PAPER DOLLS ALL ON YOUTUBE

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Alexis, Jan 19, 2017.

1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    His Lancasterian accent sounded very out of place in PAPER DOLLS. He actually reminded me most of Mavis from Coronation Street.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Do you mean he should have "played" the American version of John Waite, because it's unusual that American kids would idolize a British rock artist, especially since he wasn't the biggest name in the industry?
    Taryn did mention Boy George, though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    Well, he had that thing that non-actors often have when they appear as themselves as soaps. It's like they're told - "You don't have to act - just be yourself." But because they're in an artificial situation (talking to fictional people, saying fictional things), they can't really be themselves and because they don't know how to be anyone else either, they just kind of ... disappear.

I mean, if he'd been able to act or he looked more like a conventional love interest then maybe the accent wouldn't have seemed quite so strange, but the combination just made him seem really incongruous.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    However, Apollonia played herself, so that made her a semi-fictional character.

I'll think about that accent later. The Babys/not Babys thing was enough confusion for one day.

• Like Like x 2
  5. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    Did she? Or did she just play a singer who had the same first name? A bit like as if Ciji had been called Lisa.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    I think you're right as there was no mention of an Apollonia related to Prince or Apollonia 6 - and then somehow ended up on Falcon Crest.

It was more like when Jan Harvey played Jan Howard on Howards' Way...no wait, that was different too.

• Like Like x 2
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,919
    Medals:
    I remember when I watched this originally and my first reaction was "too many characters" and that still stands. I can't get into the pilot and early episodes despite liking the show overall. They tried too much too soon.

8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    There's a fairy tale theme going on in the sixth episode.

Every time Laurie Caswell and her co-model Christopher York are having "a moment", he does a Cinderella Man, and vanishes in a puff of smoke before things getting too interesting - leaving poor Laurie bewitched and bewildered.

I'm slowly warming up to Mother Caswell, maybe because her storyline reminds of Maggie Gioberti, who was also trying to resist the temptations of the Place Where Everything Happens when she was going to write a movie script, and a man who was so very "interested in her work".
    upload_2017-2-5_21-45-36.png
    Is the exciting life of the High Fashion and advertisement industry going to destroy the Suburban Dream? Racine and Wesley wouldn't mind to push her into the "right" direction, I'm sure of that.

Taryn argues with her Wicked Mother over some gifts she's received from the singer with the Lancasterian accent, and it's getting even more emotional when Taryn accuses her mother of keeping her away from everything and everyone, and that all she let her do is work. They make a bargain ("you're probably seeing that Caswell girl behind my back anyway" bitches Vaccaro) and at least that's more than Cinderella can say.

Blair receives a baby-gift from an unknown person, though not so very unknown to us.
    Despite the predictability of the scene, I was pleasantly surprised to see the horrific "gift".
    upload_2017-2-5_23-15-28.png

It's clear to me now that Grant and Marjorie Harper are the weakest link in this story. Lloyd Bridges should learn not to put the phone down before he's finished his line, it looks amateurish, and I believe Barbara Stanwyck did the same on The Colbys. One would expect a little better from these professionals.
    Nancy Olson's performance as Marjorie (a tame clone of the Dallas matriarch) is simply below par. I'm not looking for things to dislike, but this is hard to ignore.

upload_2017-2-5_22-20-40.png
    Reporter Mark Bailey is enchanted by Racine, who looks like a glamorous mermaid in a lilac lagoon.
    He offers the idea to visit Texas (where she comes from) wondering if there'll be something that will unravel the mystery that is the woman who's named after a French poet. (and not, as the cook from the grill restaurant assumed, "as in, Racine, Wisconsin?")
    Racine informs him that this hypothetical idea will prove futile, as there's nothing and no-one in Texas that remembers her, but her facial expression suggests otherwise.
    A-ha!:)
    Most conveniently, the tone of the conversation becomes more intimate, and Racine takes Mark by the hand and shows him the way to her bedroom.
    Call me old-fashioned, or even sexist, but there's something about a woman who literally leads the man - it's not quite the same as a kiss, or rubbing her body against his. That's more like seduction.
    In this scene, she is the Alpha Woman.

