1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peyton Place Peyton Place - some sort of general thoughts thread

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by tommie, Jun 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    So, I've finally settled for a nice daily schedule of watching Peyton Place and Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. I've now reached the 24th episode with the thrilling ending of Leslie Harrington's will about to be read.

Just some thoughts...
    - Betty is a wonderful multi-layered character - she's not about to accept money as it's not what she wants; she wants the respectability of what being Mrs Harrington brings. I like that her relationship with Rodney isn't just hateful and the moment when she offered to leave for the will reading was nice.

- If Betty is complex and is probably closer to what a real human being actually is, then Allison is probably who our parents wishes we were. Holy annoying saccharine.

- ... speaking of which, her real father is totally that convicted murderer that Connie's fretting about possibly getting out of prison.

- Poor Dr Rossi - surely Dr Morton set him up and falsified that autopsy of Leslie?

Also, they keep playing up Norman as, ho-hum, a bit "special" compared to Rod and I'm not sure if that's intentional by the show and it's just them trying to hammer in that he's younger than Rodney (and more naive). It just comes across as he's.... a bit "touched" as they would say back in the day.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    Ok on episode 26 now and the narrator pretty much said that "Elliot Carson" was going to change the lives of Connie and Allison forever - he is SO the real father, isn't he? I hope he's actually guilty of the murder of his wife as it would be a nice twist, but I'm not sure if Peyton Place is a show that could pull off such an un-twisted twist.

Meanwhile, Virginal Whore Allison is busy seducing Rodney. Poor Betty! I hope they wrote Betty chopping off Mia Farrow's hair into the show.

George is such an asshole. I hope he DIES.................

We're both suffering from... PEYTON PLACE! - ok George.

The plot around Catherine Harrington's death (who I keep mentioning as Leslie - damn you gender-neutral names!) thickens and I'm sure Dr Rossi will be vindicated.

Cliffhanger: Coroner makes a suspicious call to Dr Morton and then Laura Brooks. Dun dun dun DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN.

Can't wait until tomorrow and I'm resisting my urge to binge!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,420
    Medals:
    Oh she was great, I wish she had have stuck around. She reminded me of Fenella Fielding in Carry On Screaming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    Well, the scene where George attacked Julie (again) was uncomfortable. I was glad when she knocked him out with the phone.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    So, Dr Bradley who did the autopsy of Catherine Harrington admitted to Dr Morton that he lied because he saved his career a few years ago and apparently Dr Morton had nothing to do with it. I guess they didn't want a main character to be complicit in the plot in the cover up and this is what they went with. Of course, we don't know what Dr Morton is going to do next as he was about to convince the board to permanently suspend Dr Rossi.

It's also weird to see how casual a lot of characters are with George being a wifebeater.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    Doing a bit of a double episode of 29-30 since I refuse to go out in weather above 25°C unless I have to...

So, the Dr Rossi part of Catherine Harrington's death seems to have been resolved with Dr Morton ultimately deciding to be honest, reinstate him and issue an apology. At least there seems to be a temporary truce between them. However, the will seems to still be going on with oh-so-sweet Norman overhearing about Leslie's plans to have Dr Morton say that she wasn't in her right mind when she made that part about him not being a partner in the Harrington Milling Industry.

As the part of Dr Rossi's involvement in Catherine's death is solved, the storyline that's been wisely bubbling in the background about Elliot Carson's parole is finally brought to the forefront, leaving Connie constantly doing dramatic head turns and dramatically grabbing onto things.

George and Julie are finally dunzo - or so she claims. I wonder if this is the first time football accidents/injuries having a major impact on a character in television? Not that it makes me feel any more of a sympathy towards George, but it's at least been a thing in a recent murder trial...

I will say that I find Allison and Norman sweet, surprisingly enough. It's a bit on the saccharine side of things, but I buy it more than her and Rodney.

7. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    So, this week we've entered 1965 and it's snowy all over Peyton Place. Elliot Carson comes back to Peyton Place after being in prison for 18 years for murder of his wife Elizabeth. George, having a Richard Avery-esque breakdown, locks himself in his office with a gun. Elliot of course defuses the situation and establishes himself as a Good Guy to the viewers and George is finally sent away to an institution and joins Betty in off screen-landia, though I'm pretty sure she'll be back. As the week goes on we find out that Leslie Harrington had an interest in Elizabeth Carson and that she was potentially a very bad person (though they never get into why).

Elliot also learns that all residents doesn't exactly deem him a good guy and that even his father seems to think he was guilty during all those years... uh oh.

8. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,420
    Medals:
    Was she off making Valley Of The Dolls at this point?

9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,809
    Medals:
    Didn't she share a flat with another girl? It could have been a mini-Valley Of The Dolls within Peyton Place. Working for Models Inc run by Joan Crawford.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    The book was published in 1966 and the film released in 1967, so no. I think it's purely storyline reasons she's absent at this point in time, I can only assume they're setting up Rodney / Allison again (poor Norman!) before she makes her triumphant comeback.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    Just as I started wondering where Betty was she turns up in episode 36 - things aren't going that well for her in New York and she's struggling to get a job. She meets a mysterious (?) girl who comforts her after a rough meeting at the unemployment agency - if this was a few decades later I'd definitively think this girl was going to get her into prostitution, a cult or at least into MLM (which is the worst of the aforementioned options when you think about it), but I doubt Peyton Place will go that far.

Laura Harrington leaves Peyton Place, but not before giving Norman, Rodney and her brother Leslie some drunken advice.

Meanwhile, Elliot Carson continues his quest to prove he's innocence and as Laura leaves we're introduced to Rita the Barmaid and probable town gossip who does exposition work that Elizabeth was kind of the town skank and slept with all the men in Peyton Place apparently. Well, ladeedaa - what was a girl supposed to do when her husband was away at war? I'm liking Elizabeth already, hope she does a shocking return from the dead. We also find out that a "kid" was the one who sent Elliot away at trial, supposedly witnessing him murdering his wife, while Elliot claims he walked in and saw Elizabeth's body while a man escaped (Leslie?).
    Also, yadda-yadda both Elliot and Allison loooooooooooooooves books and the library - what a coincidence!!11

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,420
    Medals:
    Further.

13. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    She's going to introduce her to selling tupperware?! Oh, the humanity!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,809
    Medals:
    I love them for loving books.

15. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    LOL, so that mysterious girl who Betty met outside the job agency really is shady - I was honestly joking! It appears that she's some form of sugar baby and Betty moves in quickly. I did like how they built up in the beginning of episode 37 that something was going to happen that was going to change the lives of Peyton Place residents for months to come and it turns out it's Betty's mom missing her phone call to go out to dinner with Leslie Harrington. I guess we're starting to see the ripples of it with Betty potentially turning into a sugar baby / professional working girl.

Geez, no one except Elizabeth's father really liked her did they? Even her little brother, who witnessed against Elliot has started shit-talking her and that he knows "how she was", basically justifying Elliot potentially murdering his sister!!! Come on now...

16. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    Oh boy, Betty's new sugarbaby roommate sets her up with an older man who almost rapes her since she made the mistake of inviting him to her apartment and then stops when she finally breaks free and starts sobbing. They then have an odd heart-to-heart talk where he urges her to go back to Peyton Place and even gives her money to do so.

Also, everyone keeps trash-talking poor dead Elizabeth and it's implicated that she only turned out the way she did (ie the town tramp) because of her father's conservative ways - he didn't even let her wear make-up! Damn, why didn't he just let Elizabeth be great? She's dead, but she's possibly my favourite character.

17. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    I just had to pause for a moment because this is one of the ugliest "paintings" I've seen, but of course Allison loves it!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    Ok, Allison is growing on me a bit for explaining to Rodney what glögg is in episode 52.

19. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    Ok I promised myself not to bingewatch this, but I've gotten into such an exciting run of episodes I can't stop myself - Elliot just lured over Leslie to the beach house with the offer that he gets Elizabeth's diary if he comes there. (episode 54)

20. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    Claire Morton is arriving in Peyton Place and she's already being built up as a proper rival to Betty! Unlike boring virginal Allison I think she actually seems pretty exciting.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1