Reboot

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by stevew, Jul 13, 2019.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +841
    Medals:
    Dallas Reboot

Just curious of what people think following on the heels of the Dynasty reboot:

Detroit - if a change in location like Dynasty did, a d I think they should, must change the name in the case of Dallas

Company: Ewing Chemical as the primary asset of the Ewing family, stock in which is owned by GLICA (Great Lakes Investment Capital and Annuities), the family investment company / family office which is a private company owned by family trusts - keeping up with more appropriate structures today. There would also be a Ewing Family Foundation and a Daughters of the Colonies (DOC) organization to which the matriarch belongs.

Home: Gaukler Point - from the father’s side of the family, located on Lake St. Clair (freshwater sea) in the very wealthy suburb of Suttons Bay (made up, based on Grosse Pointe). I’d also add Haven Hill Farm from the mother’s side of the family as people this wealthy have multiple homes, there by splitting the concept of Southfork into two properties. Haven Hill would consist of Riding Stables (home to the family’s prized riding horses), Barns (housing for sheep and Black Angus cattle - the business of the farm along with growing rapeseed used in the chemical industry) and Original Farm House. Located about an hours drive in the beautiful Michigan countyside. I’d also add Skylands, the family’s upper peninsula hunting lodge in the private Porcupine Mountain Club.

[​IMG]

Other changes:

Oil Barrons Ball becomes the Auto Show Dinner Dance (following the Auto Show Preview Party) to benefit Walker Children’s Hospital

The Cattleman’s Club becomes The Detroit Sail Club

The Cattleman’s Bank becomes DNBC

As for the family, I’d switch up the names and relationships a bit to change things so as not to be the same as the original, even more than what I’ve seen with the Dynasty reboot, yet have be an obvious take on the original, three song include:

Eleanor “Ellie” Renee nee Haven Ewing played by Phylicia Rashad
    [​IMG]

John Ross “Jock” Ewing, III, who saved his family’s company (founded by his grandfather) from ruin has died, setting off the events to follow

Jason” Stewart Ewing, Jock’s younger brother takes the place as the patriarch of the family, setting up a Hamlet scenario, a bit of a JR type character, played by Paul Reiser
    [​IMG]

John Ross” Ewing, IV (instead of using the iconic JR name itself), the oldest child of Jock and Ellie, a bit more like the original Jock, played by Jensen Ackles
    [​IMG]

Sue Ellen” nee Shepard Ewing, an east coast debutante/socialite, played by Julie Gonzalo
    [​IMG]

note: mentioned but missing middle child, Garrison “Gary” Arthur Ewing

Lucille “Lucy” Renee Ewing, Gary’s abandoned child raised by her grandparents and Uncle John Ross and Aunt Sue Ellen, played by Bella Thorne
    [​IMG]

note: farm foreman role of Ray as a minor character

John Ross “JR” Ewing, V, advanced in age to be just younger than his cousin Lucy, played by Shawn Mendez
    [​IMG]

Roberta “Bobby” Renee Ewing, the youngest child of Jock and Ellie, a bit more like JR, played by Rose Byrne
    [​IMG]

Paul “Paulo” James Barnes, retired navy Seal, on again, off again relationship with Bobby, played by Adan Canto
    [​IMG]

Willard “Will” Barnes, Jr., but most people call him “Barnes,” Pablo’s father from his first wife (married many times) and CEO of B.A.S.P., the larger, crosstown rival to Ewing Chemical. His father was the governor of Michigan and best friends with John Ross Ewing “Junior” (Jock’s father). His second wife he “stole” from Jason and he has been in competition in business against Jock for decades (once worked at Ewing Chemical’s oil division where he got the nickname “Digger,” before striking out on his own and then getting into several mergers), based on Joseph Kennedy, played by John Goodman
    [​IMG]

Clifford “Cliff” Barnes, Will’s son from his third wife, being pushed into politics, closeted gay, based on Robert Kennedy, played by Blake Jenner
    [​IMG]

Jeremy” Wendell, CEO of DeNemours, a giant Canadian chemical company, a very large investor in the DMC (the Detroit Motor Corporation) and the lead influence in the Chemists Association of North America (a PAC taking the place of the Cartel), based on J. Paul Getty, played by Laurence Fishburne
    [​IMG]

Episode 1:

A television news broadcaster says, “The estate of John Ross Ewing the third was made public today, nearly a month after the death of the chemical industry scion. Known as Jock to his friends and family, he saved his family’s company from bankruptcy and went on to control one of the world’s largest business enterprises.

