1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pressure on Cummings to quit over lockdown breach

Discussion in 'UK & Rest of World Politics' started by Mel O'Drama, May 23, 2020.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,507
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,066
    These Tories think there should one rule for them and another for us plebs. They sickened me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    A lot of questions that are asked are getting shutdown. Just watching Matt Hancock hit his button to shut up the journalist proves yet again who is in charge and who gets to decide what questions they will answer. Then we get Jenrick announcing that they will not review the fines because anyone can move across the country to seek childcare. But that's now, now we have eased the lockdown. That rule did not apply when Cummings did it.

I wish a couple more questions were asked, and if they have been, I haven't seen them.

Why would anyone in the right frame of mind drive 60 miles (round trip) to test their eyesight? Is that not completely irresponsible?

Why would anyone attempt a 260-mile drive if they were feeling unwell? I'm asking about his journey home where he told reporters that he was too ill to remember if he stopped for petrol.

What is the difference with someone driving under the influence versus someone driving with poor eyesight or possible with symptoms of a new deadly disease?

Why is no one asking these questions?

There is one thing that I am truly thankful for, this has further exposed our government and shown how Johnson will do so much to protect his friend over protecting the country. That's without mentioning his lack of protection towards the care homes.

As with everything from them, it's all too little and too late!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,507
    Absolutely.

This - along with the unanswered questions - seems to be the main basis for Douglas Ross quitting.

Yes. Nothing's going to come of it. There will be no inquiry. Nothing will change.

And we're expected to "move on" from it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,066
    Because he's lying. The drive to Barnard Castle appears to be a birthday treat for his wife and the ludicrous story about testing his eyesight was just to cover up his rule breaking. His wife can drive so she could have driven them home if Cummings' eyesight was "a bit weird".
    More lies. They thought isolating in the expansive surroundings of his parents estate would be more pleasant than being confined to their smaller London home. They viewed it as an opportunity for a holiday break rather than a public health issue.
    Obviously, both are equally dangerous not just for the passengers in his car but also for other road users. Can you imagine the uproar had he said he had a few drinks earlier and wanted to check if he was still fit to drive back to London so went on a test drive to Barnham Castle? Everything about his journey was about his selfishness and no regard whatsoever for other people. I'd also add the question, if the journey to Durham was about ensuring the care and well being of his son, why strap the child in the back seat of a car and drive around when Cummings' eyesight was "a bit weird"? Why couldn't his wife stay at on the parents' estate with their son while he went out to risk the lives of other road users? Because it was her birthday and Cummings wanted to do something different to mark the day.
    Because most of the media have a right wing bias and are generally sycophantic towards anything Tory.

Another question that should have been asked was why after going home to his wife after she called saying she had symptoms did Cummings return to Downing Street potentially carrying the Covid-19 virus with him?

6. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    I have absolutely no doubt that it's all lies, I should have mentioned that in my post. My point was (even though it's a lie) why has no one asked the questions about the irresponsible way he acted? In other words, he used two very weak answers to the big questions and it seems no one bothered to try and catch him out by asking those questions.

Yes, but there are plenty still left in the media asking these awkward (and brilliant) questions, I just wish one of them had questioned the safety of his family and other road users when he used the excuse behind the reason for all the travelling.

Yvette Cooper was fantastic with him yesterday

• Agree Agree x 1