PSM leaving Dynasty - real reason(s)?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by TJames03, Jul 13, 2018 at 5:58 AM.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +322
    OK, PSM said that she left Dynasty because she was losing control of her life due to the show's immense popularity and some health reasons......but is this the truth? Could it be that MAYBE she thought that she would be a breakout star and be a huge A-list celebrity away from the show? As we all know, her career went....well....nowhere after 1984.....and I mean.....nowhere.........(though she still refused to return when asked in Season 05).....

I remember that a long time ago I recall that she (allegedly) warned friend Susan Dey to be careful leaving "L.A. Law" thinking that she'd be a big star afterward because that didn't happen to her when she left Dynasty. Also, wasn't she willing to return for Season 09 if they were going to axe Emma Samms?

Hhhhmmmmmmm.......

2. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +363
    As far as I know, David Paulsen didn't get around to asking Pamela Sue Martin.

3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    I don't know. She married well so I don't think she was looking to make more money as a film star. In terms of TV, she was probably too closely identified with Fallon to be hired elsewhere, plus her role in seasons 3-4 was turning so mediocre, it was hard for other directors to see her as desirable. When she left I hated her as a fan, but now that I see where the show was headed then, I applaud her decision.

Was she? Weirdly, Samms ended up being the best recast of a role in DYNASTY (especially if you ignore THE COLBYS). Plus, Fallon in season 9 was written as Fallon in seasons 1&2--good in terms of returning to the character's roots, but also assuming zero growth through her experiences all these years. It would not be a challenge for PSM to play that exact same role again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,344
    I wouldn't say there was *zero* growth in S9 Fallon. She was a mother now, she had kids to spend time with (there was that one scene where she had taken LB to a skating rink, where Zorelli approached her on the ice and hurt himself; it was Fallon who patched him up, a very maternal thing to do, one she most likely learned in looking after her son). And she wasn't as worshipful of Blake (she was even willing to bed a cop who was trying to put Daddy in jail). Plus she had a much better relationship with Krystle, as well as Sammy Jo (at least, once both girls realized they were wasting their time fighting over *Jeff*).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    She wasn't worshipful of Blake in S1 either--she would bed all sorts of men he did not approve, from Michael to Cecil, and she knew he was a closed-minded sexist. But you are right that with Sammy Jo she did show signs of female friendship she had not shown before. It's just that the whole "I will choose the guy daddy warned me against" rubbed me off as too much teenage rebellion and backtracking.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    Concerning Pamela Sue Martin's return in season 9 versus keeping Emma Samms on, here is what producer David Paulsen told @James from London in a 2008 interview. Though the old SoapChat is gone, thankfully the interview lives on on the Ultimate Dallas website:

http://www.ultimatedallas.com/backstage/pauslen.html

David: When I first got the show and started screening the episodes to see who was popping off the screen and I saw Emma Samms, I thought to myself, she's a beautiful young woman, but she's stiff – with a British accent–I - in Denver? (James laughs) I couldn't buy that. And I'd heard that her predecessor, Pamela Sue . . .?

James: Pamela Sue Martin.

David: Pamela Sue Martin. I'd heard the audience loved her. And the audience did not like Emma. And so I started thinking, "What if?" And came up with an idea to bring Pamela Sue Martin back in a rather interesting way that would have shocked the audience.

James: Oh really?

David: But first I wanted to meet with Emma. I called her, she came into my office and I said, "My God, this a beautiful, charming young woman. Bright, intelligent, funny. But none of that's on the screen."

James: Yeah.

David: I asked her why. She said she didn't have anything to work with. And I thought she was right. I thought "If we can capture who Emma really is, then we have a character people will like." So I made some changes in her wardrobe, brought in a coach to get rid of her accent. And decided to give her a love interest who would kind of bring her character down to earth. What about a New York cop? So we created the character of Zorelli who came in to investigate the murder of Roger Grimes, which is how they met of course.

James: Yep.

David: And we created the love affair that began between the two of them. Distant at first, but it worked. You had this Noo Yawk detective comin' in dere (James chuckles) wit Emma Samms, and it brought her to a reality that the audience had not seen.

James: Yeah, totally.

David: It wasn't very long before she started getting some terrific fan mail. People were starting to love her.

James: It was a total transformation. It really was. But I have to ask you cos people will want to know, what was the idea of bringing Pamela Sue Martin back? What were you gonna do? How were you gonna do that?

David (laughs): Well, the previous year - you probably remember this better than I - there was a situation where I think Sammy Jo was after John James, but John James was in love with Fallon. Something like that?