His father had created the Ewing Family Foundation with an endowment of sixty percent of the company. Jock took Ewing Chemical public and the foundation began to sell shares immediately, and so did Jock. He created the Great Lakes Investment Capital and Annuities company, known to the family as GLICA, a family office and investment company owned by trusts left to his three children, John Ross Ewing the forth, Garrison and Roberta, as well as his grandchildren.

Today GLICA owns just two percent of Ewing Chemical. The largest single shareholder is Jock’s brother, Jason Ewing, owning eight percent of Ewing Chemical, along with the Detroit professional soccer team, the Bears.

Insider information has said Jock left his parent’s home, Gaukler Point, to his wife Eleanor Ewing, who is the sole owner of her family’s farm, Haven Hill. It’s rumored Jock also left his half of the family hunting property, Skylands, in the Porcupine Mountain Club of the Upper Peninsula to his son John Ross.

Business leaders such as Will Barns, CEO of crosstown rival B.A.S.P. and Jeremy Wendell, CEO of Canadian rival DeNemours and the largest single shareholder in Detroit Motors, all have come out speaking words of admiration for the Jock Ewing and his success at running one of the world’s great chemical concerns.”

Leaving the farm John Ross drives a convertible with Sue Ellen next to him, the wind in their hair on a bright sunny day. They twist and turn through the winding country streets, racing down straightaways of a wide freeway and then through a small town and a neighborhood of mansions before turning down the driveway and through the gatehouse of Gaukler Point.

In the car Sue Ellen asks how he’s doing. With red eyes and a puffy face John Ross replies, “Hanging in there.”

Sue Ellen holds his hand. “It’s all we can do.”

“I just keep thinking, the way he died, alone, what it must have been like, taking his own life.”

“He did what he believed he had to do. He couldn’t face the consequences.”

“I know. But why couldn’t I have been there with him. Or why couldn’t we. We could have pushed through it and put his life back together.”

“We wouldn’t have gone through it. Just him. At best you’d have stood by him. Your father had a hard life, John Ross. He really did. Abandoned by his parents. Bullied. He fought from day one. He was tired of fighting.”

“I just don’t want the world to go on as if he never existed.”

“Believe me, it won’t. Nothing will ever be the same again.”

Cue to opening credits:

The Ewing’s:
    Ellie
    James
    John Ross
    Sue Ellen
    JR
    Bobby
    Paulo
    Lucy

The Enemies:
    Barnes
    Cliff
    Jeremey

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. Jabari Lamar

Jabari Lamar Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    First of all, you may want to google Stephen Collins. I really don't think you want to hire him for a lead in your new show.

As for the premise itself, it's an interesting concept, for a completely new show. With the change in location, family business, and names of the characters, this is as much a "Dallas reboot" as EMPIRE is.

At most, if you wanted to connect this to Dallas, you could maybe make this a loose Dallas spinoff. Let's say the original Lucas Bryant Ewing Sr. was Jock Ewing's uncle, who had an early falling-out with Jock's father, and split to make his fortune in Michigan, explaining why these two sides of the family never had any interaction over the years.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +841
    Medals:
    Thank you very much for the info.

I didn’t know that about Stephen Collins. Thank you. See the change above.