Blair is being kidnapped after her little trip to the stables (alone, when the whole point of her stay at her parents' house was to not let her out of their sight and get her out of the country a.s.a.p.) and after she's been taken away by Parnell's henchmen, all there's left is a very expensive fur coat, made of beautiful animals who couldn't defend themselves, lying on the dirty floor. I'm tempted to say there's some poetic justice in it.

David receives a phone call from Parnell, and tells his parents-in-law that Blair has been kidnapped. This scene feels very redundant, and personally I would have preferred a freeze-frame of the coat.

• Like Like x 1
  9. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    Ha, yes! One could almost imagine Morgan Fairchild existing underwater. Or playing Marina in a live-action version of Stingray.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Medals:
    It is out there. I had it but the disc got damaged. It used to be listed on ioffer with the Paper Dolls tv series sets.

• Like Like x 1
  11. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    That's how I got to see it. I enjoyed the movie, but it's kind of been eclipsed in my memory by the TV series. I do remember that it was ever so slightly "edgier" than the series in that one of the models was on drugs and there were a couple of camp hairdressers. And I was very impressed that Kevin Bacon was in it until I realised he was actually Matt Cantrell from Dallas.

12. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,627
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    I don't think so.
    upload_2017-2-7_23-37-53.png
    But maybe they were twins? Soap is a tough business!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Something came up, hence the delay.
    Episode 7 & 8 & 9.

So, Blair Fenton-Harper has been kidnapped by Parnell (just Parnell, but in this case only the surname - very typical for these one-plot-only villains).
    They are waiting for instructions and no-one should be alarmed and yet somehow Julia Blake (of all people) finds out about it.
    I thought the situation would spiral out of control, especially because of Julia Blake, but that didn't happen.

The side effect of this story is that Grant Harper goes to Miami to ask a person - unknown to me - to solve the matter, apparently as a special favour.
    This seems to be last-resort decision, rather than a preference, so I assume they're going to do the "it takes a crook to catch a crook" routine, with strings attached, no doubt.
    And it worked, Blair came home, lost the baby, did the will-she-die-or-not episode, and now she plans to pick up her modelling career.
    Parnell is found dead, and Wesley questions his father about his connection in Miami.

In the meantime, Sarah Frank and Mark Bailey split up, because of his affair with Racine, and I found it a surprisingly bitter ending.
    They haven't been given much screentime together, so it didn't feel like the end of a Great Romance, but that's how it played out anyway.

Racine continues to juggle all her clients, everyone's "best interest" and her position behind the HWW take-over.
    I finally discovered (for myself) what other soap character she resembles the most, in terms of actions and behaviour: Greg Sumner.
    She even talks like him, stretching out every word.
    I could do without the non-stop "darling, darling, darling" because it sounds like she's always talking to a Best Gay Friend.

Production-wise I think the show looks very good, especially the modelling/music video/commercial scenes.
    upload_2017-2-13_1-19-26.png

Laurie Caswell receives more love letters from her crazy fan but doesn't tell her parents about it because they are already somewhat indecisive about her career.
    Turns out that this Laurie-fan is not an off-screen stranger, but one of the models she has worked with, which means trouble is near.

Paper Dolls takes its industry very serious, and in order to get this point across, we see Chris York as the model-who-can't-model (like, a singer who can't sing).
    Now I'm sure that modelling is more than just standing there having your picture taken, but this was done in such an obvious way that I can't descripe the scene other than camp. Yes, this was definitely unintentional pure camp.

upload_2017-2-13_2-18-47.png
    "Go for it, Chris! Yeah, come on, you can do it. Loosen up, you're too stiff. Go for it, go for it"
    I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair.
    But then Racine enters the scene, throws an insult to Chris, and - hocus pocus, simsalabim! - he's been transformed to Super Model.

upload_2017-2-13_1-35-55.png
    "Wow, look at that face! The Chris York Look!"

