Random things you hate

Discussion in 'Rant Room' started by Emelee, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Medals:
    I was always led to believe you should not bother/pet a service dog when he's working anyway. It supposedly interferes with their conditioning.

My mini-rant for the day....
    I am looking for a new car, and it frustrates me how the cars are all loaded down with 'technology' that I neither want nor need. Yes, cruise control and a good stereo are must-haves, but I do NOT need back-up cameras, lane-assist, a wi-fi hotspot, DVD players, some weird key fob that will crank the car automatically whenever I get near the car, etc. It jacks up the cost of a car I would otherwise consider buying. Friends say "Well, just turn off that stuff," but I object to having to buy the stuff in the first place. If it was all options, I could just not add them, but this stuff is all installed at the factory and I can't order the car without it. I'm becoming convinced that they simply no longer make "basic" cars without all these extras.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,155
    My father would agree with you. He is 82 and has just purchased a brand new Toyota Corolla. Keep in mind this is the basic model but he is still baffled by all the bells and whistles. I told him if I win the lottery I'm going to purchase him something special which offers self park assist - just to freak him out :)

3. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +904
    I watched an online review of "Superman IV: The Quest For Peace" where the reviewer repeatedly pronounces "Nuclear Man" as "nucular". I posted a comment that, given the context, I think the mispronunciation is fitting. Someone else has posted multiple screeds attempting to argue with me. Ridiculous.

4. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Medals:
    The mis-pronunciation of that word also bugs me. One thing that has grown to annoy me in the past few years, however, is how people not only mis-pronounce, but use words incorrectly, then try to argue that "language evolves" and that it's okay to ignore proper usage. The top offender: "literally".

If you "literally had a heart attack," then I hope someone called 911 and carted you off to the hospital. If you were merely shocked for some reason, you did not literally have a heart attack--you practically had one, maybe almost had one, or (preferably) you figuratively had a heart attack. "Literally" used incorrectly seems to occur almost exclusively among the younger generation online, where hyperbole is used for everyday discussion. Using "literally" in place of "figuratively," "metaphorically" or whatever makes the user sound stupid since it makes them appear that they missed 'vocabulary day' in English class, and gives their statements a very different slant among those who have no concept of over-stating facts like teens often do. In essence, it makes them sound illiterate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,446
    Medals:
    In the 2008 Get Smart movie reboot, James Caan plays a president who is an analog of George W. Bush. He repeatedly says "nucular", eventually causing a outburst of disgust from Alan Arkin's Chief of CONTROL.

6. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +634
    In one of my favorite movies, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Woody Allen and Mia Farrow's characters mock Alan Alda's character for saying, "nucular.":confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,155
    Seriously can rude people just stay at home, shop online and have their purchases delivered to their address rather than going out into the world and inflicting their nastiness onto others. Today I had to deal with a woman who thought it was appropriate to swear at a female team member behind the counter. Thankfully I was within ear-shot when this incident occurred. The customer was returning an item as unsuitable. No problem so far as the product had not been opened. The female team member simply asked for the receipt. Our receipts have a barcode printed on the bottom so when we scan this at the register it automatically brings up the original sale. So after the female team member asked for the receipt this was the customers response, "It's your fu$king job to find it!"

I heard it and immediately walked up and said to my team member it's time for your break I'll take over. I said to the lady to give me a moment while I ring the receipt department to extract the required paperwork. Little did she know I was phoning for security. As soon as they arrived I explained to them what the lady had said and could they extract her from my business. The poor dear looked puzzled because she had no idea I had heard the comment.

So I told her. "How dare you think you are in a position to walk into my place of business and speak to a another person in such a manner. Your custom is not welcomed here."

Her response? "I'll complain to head office." I said, "Go right ahead because the moment you walk out the door I'm sending an email to Head Office and explaining exactly what you said to a simply question from my team member." No refund. No exchange.

Security walked her out.

• Winner Winner x 5
  8. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +634
    You are awesome, @Rove! I'm going to remember this when I am in a comparable situation. I can't abide rudeness or abusing other people. It's so wrong. Well done!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Medals:
    I think that if managers/supervisors supported their employees in the manner you describe, retail work would not have such a bad reputation. If the employee(s) know that management 'has their back' as long as the employee follows established procedure, then they will do a much better job of taking care of the 90% of customers who are nice and respectful. Unfortunately most of the 10% (of which this lady seems to be a card-carrying member) know the "I'll call corporate" declaration often works...which is why they feel they can behave that way without any push-back. And if the managers know there will be more static than satisfaction if they put these people in their place, the whole situation snowballs: the employees will resent the managers for not sticking up for them, the managers will cave in to the b!tches and feel powerless in their own store, and corporate...well, sales will tank because the store employees are miserable and don't perform well, and the pinheads running the company can't figure out why morale is going down the toilet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,446
    Medals:
    What has happened to the Mass Market Paperback?

The traditional MMPB format is handy and compact but lately they have been getting bigger and bigger until some paperbacks are almost as bulky and unwieldy as the original hardcover or trade editions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,961
    Medals:
    When SoapChat is trying to force me into making a choice between two things I like equally as much.

Right now, how am I supposed to chooce between hairy chests and smooth chests?????? How?! I like chests both ways. It depends on the person. There is no way I can choose.

I'm going mental over this.

:bang:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,001
    Medals:
    I had the same dilemma last week with the Lilac vs. Violet question. Why does this have to be so hard. [​IMG]

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  13. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,446
    Medals:
    When someone puts their rubbish in my rubbish bin.

It's bad enough when the bin is still out on the street after collection, but now I'm finding it in the bin before I put it out.

That means that someone has had the temerity to come into my yard unobserved and walk all the way to where the bins are stored!

14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,155
    There is a third option....don't vote :D

15. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,961
    Medals:
    That's what I was forced to do. Which brings me to another random thing I hate: being forced not to vote because I cannot choose between the options. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +904
    Last year I had pneumonia in both lungs, I missed work for nearly the entire month of October. On my way home from work I stopped at Walgreens to pick up some things for my Mom. While I was there I decided to get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot. I filled out the necessary paperwork and they took my insurance information; I was told there would be no charge as my insurance covered both vaccinations. When the pharmacist called me over he asked me several questions which I already answered on their forms. He had both syringes ready on the counter but he refused to give me the pneumonia shot. When I asked why, he told me I didn't fit their criteria: I am too young and don't have any of the pre-existing conditions that Walgreens management thinks necessitates a pneumonia vaccine. I told him that I had severe pneumonia last year but he still refused saying "my store wold be penalized if I gave it to you". I spoke to the manager but she told me she didn't have the authority to make him give me the vaccine - I need to speak to the general manager tomorrow.

This is ridiculous. If my insurance covers it and I don't have any pre-existing conditions that would pose a risk I don't see why I can't get vaccinated. That I am not old enough or sick enough is a pretty stupid reason - especially in light of the fact that I previously had pneumonia!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,887
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Did you bite an onion or something after saying that, a la Alexis? You go Rove!