I see your point about Empire but I’m thinking of something much closer to Dallas following the death of Jock. I’m not thinking the will is as simple as it seems so far, but instead of the brothers fighting (Cane and Able) it will be uncle v. nephew (Hamlet) in the patriarchs set up. What little I’ve seen of Empire seems more of a cross between Dynasty and Dallas. In a reboot there’d also be oil under the farm that Lucas and Ellie really want it. So I think the idea would be to keep it closer to the original more like a reboot - instead of just a straight up copy.

I like the idea too of a spin off - maybe that’s what’s needed next in the Dallas universe and more connected where we could see people like Sue Ellen and Donna guest starring. Lots of ideas. I think it’s a shame that such a powerful brand - as seen by the world attention in the pilot of TNT’s continuation.

Thank you again so very much for your input.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  4. Jabari Lamar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    "Hey, I got an idea for a reboot of Dallas. Except my version will begin with Jock realizing that he's dying and trying to decide which of his three sons should he leave Ewing Oil to, and he sets them against each other to see who wants it the most. There's the oldest son, J.R., who believes that the company should rightfully be his because he's worked the hardest for it, and the youngest brother Bobby, who's been more of a playboy up to this point, but is inexplicably his father's favorite. And this time Gary will be part of the show from the start, he's the neglected middle son, and that's because he's gay. But I'm going to change the names of all of the characters, move the location from Texas to New York, and have the family business be a record company instead of an oil company. And I'm going to make them all Black."

See? The base is there. I know that it wasn't intended, they're just using traditional soap opera tropes (including family members fighting over wealth), but if the creators had said that this show began as a pitch for a reboot of Dallas but then along the way they decided to just develop it as an original property, I wouldn't doubt it.

But that's my point. Yes, when it comes to a reboot, there can be a fine line between staying true to the original and updating it in order to make it new. And, in my humble opinion, I believe that you've already crossed that line with what you're presented here. This "reads" more like a new property to me than a reboot of Dallas (especially starting with that fact that it doesn't take place in Texas, so it can't be called Dallas, at least Dynasty could theoretically take place anywhere). Thus I'd argue that it might be worth your while to continue along that route and just make it something entirely new.

Well, it's not like the idea of a Dallas spin-off isn't without precedent. And, unlike Dynasty, Dallas' reboot became a huge success in its own right. So who's to say that another one couldn't also work?

Another way to make this a spin-off, although it would require a few more tweaks to your pitch to make it work, is that this branch of the Ewings could be Jack's family. Say after he left Dallas in 87 with nothing, he wound up in Michigan, where he met and married a young woman and had a couple of kids (perhaps including a daughter he named Jamie, after his dead sister). Along the way he formed a chemical company with his brother-in-law, and struck it rich. Now he died, and his eldest son, Jack Ewing Jr. (or Jason Ewing II, after his father) is fighting to take control of the company against his uncle, his mother's brother, who doesn't think he has what it takes to run it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  5. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +841
    Medals:
    Oh I certainly saw that Empire is based off this set up with Dallas as well as the bitter x-wife of Dynasty and I’m sure that the two inspired the shower, just as Giant and Cat on a Hot Tim Roof inspired Dallas itself. And I should say I haven’t seen much of Empire nor very much of the Dynasty reboot. But calling this a reboot because it winks be much more loyal to the original plots and characters, starting with Jocks death, though it certainly shouldn’t be a copy. And I switch around names mostly to distance itself a bit more, giving it a bit more of its own feel. Yes one could probably sell it as it’s own show. Just as from what I’ve watched if the new Dynasty, with new names and a new song they could sell it as its own show - probably more a marketing stunt than anything I’m guessing. I’m guessing the line is more about marketing. Certainly they could have marketed TNT Dallas as a new show, other than a few original cast members and the song it didn’t feel like Dallas at all. What I’ve seen in Dynasty doesn’t feel like Dynasty at all either. So I do see your point, but again I’d say it’s in the marketing.