Episode 9 (almost) ends with a major character-goof.
    upload_2017-2-13_1-42-7.png
    In episode 4, when Mark Bailey took Racine into town, she was appalled at the idea of using a taxi (transport for the suburbanites).

But it really ends with the mysterious appearance of a missing European Cosmetics Empire heiress.
    upload_2017-2-13_1-46-6.png
    It's Lauren Hutton! Perfectly typecast for this role.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Episode 10 & 11

I see that my assumption was a little premature. When I saw the stalker for the first time (in his stalker's room), I really thought he was this guy from the Expectations commercial:
    upload_2017-2-19_3-37-2.png
    But since The Stalker looks like a model and the model looks like a stranger they may as well be the same.
    The Stalker is now on the bus to Paper Dolls and trouble is near. See? No difference whatsoever.

Colette wants to sell the Ferrier Company to Grant Harper but there are a few conditions, nothing outrageous, yet it's exactly those very conditions that makes it a troublesome negotiation.
    She wants to have her cosmetics manufactured in America, but America has run out of manufacturing space. I didn't think that was possible.

Colette is a very elegant woman, she drapes a knitted scarf or sweater over her shoulder and around her arm as if it were a stole.
    upload_2017-2-19_4-8-19.png
    A new background storyline (Wesley and Colette were lovers, in Europe) results in a passionate kiss and a slap in the face, a business rivalry and a peculiar bonding between Colette and Racine. Racine is obviously faking, I'm not sure about Colette, maybe she's too passionate and naive to openly pretend friendliness.
    It looked like one of those infamous Anne Matheson/Claudia Whitaker conversations - but at least there were no annoying thought-bubbles.

I don't know what Wesley is going to do with HWW if and when he manages to dethrone his father. He's only interested in his own cosmetics company, and treats the umbrella company as the enemy.

It is very clear what Julia Blake wants.
    What's bad for the Caswells is good for Taryn, what's good for Taryn is good for Julia.
    Brenda Vaccaro hams it up like there's no tomorrow but as a Paper Dolls antagonist she is so much more fun than Wesley.

Mark Bailey's coverstory is going to be filmed, and the scriptwriter is....Mark Bailey!
    For a moment it really looked as if Racine was in trouble, but I think it's heading towards a power struggle with a strong sensual undertone.

Fashion reviewer Grayson Carr likes to beat up on redhead models and Wesley & Racine decide to use this information to blackmail him into writing a devastating review for David Fenton's new fashion line, and that will prove Grant Harper's incompetence as CEO of HWW because it was his decision to incorporate Tampas Fashion (is it "Tampas"? it sounds like they're saying Tampas).
    They hire Jamie Rose in order to catch him red-handed and as hoped he's becoming violent, there's an accident (Jamie Rose pretends to hit her head and die), Grayson flees the scene and calls Wesley for help.
    I thought, here comes the unexpected twist: she really died! But there was no unexpected twist. Outfoxed again.

Sometimes I like to watch background actors playing the background characters, who are supposed to be completely unaware of and unaffected by what's going in the foreground.
    It's usually something like drinking or nodding their heads to show agreement in response to another background character.
    But every now and then they can't resist peeking at the Main Actors.
    upload_2017-2-19_5-29-37.png
    I thought he was going to walk up to Taryn and become part of the scene, but he didn't.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,223
    Medals:
    I remember really enjoying this when I watched it, but reading your reviews it's like I totally forgot everything. I think need to watch it again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Episode 12 & 13

Finally, the big secret has been revealed.
    upload_2017-2-20_19-9-58.png

Colette is not at all what I had expected, although I'm not sure what that was exactly. She is not a Lady Ashley Mitchell or Jessica Montford or Skylar Kimball.
    She doesn't cause any problems, she seems very nice and misses her father very much. I wonder if they had planned to make her Grant Harper's new wife, now Marjorie has died in a plane crash.

