1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EastEnders Phil Mitchell

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by soapfan, Apr 15, 2017.

1. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Who else liked him? I've been watching old episodes of EastEnders from the 90s, he certainly was a black and white character, like most "Hardmen" that have come along since Dan Sullivan, Sean Slater and Derek Branning, the way he was written, he was an extremely human character, relatable almost a next door neighbour type of person, then most of the characters in EastEnders were written in this way during this era.

I thought Steve McFadden played Phil brilliantly, but in a way I'm kind of disappointed that he wasn't around in 1988 when he first joined the acting profession aka the Den & Angie heyday of 1985-1988 (Ross Kemp would have been available in 1988 too after leaving Emmerdale in 1987), then we may have had Phil/Angie flirting and getting drunk for fun, even more drastically Wilmott-Brown would have got beaten up by Phil & Grant during 1988-89 for raping Kathy with Den enlisting Phil & Grant's help.

I was mixed about Phil's 2005 return, I've hated how Phil has become a disgrace since 2000+, much worse than Grant in the 1990s, and how beat up Jamie and bullied Juley into sleeping with Ruby to get at Johnny. However it did prove something to me, that he was more disturbed than Grant's army nightmares where Phil was the more volatile Mitchell brother hence beating up Jamie, a terrible father and an alcoholic, who not only was able to get physical with Den Watts but managed to remove him from the top dog position by biding his time until Den got out of his depth after trouble he caused with his wives, adoptive daughter and Zoe.

Having said that, I think Steve McFadden deserves better than EastEnders, he's a brilliant actor, but Phil has been ruined after Grant's departure in 1999. I'm surprised that McFadden doesn't just quit the show or some present or future EastEnders Executive Producer putting Phil out of his misery and killing the character for good as he's worn out and will be 60 by 2019/2021, so it would be unrealistic for Phil to continue over 60 as he currently is.

If the BBC were to revive Eldorado during the 2020s-2035, Steve McFadden would be great, but he'd need to miles away from Phil though and playing a different character. In his spare time, McFadden does pantomime/captain hook performances.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,809
    Medals:
    EastEnders, for me, has always worked better when the hardmen use their intellect and are neither good nor bad, yet they use their physicality only when needed.

Den Watts (1985-89 era) and David Wicks are the only two hardmen of Walford to have belonged to this category, because of this
    They have longevity, they can dip in and out of Walford every few years to ruffle a few feathers, yet Den and David had very human qualities and frailties that made them relatable.

After Grant's departure in the late 90s or early 00s, the writers should've taken Phil down this route, as Phil was in many ways the reluctant Hardman, and was able to use his intellect rather than his physicality, Grant was the live wire physical, brawny one.

However the loss of Ross Kemp I think scares the writers so they ultimately transferred all of Grants self destructive, brawny behaviour onto the only remaining Mitchell brother at the time.

Grant realised his behaviour was what drove Sharon across the Atlantic and caused the death of Tiffany and sought help for this, it never made sense for Phil to take on these traits since he had to save Grant from his own destructiveness on many occasions.

I believe the writers have ruined Phil's character progressively since the early 00s.

3. soapfan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I agree, it's time to axe Phil. (See my separate thread)

I would love for this similar scene to happen with Phil dying on his deathbed:-

Grant: You've done some pretty stupid things in your time

Phil: Is this going to take long?

Grant: I've always stood by you

Phil: Well that's what brothers are for

Grant: But some of them are stupid and some of them was out of order, but i've always stood by you because basically I knew you were a decent man

Phil: Are you going to get to the point?

Grant: Yeah - Yeah i'll get to the point! Now there things you've been doing to Sharon - they're not the things a decent man would do. You've been selfish, you've been cruel and you make me ashamed to be your brother

Phil: You knew what she did say to me and you can still say all those things

Grant: But you don't go off someone's foot because they stood on your toes

Phil: Yeah well i'll sort it out with Sharon

Grant: Yeah, until the next time

Phil: What do you mean by that?

Grant: I mean maybe she'd be better off without you, maybe you shouldn't remain together at all because I don't think you're man enough for this marriage

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,809
    Medals:
    Den and Grant not meeting is a missed opportunity, sure Den met and defeated Phil, but Den would probably have gone ape s**t over how Grant treated his princess aka Sharon.

But this was the thing about Den's return in 2003, it was a missed opportunity, they turned his fatherly love for Sharon into something dark and sinister and Leslie Grantham always feared the writers would go down this route with his character and they kinda did,
    Also they forgot how much he cared about the community of Albert Square deep down, despite his sarcastic exterior, he was an anti hero, something which both Phil and Grant lack.

I know Leslie Grantham burned all his bridges with EastEnders following his 2004 scandal, so I guess it would've been impossible for him to have remained, but take that away and return Den to his 80s persona then Den would've had longevity

I'm kinda glad Max Branning is the brainy Hardman and not going down the Phil Mitchell route, there are times when he was an anti hero so he would fit right in with Den and David Wicks

5. soapfan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I think Dan and Den not meeting is a missed opportunity, Craig Fairbrass would have been available during the 1980s, he appeared in an episode of Tucker's Luck. Sure Dan met and outmuscled Phil in 2000, but Dan and Den would probably have built a rapport over their hatred of James Wilmott-Brown and Eddie Royle, and how Phil treated Den's friend Kathy during Phil's alcoholism.

But this was the thing about Dan not being around in the 1980s, it was a missed opportunity, they turned Phil into an alcoholic and endangering his son and daughter, and Craig Fairbrass was only in EastEnders during 1999-2001 and not developed more as a character. I've always wondered if he'd be interested in returning during 2020-2035 as Dan and coming face to face with Sonia again after the history with Bianca in 1999.

Also they forgot how much he cared about the community of Albert Square deep down, how he helped Roy Evans when a gang of unruly teenagers where having a house party that was hosted by Janine. Despite Phil's alcoholism and Dan's physical presence, they weren't perverts sleeping with young girls, something which Den was.

I know Steve McFadden was caught dogging in 2005, but there was a double standard there when comparing it to what Leslie Grantham did in his 2004 scandal, and I think there is real life bitching that goes on behind the scenes too, but take that away and return Phil to his 90s persona then Phil would've been more tolerable.

I'm kinda glad Derek Branning was recast by Jamie Foreman as a hardman with a hatred of David Wicks, and maybe going down the Grant Mitchell route, there are times when he was a good family man, so he would fit right in with Phil Mitchell and Dan Sullivan.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1