I’d agree - another spin off could be a marketing success as well considering the market is there. I’ve also always said I’d like a continuation but they don’t seem to get it right and I’m sure they’re now battle shy of trying once more. I do like your take of a spin off with Jack and his brother-in-law forming the company together. Jack did leave with some start up money so it’s certainly possible he could go into business with his brother in-law some place else, chemicals being related to oil and he’s off. Instead of Jack setting up a fight among his heirs (like his uncle Jock), his brother-in-law could begin the fight. It also certainly fits the ages of the characters.

I think it all comes down to marketing - and I think that marketing would need to be honest what ever they do. I don’t feel Dallas TNT was honest because what I saw was not Dallas, IMO. The bits I’ve seen of the new Dynasty do seem to be a reboot, but other than the title, names and a loose plot line connection, it isn’t a copy. The only difference in what I wrote as a change is I moved the names around (which could easily be moved back) and I had to change the title (again could easily be moved back if the setting is moved back as well) - those I will admit are significant. But I do get your point, it’s a fine line. I think it comes down to how they market it. In the case of a spin off though, I think they’d need a new song. Over all I do thing there’s an untapped market for this kind of family / business serial we saw in the ‘80s, if done well.

Again thank you very much for the reply. I’ve enjoyed the discussion and got a lot out of it. Thank you.

6. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +841
    Medals:
    Here’s an idea:

Miss Ellie becomes Jacquline “Jackie” Dianna nee Haven Ewing played by Phylicia Rashad

Jock becomes “Jack” Jay Ewing (originally played by Dack Rambo), but he has died, setting off the events to follow (instead of Bobby returning with Pam). With his little brother (unseen or mentioned in original Dallas), “Robert” James Ewing, Jack founds what becomes Ewing Chemical (Robert James McGregor had been an old friend of Jock and Jason’s, which they both named a son after). Jack was a legion in putting down his competition - knowny as “Black Jack” to his friends for his gambling and petrochemical investing. The character as patriarch is replaced by Robert, setting off a Hamlet scenario, played by Paul Reiser

JR becomes “Jason” Ross Ewing II, the oldest child (named after his grandfather), going from Gooper to Big Daddy (Cat on A Hot Tin Roof) and a bit more like Bobby, played by Jensen Ackles

Sue Ellen becomes “Audrey” Marie nee Bishop Ewing, setting up the Romeo and Juliet scenario, a bit of a cross between Sue Ellen, Pam and Donna, played by Julie Gonzalo

note: mentioned but missing middle child “Jamie” (named after Jack’s sister)

Lucy becomes “Marie” Anne Ewing (named after Audrey’s mother), but is Jack and Jackie’s daughter, played by Bella Thorne

note: farm foreman role in place of Ray

John Ross becomes Jason “Jay” Ross Ewing, III and is advanced in age to be just younger than Jamie, played by Shawn Mendez

Bobby becomes Eleanor “Ellie” Dianna Ewing (named after Jack’s aunt and Jackie’s mother), the youngest child, going from Brick to Gooper (Cat on A Hot Tin Roof) and a bit more like JR, played by Rose Byrne

Pam becomes “Miguel” Hidalgo, from a very wealthy Mexican family, played by Adan Canto

Digger becomes “Richard” William Bishop, Jr., Julia’s father and CEO of B.A.S.P. (the crosstown, very successful, rival chemical company), son of former Michigan Governor Richard “Rick” William Bishop, Sr., based on Joseph Kennedy, played by John Goodman

Cliff becomes Richard William “Will” Bishop III, Richard’s son pushed into politics, based on Robert Kennedy, played by Blake Jenner

Jeremy Wendell becomes “Eric” Bowers, CEO of DeNemours, a giant Canadian chemical company, a very large investor in DMC (the Detroit Motor Corporation) and the lead influence in the Chemists Association of North America (a PAC taking the place of the Cartel), based on J. Paul Getty, played by Laurence Fishburne

7. Jabari Lamar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    First, I should note the mistake in my last post where I said And, unlike Dynasty, Dallas' reboot became a huge success in its own right. I meant to write Dallas' SPINOFF became a huge success, obviously speaking of Knot's Landing.