I wish Marjorie had had the chance to tell Grant about Wesley's underhanded attempt to get her to sign over her shares of HWW to him.
    This storyline was screaming for a conclusion or an event that would turn everything upside down. And it did, partially, but it also allows the half-hearted feud between father and son to continue. I wouldn't even call it a feud.

It's time for the Tempus fashion show, and eventhough it was hard not to giggle watching the over-the-top 80s "cool" fashion and attitude, I wouldn't say it looked cheesy.
    upload_2017-2-20_20-4-15.png
    It's a very vibrant scene and like I've said before it's these things that Paper Dolls does very well.

The crazy Laurie-fan (with a gun) is also present, and I was waiting for that gunshot (aimed at Chris York perhaps) that would hurt or kill the wrong person (Dinah Caswell or Racine, for example), but there wasn't enough time for that.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Of course I have tried to figure out for myself how to rate and rank Paper Dolls - and is it better than Models Inc?
    I have thought about it long and hard (because I don't want to be too critical or too generous) and I think this series was not very good. At the same time there wasn't much that I disliked, it was not awful, like Return To Eden.

The story itself wasn't brilliant, but good enough for a few hours of escapism.
    I'd say it's better than the last seasons of Dynasty (except S9) but I prefer to rate these soaps based on their best moments. And that's why Dynasty always benefits from its first great seasons.
    Paper Dolls does not have a great first season.
    I try to be careful with descriptions like "corny" and "cliché", because this is 2017, not 1984. Of course I've seen it all before, but maybe not before or at the time Paper Dolls aired.
    Nevertheless, when I watched Flamingo Road (another oldie) last year, I could never predict what was going to happen, so it is possible to surprise me.

Someone here has mentioned that they tried too much (with too many characters) and I agree with that because they had to divide the time and input between the two main storylines: the models and the Harper dynasty.
    There simply wasn't enough time to give everything the attention it deserved.

Personally I would have liked to see the mighty HWW being represented by only one person, either Wesley or Grant.
    There could be a Mrs. Harper, guest appearance by Lauren Hutton.
    Blair was too much in the middle of everything, so I'd rather see her unrelated to the Harpers.
    Being one of the models (and nothing else) would create a sense of Valley Of The Paper Dolls.
    As Blair Fenton-Harper, wife of a famous fashion designer and heiress to the HWW fortune, she didn't really struggle as a the ageing model, and I think that was a missed opportunity.

Therefore, I prefer the set-up for Models Inc.
    Ironically, that show also had too many main characters, and it became a pulp of boyfriends and insignificant mini-subplots.

The scenes of Paper Dolls often seemed rushed and static.
    The dialogue was short and very to the point, it doesn't have to be Shakespearean, but a little more care to detail makes a difference I think.
    I wonder if they had to do the 3 minute scenes in 2 minutes. It's as if the actors were waiting for the other actors to finish their lines, so they could fire theirs.
    It's a shame really, because everything looked very beautiful and they've done many scenes on location.

So my current ranking would be:

1. Peyton Place
    2. Knots Landing
    3. The Colbys
    4. Dynasty
    5. Falcon Crest
    6. Howards' Way
    7. Flamingo Road
    8. Dallas
    9. Emerald Point N.A.S.
    10. Paper Dolls

Not sure where to place Sons & Daughters, because it had the look of a daytime soap. Otherwise, it would be #6, which means Paper Dolls would be #11. Harsh!
    Don't remember much of Emerald Point but I remember liking it. Maybe it should be at # 10..

• Like Like x 2
  19. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    Now I want to know what you'd make of THE YELLOW ROSE, Willie!

20. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,263
    Medals:
    Was this made before or after Dallas? Dack Rambo looks older than he did as Jack.