1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panel shows & game shows

Discussion in 'Notable TV' started by Emelee, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,761
    Medals:
    A panel show is a radio or television game show in which a panel of celebrities participates, in teams, with both teams having a captain.

A game show is a type of radio, television, or stage show in which contestants, individually or as teams, play a game which involves answering questions or solving puzzles, usually for money or prizes.

What are some of your favourite panel and game shows?

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,843
    Medals:

But we watched everything in the 70s and 80s.

3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,303
    Medals:
    My favorite panel-type game show doesn't have 'captains' or 'teams'. It's old-school (1973-82) Match Game, hosted by Gene Rayburn. The host would read a set-up statement with an important part (the punchline) left "blank". The panelists would write responses on cards. The contestants would then offer up an answer for the "blank", and the individual panelists would then reveal their (typically funny) responses. The contestant who got the most matches would win, then go on to another match round to win a larger sum of money. This show was a product of its time, and the mix of celebrity panelists was amazing. They were typically drinking during the filming breaks, so some episodes feature the stars being a lot more loose with their humor than others. Brett Somers and Charles Nelson-Reilly were seated beside one another and were always ragging on each other, and the fourth panel seat was always occupied by the "babe-of-the-week" for Gene to make suggestive comments toward and flirt with (when he wasn't making veiled comments about he and Brett carrying on in cheap motels).

from the period:
    Gene: "Bad news. King Midas has lost his Golden Touch. Yes....now, everything he touches turns to [blank]."
    Richard Dawson: "Everything he touches....[holds up card] turns to mufflers."
    (Midas Muffler Shops were everywhere in that period)

The reruns are now so old that it's rare to see a panelist who is still alive in 2019. :( But I can watch these shows over and over and laugh every time.

4. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,941
    Panel shows I enjoy

A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN
    ale.jpg

8 OUT OF TEN CATS.
    898.jpg

I've never been a fan of game shows until I caught an episode of The Chase and loved its format as well as the Chasers and Bradley Walsh.

1.jpg

5. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Addict EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +974
    It depends entirely on my mood, honestly. If we're speaking of classic TV, it's hands down panel shows. I'm a lover of What's My Line? (actually just watched two episodes on my lunch break), and other shows of the similar arena. Now, if we were discussing newer game shows, I'll go with regular game shows.

I like the old Card Sharks and The Pyramid, too.

6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,303
    Medals:
    I liked the Ann Robinson-hosted version of The Weakest Link, but the half-hour version they created for American TV with George Gray (?) was no fun at all.

7. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Addict EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +974
    I use to LOVE that show!

8. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,761
    Medals:
    I am a huge fan of David Mitchell, so anything he is in is my favourite. Like Would I Lie To You?

[​IMG]

When it comes to game shows, I like the more brainy quiz shows where you can compete against the people actually in the contest. I prefer the quiz shows where two teams compete against each other in a big variety of questions. I prefer the celebrity quiz shows rather than completely unknown people.

Swedish TV has two such great shows. På spåret (On Track) and Alla mot alla (All Against All).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 16 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,083
    Medals:
    Best of the game shows has to be Bullseye, closely followed by Blankety Blank.

Swami