James: I think the cliff-hanger was he'd proposed to Fallon to get married for the third time or whatever, but he was in bed with Sammy Jo - or the other way round, but it was something like that anyway!

David: Something like that. What I was gonna do was after the proposal, I was gonna have him go back to his apartment alone, his mind on Fallon and Sammy Jo. It was dark. He'd go in, exhausted, and he’d just sort of fall into bed without turning on a light. And somebody's already in bed. Thinking it’s SammyJo, he says, "Oh for godsake!" and turns on the light, and it's Pamela Sue Martin.

James: Oh brilliant!

(Both laugh)

David: I directed the last two shows and Emma was very prominent in them; I waited until she was finished – for the year – and told her the story! (Laughter) She was shocked! And I'm so glad I didn't replace her because, although it would have made for a great cliff-hanger for the year, Emma worked out superbly.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 9:47 AM
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +322
    Alexis joining the show pretty much negated Fallon. As you said, by Season 03 and 04, Season 01 and 02 Fallon was done. I guess it's best that PSM left so her Fallon didn't suffer so badly at the hands of the writers. I personally believe that PSM........might possibly thought that.......maybe she would have gotten some post-Dynasty roles, but that didn't happen. Kinda said, really.

8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,354
    Yes she was. Everything she did, good or bad (and with whom) had something to do with Blake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,115
    It may have been all of the above. PSM admitted much later in interviews that while she'd initially felt she and Fallon were totally different, she came to see their restlessness as quite similar.

Over the years, Martin talked about fatigue, hepatitis (she did look a bit puny in S4 and we commented on it at the time), having spent much of her adult life in studios, not knowing how to keep a character "fresh" year after year, the pressures of fame that come with an international mega-hit series, and the changes in the writing as well as the writing for her character.

I recall her quote that DYNASTY used to be a witty satire about the rich and famous but then metamorphosed into a lame celebration of the rich and famous (or words to that effect).

Which is exactly correct.

But it didn't have to. Really, it negated all the characters because the producers saw Alexis -- and the wardrobe -- as their cash cow and lost obvious interest in anything else. Even when actors later asked about their character's motivation, the brass had little to say.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 1:16 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  10. phil colby

phil colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +113
    In 1984 Pamela won a German Award(Bambi), and in the Interview she admitted to leave Dynasty because of starting a film carriere(Torchlight with Al Corley flopped totally) and she felt tired of playing the same caracter.

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,354
    Maybe PDV whispered something in PSM's ear…

upload_2018-7-14_1-52-41.png

Yeah, I think that's how it happened. He made her do it! ("just say....no, no more")

Oh the villainy!:a2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    It wasn't just "health reasons" - she was literally losing her hair which she's spoken up about. She was actually ill from stress.

I'm sure she had loads of money thrown at her to do The Colby's. It's telling that she didn't.

13. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +322
    Well, if she didn't want any more acting roles, she got her wish!

The show wasn't Shakespeare - I don't know how much stress could come from it...

14. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Oh yeah, i'm quite sure she got her hepatitis also from Dynastys all so bad scripts. :re:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    We're not talking about doing a movie for a few months... we're talking about working on a prime time series for most of the year, add that ABC wanted more episodes than the regular 22. There's a reason why seasons are getting shorter these days.

16. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,440
    Yes PSM was offered loads of money to do THE COLBY'S the fact she turned it down does say alot about her, PSM herself said her 60s/early 70s outlook clashed with the views of her very 80s series, DYNASTY along with DALLAS were the biggest shows on the planet, especially in 1983/84, and you could actually see the stress of the role getting to PSM in season 4, she's thinner, she actually looks ill for most of the season, plus her storylines weren't all that good for her lets be honest, so I can fully understand why she chose to leave.

As for PSM in THE COLBY'S I just don't see it, the Fallon on THE COLBY'S was so far removed from the Fallon of DYNASTY it's like watching two different characters, the only way I could see PSM in the role is if Fallon would be written as a much stronger character, funnily enough I do PSM and Maxwell Caulfield would have made a good looking couple.

17. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    Well, I am pretty sure that is not the definition of "worshipful." Unless you think Alexis was worshipful of Blake.

18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,354
    I don't see what that has to do with Fallon.

Fallon was not the rebel in the family, that was Steven.

19. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Torchlight was an enormous flop!!! They ran ads for it in rolling stone. It was supposed to be something that people went to see! It attracted nobody!! But why she didn’t return ASAP to dynasty when they wanted her is BIZARRE!!!

20. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,344
    She didn't want to go back. Considering what they put her through on the show, I don't blame her.

• Agree Agree x 1