I'm about to leave for work now, so I'll have to give further thoughts later.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Jabari Lamar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Okay, was able to think about this a bit during my work day today. First, I just want to concede that I'm simply giving my proverbial 2 cents here, just having a little fun stretching my creative muscles. This is your story, you're the writer here and have put countless hours into your various Dallas stories, so your dedication is clear. As I said in a previous thread, even when I disagree with your opinions on the original show, I still respect that you're a major Dallas fan (and no fans of any show are going to agree on everything about it). So you're of course free to ignore anything I say here.

IIRC Jack left Dallas with nothing. Remember, he got 10% of Ewing Oil, and then April came to town saying that she was entitled to half of his fortune, so he tried to get around that by "selling" his 10% of Ewing Oil to his sister Jamie for $1, who then married Cliff, but then they got divorced and she moved away and was killed in some kind of accident. April went to court and it was determined that Jack didn't have the right to sell his entire percentage of Ewing Oil, as she was entitled to half, so the court granted her 5% percent of Ewing Oil, with the other 5% going to Jamie's Estate, and since it was determined that her and Cliff's divorce hadn't been finalized at the time of her death, that meant her share went to Cliff. So Jack had nothing. I guess there the was the money, I forget how much it was, that Cliff gave him as a gift early on to try to entice him to sell his shares to him, but it didn't seem like he had much of that left by the time he left the show. Anyway, I figure his resentment over not only losing his sister, but his claim in Ewing Oil and having nothing left to show for it would explain his desire to just get away from that side of the family completely and put it all behind him, which explains why he never showed up again in the series, neither the original show, the movies, or TNT. So he went off and started his own new family and business, eventually building a fortune, making him more of a "self-made" man, like Jock was.

But, some of this would have to change some of your new characters, which is why I said it would need more tweaking, because the timeline would affect the ages. Now, Dack, and presumably Jack, was 46 when he left the show in 87 (and he'd be 78 when he died this year, which sounds about right), and had no children up til that point. So he would have met and married someone when he moved to Michigan and then finally started a family. Now, Phylicia Rashad is a great actress, and she actually played the matriach of a rich rival family to the Lyons on Empire, so she would be great in this role, but at 71` now, she would have been around 40 when Jack showed up in Michigan. And that may be a bit old for her to have started having a bunch of kids, at that time. I figure Jack's wife would have been much younger than him, like at least 30 (so she'd be early 60's now), when they'd married. So I would look for a younger actress than Rashad to play Jackie Ewing.

Plus, well, Rashad is Black. And it seems a little odd that you chose her but aren't picking any Black or biracial actors to play her and Jack's kids. While it's certainly possible for children of one Black and one White parent to come out looking completely White (such as with real-life examples like singer HALSEY and actor WENTWORTH MILLER), it's a little odd that all 4 would look White. So maybe it's better to just pick a White actress for that role? Or perhaps Phylicia could be Jack's 3rd wife, and therefor is the stepmother of his children on the show?

Likewise, you'd need a younger actor to play Jason II. Jensen Ackles is 41. I figure if you give Jack a couple of years to get settled in Michegan, meet and fall in love with a woman and then get married, his first child would have been born in 1990 at the earliest, so Jason Ewing II would be about 29 now. The younger siblings could remain the same, all also in their 20's. And Julie Gonzalo could remain playing Jason's wife, it's not a big deal that at 37 she's a little older than him. But Jason would now be too young to have a 20 year old son, so Shawn Mendes is out. Jason and Audrey could still have a son, Jason III, when the show begins, but at most he'd still a young boy, maybe around 5, when it starts.

And the last part is in regards to Jason's uncle Robert. I suggested making the uncle Jackie's brother, so he was Jack's brother-in-law. Say he provided the seed money for Jack's chemical business, on his sister's suggestion, and that's why he still has a stake in Ewing Chemical today, and doesn't think Jason is ready to take over the company. Thus the conflict between uncle and nephew. I figure that makes more sense than giving Jack some new brother that we never heard of before, it seems logical that he would have at least been mentioned sometime during Jamie and then Jack's introduction on Dallas, if he'd existed, and I know from skimming your other fanfiction stories here that you tend to want to stick with established canon.

Other than that, I think everything else works.

9. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +841
    Medals:
    Thank you very much for the feedback. I had trouble finding biracial actors I thought would work. I also made some name changes above to make it more of a reboot. See what you think.

I did look over the ages by mistake in my effort to create a family which looks more like a reboot than a spin off. I’ll have to give this some consideration and create another thread instead of addressing it here:

http://www.soapchat.net/threads/spin-off-2020.7271/

I’m also going to put a poll in the original series thread and see what I come up with. I’ll keep you posted:

http://www.soapchat.net/threads/dallas-2020.7266/

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  10. Jabari Lamar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Interesting. I voted for "Other."

I'd want a reboot, with some modernization but still keeping it clearly "Dallas."

Once again, just spitballing some ideas here:

I'd want to bring the show back on a pay cable channel, like HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc,, or possibly a streaming service like Netflix, where they aren't as beholden to weekly ratings, and can do short seasons (10-12 episodes) that have tight storylines. So yeah, like DallasTNT it would be more plot-heavy than the original, but ideally with the right mix of character moments.

The basic premise of the show is the same. Its focus is on the wealthy Ewing family, with storylines based on familial rivalries and business schemes. Or "boardrooms and bedrooms."

I'd begin with Jock and Miss Ellie, both in their 60's. Same general backgrounds, although modernized a bit. Jock met Digger Barnes in college and became close friends, after graduation Digger went back home to Texas and became a geologist for WestStar Oil, and convinced Jock to move to Texas and got him a job at the company too. Digger had a knack for finding oil, while Jock as a wiz at managing the wells. After a few years, the two decided to break out on their own, and form their own oil company, Petro Group Dallas. But when Jock had an affair with Digger's fiance Ellie Southworth, the two had a huge fight and went their separate ways. Jock bought out Digger's share in PDG and renamed it Ewing Oil, and immediately hit it big when a new well, which Digger found, came in. Jock was a billionaire overnight, earning 10 times more than what he paid Digger for his share, which just incensed Digger even more. Over the years, as Jock not only married and raised a family with Ellie, he built Ewing Oil into a major powerhouse in the oil industry, eventually diversifying and renaming it Ewing Energy. Meanwhile Digger's attempt at his own company, Barnes Oil, failed miserably, with him eventually selling that company to WestStar, and going back to work there. This Digger isn't an alcoholic, but he's definitely a bitter old man, who blames Jock for his lack of success in life.

As the show begins, Jock is still Chairman and President of Ewing Energy, but after a recent heart attack, Miss Ellie has been urging him to consider retiring and staying home to run Southfork with her (yes, they all still live on Southfork ranch, although the mansion should be bigger, with separate wings for the various couples living there). J.R. and Bobby are both co-Vice Presidents running the company with him.

J.R. is in his late-30's/early 40's, and is the same dastardly dude we all know and love. He's married to Sue Ellen, who is Hispanic (her background and how she met J.R. is still the same. Her mother basically groomed her from birth to be the type of woman who would find and marry a rich man, and she was a former Miss Texas USA). At the time the show starts, they already have their son, young John Ross Ewing III, a pre-teen. This version of J.R. and Sue Ellen are more equal partners, similar to the way Frank and Clair Underwood or Lucious and Cookie Lyon have been written, as she's just as conniving and power-hungry as he is. Both may step outside of their marriage occasionally, but they usually tell the other about it and don't mind, as long as those dalliances don't affect their public image in Dallas' High Society, and if it can help them gain more power. Such as J.R. sleeping with young oil heiress Holly Harwood, in order to try and con her out of her late father's company, or Sue Ellen sleeping with Texas Senator Sam Culver, in order to blackmail him to vote for certain bills that J.R. wants to be passed (or overturned). And this Sue Ellen is no alcoholic in the beginning, although her developing some kind of pill addiction later on is a possibility.

Bobby is in his late 20's/early 30's. A former playboy who changed his ways when he met and fell in love with Pamela Barnes, Digger's daughter. They're both also basically the same as their original characters. But as this show begins they've already been married for several years, but they've been facing some strains in their relationship recently, as they've been trying to have children to no avail. Medical tests reveal that the difficulty is most like due to Pam, which makes her feel guilty, and pulls away from Bobby, who becomes both resentful and frustrated. And this isn't helped by the recent reappearance in town of his childhood sweetheart Jenna Wade, who broke his heart years ago when she moved to Sweden to marry another man. But now she's back, divorced, and with her teenage son Christopher, whom Bobby starts to suspect might actually be his.

Lucy Ewing is half-Black. She's the daughter of the middle son Gary, the Black Sheep of the family, who knocked up some poor Black girl when he was in High School. Jock and Miss Ellie paid that girl and her parents off to get them out of the picture and took in Lucy to raise her on Southfork, since Gary was never responsible enough to handle it, and he ending up leaving Dallas. As the show begins, the family hasn't heard from Gary in years, the last they heard of him he was trying to start some real estate business in Los Angeles. Lucy is around 19, a typical spoiled rich socialite, but who has managed to become successful in her own right as an "influencer" and party hostess, plus her own burgeoning makeup and fashion lines, ala Kylie and Kendall Jenner.

Also at Southfork is Rae Krebbs, the trusted foreperson of the ranch. This version will never be revealed to be a Ewing, but is very close to the family. She's the daughter of an old friend of Miss Ellie's, and when her parents died, Miss Ellie brought her to Southfork and taught her the ways of ranching, which she loves. She's basically like the daughter Miss Ellie never had.

Cliff Barnes is Pam's older brother and is the Attorney General of Texas. Same background and motivations as the original, although much more formidable. This Cliff is not someone that J.R. would ever dismiss as dumb, he's a great legal mind and is laser-focused on achieving his lifelong goal of destroying the Ewings. I envision him like Paul Giamatti's character on BILLIONS. As the show begins, he's leading an investigation into Ewing Energy, focusing primarily on a recent deal J.R. brokered to get some Asian oil fields, as J.R. used questionable tactics to make that deal. This version of Cliff might also be married when the show starts, with a child or two of his own.

Jeremy Wendell is another character on the show Longtime CEO of WestStar, he was a junior V.P. when Dogger and Jock came to work there. He mentored them both and was very resentful when they left the company to go out on their own. While he eventually got Digger Back, he's always wanted to get his hands on Ewing Energy and make that part of WestStar too.

That's all I've got for now. I know I'd also drop some little "Easter eggs" and winks to the audience of the original show in there when I could. As well as subverting expectations. Even if it's just hints of things to come. Like in one of the first episodes, we show a meeting at Ewing Energy, where Bobby mentions how he just got back from San Angelo where he finally managed to close a deal with "old man Farlow" to buy his oil refineries. Someone gets mad at J.R. and says they wishes someone would shoot him, and J.R. cracks a joke about how "there's a long line of people in Dallas who would like to take a shot at me." Sue Ellen mentions that her sister Kristen is in town, and they've invited her to Southfork for dinner. When Kristen shows up, it turns out she's a nun.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +841
    Medals:
    I like it A LOT!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Jabari Lamar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Thanks, man. Coming from you, who's way more experienced in this sort of thing, that's a huge compliment.

13. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +841
    Medals:
    Thank you.

I would seriously love to see your show idea on Netflix.

14. Jabari Lamar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I really think that’s the best potential format for what I envision this show to be. In addition to not being as dependent on the whims of weekly ratings, I think having a shorter season is best for modern storytelling (if done right, of course), as the creators can craft a tight story arc for each one. Even looking at DallasTNT, I think the first 10-episode season was its best. Other shows like Empire and The Walking Dead also had some of their best season in the earliest days, when they were shorter. It’s just then the shows become big hits and so the networks get greedy and start ordering longer seasons, and that often leads to writers dragging plots out just to fill time. I’m particularly not fond of the “split season” trend which has become standard in recent years.

