" ie kardashian crap nonsense who are famous for no talent and huge backsides and It sickens me that people can be caught up in the hype of these nonentities :wall:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,895
    I'll say. It helped also that Howard was tall in stature so had a commanding presence.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,895
    In the case of my mother...Rock Hudson was gay...not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,682
    Medals: