1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas Actors Remembering Howard Keel, 15 years on

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Barbara Fan, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,549
    Medals:
    Its that time of year again, 15 years ago since Howard Keel died ... He had a devoted family who loved him til the end and I know how much he is missed by them and by all his fans around the world.

He had star quality, he was given a great voice and I dont think I have met an actor who appreciated his fans so much. I was lucky to meet him several times after his concerts in UK, and after 2 hours 40 mins on stage of singing his old and new songs and sharing a little bit of what it was like to work on Dallas with the audience, he would be in the foyer at the end of the show signing autographs for his fans.

I loved him on Dallas as Clayton Farlow and I am so glad that he became a permanent member of the Dallas cast. I loved Howard Keel even more and i think he is the nicest Dallas star I have ever met along with Linda Gray.

I was lucky enough to stay with Judy Keel in 2008 for 6 days and it was such a thrill to see his memorabilia. She is one lovely lady and I can see why he married Jude!

Thanks for the memories Howard, your legacy will live on for a long time to come, thanks to your singing voice, Dallas and your film roles.

You will never be forgotten

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,946
    Medals:
    Miss you Mr Keel, a true gent with a remarkable voice.

Loved you as Clayton and thank you for looking after my Sue Ellen! :for:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 16 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,087
    Medals:
    Indeed, he did a sterling job coming into the show under difficult circumstances. He very much carved out his own niche.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    He was a real favourite of mine.

I loved that about Dallas, that it didn't matter about how old the actor's were, they were still good actor's.

Howard Keel was just a lovely actor. Rest In Peace.

howard.jpg

5. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Fan EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +504
    I always think he gets a raw deal for not being Jock. IMO, Clayton was one of the best characters on Dallas. Some of my favorite Clayton scenes was when he threatened to kill Parmelee at the Oil Barons Ball. When he sat in Jocks chair for the first time. Jr’s reaction was priceless. And when he rightfully told Jr, Bobby and Ray that if they didn’t do their homework, there won’t be any Ewing Oil.

RIP

• Like Like x 2
  6. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    I'm waiting for this to come after seeing it on eBay at quite a reasonable price.

There's a certificate of authenticity with it but I just wanted to see if any of my colleagues on here have his autograph too & if it looks similar?

Clayton.jpg

What a lovely man he was. May he Rest In Peace.

7. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Keel was great on Dallas - and often under utilised. By all accounts he was a genuinely lovely man. In the UK there was a long running and highly popular music show by another lovely guy called Val Doonican. Over 30 years Doonican hosted hundreds of guest stars and Keel was his favourite. Doonican remarked on Keel’s warmth, professionalism and talent, which he wore very lightly. I think he guest starred 3 or 4 times

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Star EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,679
    Medals:
    I liked Clayton most of the time and I think that as long as Miss Ellie was going to remarry, Howard Keel was excellent choice to play that character. I din't like that particular scene though. JR, Bobby and Ray all wanted Clayton to work with them even though he wasn't their father. Still they trusted him enough and viewed him as someone who would be an asset to their team. He was still new to the family then and it would have been a great way to show them some loyalty but he decided not to take sides between them and Cliff. Considering Cliff was a man who had spent his life trying to destroy the family he'd just married into, I don't know why he even had to think about it. One one side you have the sons of the woman he's just married and on the other, their worst enemy, but he couldn't pick a side??? That was bad enough, but then after refusing to work with them he tells them they're doing they're job badly. There's nothing more irritating than somebody who doesn't want to do any work to help and then criticizes the people who are working for doing the job the wrong way.

I usually liked him. I thought that Miss Ellie treated him unfairly when they were getting married with her refusal to compromise at all with Clayton. Let's look at the compromises Clayton made to marry Ellie:

1. Sells his ranch
    2. Moves away from his hometown where his friends are
    3. Leaves his company, knowing he won't be able to be run it on a daily basis anymore and will have a huge commute to work from Dallas
    4. Wants to at least buy a home for he and Ellie in Dallas and let her sons visit whenever they want but Ellie won't even consider it
    5. Moves into the house her ex-husband built, which still has his portrait on the wall
    6. Agrees to live in the same house with Ellie's adult sons!

That's what Clayton was willing to give up for Ellie. What was she willing to give up for him?

It portrayed Ellie in a very bad light, as a spoiled, selfish woman who just assumed Clayton should make all the sacrifices while making none of her own.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Fan EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Jr, Bobby and Ray wanted Clayton to do something that was morally wrong if not illegal if I remember correctly, which went against his character. I applaud Clayton for that. He shouldn’t have to become Jr just to fit in.

10. Barbara Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,549
    Medals:
    its a very small signature but looks like Howard Keels

i have attached a couple of mine so you can see

I have collected Dallas cast autographs since Feb 1980 and wrote religiously every year and sometimes twice a year

The best at responding were Howard Keel, Susan Howard, Steve Kanaly and Linda Gray although with Linda it was sometimes a superimposed autograph on a photo

Others who were good at replying were Deborah Shelton, Audrey Landers, Morgan Brittany and after 1987 Ken Kercheval, he was quiet til then

The Dallas children were also good and thanks to omri and Shalane in particular

The worst offenders at NOT replying were

Barbara bel geddes, Patrick Duffy and Larry Hagman, altho Hagman improved after Dallas was finished and sent me a birthday present 2 years on the trot which was great

Another kind person was Morgan Woodward who wrote a lovely letter that i treasure

Howards signature is short and scrawled together - He is the nicest celeb i have ever met, a very special man, who loved his fans too and gave of his best in concert

That makes him special in my book

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Barbara Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,549
    Medals:
    whoops forgot to atatch them lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  12. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    It's very appropriate that the signed picture of Howard Keel arrived today, 2nd April 2020 on the Anniversary date of the show he played Clayton Farlow on.

Rest In Peace Howard Keel. You are very much missed. :rip:

Happy Anniversary to Dallas. :hb:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  13. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    By all accounts he was a lovely man. Nobody had a bad word to say about him.

Thanks for the replies. :)

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +6,059
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    BF, Sarah will be your friend for life if you send her the address of Ms. Shelton... She has some clock bomb to deliver... :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::danc: