1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queen Elizabeth to get £6m pay rise from public funds

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ome, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,936
    The Queen is expected to receive a £6m "pay rise" from the taxpayer after the Crown Estate recorded a £24m increase in income.

Prince Charles, heir to the Queen, also got a 1.2 per cent pay increase to £20.7m, while cutting his tax bill by 5.1 per cent to £4.7m

The taxpayer-funded Sovereign Grant, which pays for costs such as royal household salaries, official travel and the upkeep of royal palaces, is expected to be £82.2m in 2018/19, up just over £6m.

Under the grant, the Queen receives a percentage of the Crown Estate profits for her official expenditure, which increased by £2m to almost £42m. Figures from the Crown Estate revealed a £24.7m increase in profits to £328.8m in 2016/17.

Royal aides said Queen Elizabeth II and her family provide "excellent value for money," but anti-monarchy republicans argue the true annual cost of the royals to taxpayers is hundreds of millions of pounds.

The Queen and the Royal Family's official travel cost the taxpayer £4.5 million during 2016/17, up £500,000, but a royal source has revealed the Queen keeps an eye on travel costs.

Not only does the Queen "sign off" all royal travel, the source suggested she comments to her family if the visit is too expensive. It said: "She might have a word in the ear of the principle".

The Royal Family have often been criticised for the amount spent on minor royals and travel expenses.

Meanwhile poverty continues to grow across Great Britain.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    The Queen's pay increase amounts to 8% at a time when Theresa May's Government is capping public sector pay increases to 1%. That means the firefighters who risked their lives to go into Grenfell Tower to rescue people trapped in there will get a smaller percentage pay increase than The Queen, the police officers who put themselves in danger to stop the terrorists responsible for the London Bridge attack will get a smaller pay increase than The Queen and the doctors and nurses that worked relentlessly through the night to save the lives of victims after the Manchester bombing will get a smaller pay increase than The Queen.

The Duke of Edinburgh spent £18,690 on a single trip to Devon to attend a dinner and Prince Charles and Camilla spent £154,000 on a trip to Italy, Romania and Austria.

The true cost of the Royal Family is way in excess of the £82 million given to The Queen through the Sovereign Grant: the estimated total annual cost of the monarchy is estimated to be around £345m, more than a third of a billion pounds. This higher figure is includes the cost of security, state buildings used by the Royal Family, cost of the Queen's Lord's Lieutenants (her personal representative in each county of the United Kingdom) and other assorted spending which is charged directly to the tax payer and doesn't come out of the Sovereign Grant.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,936
    Totally!

My wife is a civil servant and she hasn't had a pay increase for five years. My sister is with the NHS and it breaks her heart what she sees is happening there.

I find it completely depressing that we have men and women going into dangerous situations to save the lives of others and all they are faced with is cutbacks and close to nothing in terms of pay increases. It's ludicrous to think about the way we live in a world where heroes are not getting the recognition they deserve.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,613
    Mind-blowing!!! :(

Time for the royal family to consider turning down a pay increase??? :wink@

• Like Like x 3
  5. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    I was in the Civil Service for over 10 years until I was made redundant in David Cameron's cull of public services when he first came into office. I was paid a lot less than I could have got in the private sector but I had a good pension which went some way to compensate for the lower pay. After my redundancy, the Tory government changed the terms of the Civil Service pension so it pays out less and pays out later so it was a total slap in the face after all those years of putting up with lower pay, pay freezes and pay caps. However, every year the Royal Family always got a minimum of what inflation was and often considerably more. The Queen is basically a Civil Servant in that her salary is paid for by the public so she should be subject to the same pay freeze as everyone else.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    They never would. They are like parasites living off the backs of hard working people.

• Like Like x 4