So this is why in my little pitch I tried to give most of the characters a status quo that could be used to carry them through the first season. So like the main story for season one would be J.R. vs Cliff. That’s the “boardrooms” part of the “boardrooms and bedrooms” premise of the show. We establish that this Asian oil wells deal is the biggest in Ewing Energy history, with this one deal J.R. has made the company and family even richer than ever (as per David Jacobs original pitch that J.R. is someone who’s made even more money than Jock ever did), and thus he’s riding high in the industry and internally in the family as this should clearly solidify his position as Jock’s true heir. But this could all become unraveled by Cliff’s investigation, if he uncovers the dirty tricks J.R. used to make the deal, which could end up shutting down the deal and bankrupting company but also put him, Jock, and Bobby in jail. Of course Jock and Bobby knew nothing of this, and they believe his assurances that Cliff’s investigation is pointless and that he can handle it, which is why J.R. has to figure out a way to block Cliff’s investigation before they find out. So his hands are full for season 1.

I’m not a businessman, so I’d want to hire some good writers who know something of the business world (or can do enough research about it), to write all of this in a suspenseful and intriguing story.

Meanwhile, the rest have their subplots, Jock and Miss Ellie dealing with Jock’s health issues, and Bobby and Pam’s marriage troubles, exacerbated by Bobby’s temptation to get back with Jenna. For Lucy, her plot is preparing to launch her new lingerie company, Valentine Lingerie, and she ends up meeting Mitch Cooper, a young Black medical student from a poor background. And although the attraction is immediate between them, it’s complicated due to Mitch’s viewpoint that she’s a bougie rich girl who’s turned her back on her Black heritage, leaving with her rich White family and mostly White friends, which annoys her at first, but then she can’t help but start feeling guilty about her privileged upbringing. I don’t really have a storyarc for Rae, but she’s meant to mostly just be a supporting character, for ranch scenes at Southfork. Although maybe I could eventually have her come out as a lesbian?

Of course, in the end at the season finale it all works out. J.R. manages to stymie Cliff’s investigation which is shut down without any indictments. Jock announces his plan to step down from actively running Ewing Energy, simply remaining as Chairman, and he and Miss Ellie prepare to take a world cruise, The Jenna/Bobby/Pam triangle comes to and end with Bobby recommitted to Pam, and the issue of Christopher’s parentage is resolved (I have several different ideas of how I could end that), and at Lucy’s debut fashion show, which is a major hit, she and Mitch finally admit and give into their feelings for each other. Everyone celebrates at the annual Ewing BBQ.

And then the epilogue, cut to the next morning, Miss Ellie wakes up in bed, turns over and tries to rouse Jock, but he's unresponsive. After a few gentle shakes she realizes, JOCK’S DEAD!!! She screams, freeze frame, The End.

Setting up the main storyarc for season 2: J.R. vs. Bobby for control of Ewing Energy…

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  15. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +841
    Medals:
    Looks fun to me.

16. Jabari Lamar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    It's a lot of fun to imagine, I must admit. Although I don't really have many actors that immediately spring to mind to envision in these roles like you do. Except maybe Josh Henderson and Julie Gonzalo as J.R. and Sue Ellen? That would probably be too confusing as this is a reboot instead of a continuation, but I really loved those two on DallasTNT, and would just love to bring them together onscreen again.

And maybe Zendaya for Lucy?

17. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +841
    Medals:
    I just search the internet for a look to be honest. I don’t actually watch that much tv any more (never network tv). Ever thought of creating dialogue? I’d be happy to advise with some business stuff - though I’m not in the oil industry Id be happy to give me 2 cents.

18. Jabari Lamar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Oh no, this is just a fun little way to pass the time now and then.

• Agree Agree x 1