One Last Time..

Discussion in 'JR & Sue Ellen Fan-fiction' started by Sarah, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    This is my attempt at writing again - won't be a long one but just an idea that popped into my head yesterday. It is not, nor would it ever be, my intention to place Sue Ellen in a position of helplessness, so bear with me while I thrash this one out. It is a storyline that has bothered me since I was a child and writing about it from different angles helps me deal with it. ;)

One More Time....

The thunder clouds rolled high above Southfork Ranch, followed by a loud boom which seemed in its own way to predict the day that lay ahead.

Briefly pausing to look out of the bedroom window, Sue Ellen stood only to leave a set of documents on the bureau, sealed in an envelope marked for his attention. At the time she knew it had been wrong, but if she'd been able to predict this far in the future, she was sure she wouldn't have let things go this far.

Passing by his rustic chest of drawers, designed to his specific and unique taste, she lifted one of his ties, gently knotting it around her feminine fingers, almost oblivious to the hustle of the crowd beginning to gather outside. Her legs were robbed of strength and she sat on the side of the bed, not allowing herself to acknowledge that it was the last place in the world she should be. Also oblivious was she to the approaching footsteps in the hallway.

As she sat lost in her thoughts, she was in totally the wrong place to react as the door swung open and his steel blue eyes met hers.

Neither spoke. Both almost frozen in time by the shock of seeing the other in such a strange, yet such a familiar place. As his height and body framed the doorway, she had nowhere to go. She was trapped. But she still couldn't sense the danger, and her body still wouldn't move.

He observed her. Dressed against the norm in a pair of skin tight, faded blue jeans, flat shoes and and a cotton white shirt, her hair was scraped back into a pony tail, her make up was minimal and her hoop earrings occasionally caught the light from outside. Still, there was absolutely no mistaking her beauty, no mistaking it was her. But was she really here? Was he seeing this?

In a feeble attempt to mentally check in with himself and prove he wasn't hallucinating, JR said, almost in a whisper -

"Sue...Ellen?"

Tears had already started to form in her large eyes as she managed to stand and said, "JR...."

He moved towards her slowly. She tried to read his expression looking for any sense of anger but all she could see was confusion.

"What....are you doing here?"

She snapped back to the present as she watched him, the steps he took seeming to take a lifetime to bring him closer. Her lack of heels making him tower above her. She knew she was vulnerable. And JR could always sense any sort of weakness. He could smell it. And that is when danger occurred.

Her gaze fell from his face to his body, the buttonhole in his lapel made from fresh flowers taken from Miss Ellie's garden, reminding her why she was here. He was all set for a wedding. His own wedding. And Sue Ellen felt a painful jab in her heart as to how handsome he was. And how today would finish with him being married to someone else.

She had one chance. There was no point - and no time, to beat around the bush.

"Miss Ellie knew I was coming - for John Ross. I said I would wait in his room if he needed me, then slip out. I....didn't mean..."

"But you just happened to walk across the hall into my room instead?" JR said, his voice and expression a mixture of sarcasm and bewilderment.

"Don't do this, JR", Sue Ellen said, almost in a whisper. It didn't come out as confidently or as vocal as she had planned 5 minutes earlier. Not that she had planned any of this. And as the words came out of her mouth she felt like she was watching a tv show, starring them both, and that her alter ego was screaming at her from the couch to not go any further.

"What?" JR said.

"Please don't marry her."

Silence. As if someone had paused them and was waiting on a higher power making the next move as on a giant chess board.

"What?" JR said again.

"JR!", Sue Ellen said, the tears almost threatening to overpower her. Finding it hard to keep looking at him or to stand still, she moved further to the middle of the room. "Didn't you hear what I just said?"

"Oh I heard you alright...." JR said. Now he was getting angry. "You show up here on my wedding day, with no warning...I find you sitting here on my bed...and now you're asking me not to go ahead with the wedding? What? WHY, Sue Ellen Why now of all days?" JR said, his tone now serious, his expression demanding as he walked towards her. Sue Ellen regretted moving further from the door as his height and power commanded every part of her.

"Because she isn't pregnant JR!" Sue Ellen exclaimed.

JR's eyebrow creased in confusion at her words. "I told her to say that! And now I regret it so much because....because I still love you!"

If any words from her were going to stop JR Ewing in his tracks, she had just said them. But after everything that had happened between them, especially with her taking Ewing Oil and practically handing it to West Star last year, JR wasn't in a very forgiving mood. As far as he was concerned, she had put the nail in the coffin of their marriage.

Despite that, for once he was speechless.

"Tell me you don't love me anymore...and I will never bother you again..." she said, one single tear falling to her cheek.

Just at that, Miss Ellie appeared in the doorway, her expression turning serious and tense as her eyes fell on her son and former daughter in law.

"Not now you two for goodness' sake!" Miss Ellie exclaimed. "JR get downstairs".

JR didn't move but studied Sue Ellen as her eyes moved from Miss Ellie's and back to him, her gaze almost pleading for what she wanted, needed to hear at that moment.

"Now JR", Miss Ellie ordered.

"Mamma, I...."

Sue Ellen took his silence as her answer and walked towards Miss Ellie. "I'm sorry Miss Ellie..." Sue Ellen said, dabbing her cheek. "Please tell John Ross I'm sorry..."

"Sue Ellen!", Miss Ellie exclaimed as she watched her run. Again.

With that, Sue Ellen took her exit via the balcony stairs and toward her car, to avoid anyone seeing her. Her heart was hurting. Not only was JR marrying someone young enough to be his daughter, but people who had once been her family, including her beloved Clayton, would be standing up there for Cally today. She got to her car, managed to reverse and turn with minimal fuss, and exited down the Southfork driveway at lightning speed and as she had done so many times before.

Nothing she had said seemed to have made a difference. Had anyone told her a year ago she would even be uttering those words to him, she would have laughed in their faces.

She had set out today to try to be strong and to be there for her son. With no intention of interacting with JR or him even knowing she was there, she had taken the opportunity to bring JR the contracts to the shares of West Star she had purchased and to give them back to him, not only freeing herself of him but giving him back something she should never have had. She thought it would bring her peace. Instead, she had left them on his desk, and been overtaken by a much higher desire. Realising that being at Southfork again and experiencing feelings of losing him as she had only done once before during his relationship with a former model whose name she never uttered. And that hadn't even gotten as far as marriage. She took a chance today and now cursed herself as she turned out of Braddock and on to the highway for thinking that it would have been easy and that he would have just returned her feelings so easily.

She had taken the one thing from him apart from John Ross that he could never forgive her for. She should have known better but at the time had no real idea what she was risking. JR didn't see things the way she did and he could never acknowledge the pain he had caused in their relationship. He could only see it from his side.

JR stood motionless inside his bedroom, as his mother approached him from behind.

"I don't know what just happened JR. But for God's sake, don't let today go further than it has to. I don't want anymore pain in this house".

"Yes M'am...." JR managed, shock clearly overwhelming his ability to think straight.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Alexia

Alexia Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Love it Sarah!!!!:love2:
    Just beautiful!!!! Is it a first chapter or just a one shot? Because I need more!:heels:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    Thank you so much @Alexia!! I will wrote a couple more chapters and see what happens next....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Very nice :) This isn't the first time I've read a story set around the same scene, it's a rather powerful one it seems.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    Thank you so much Miss Texas. Yes, I started the trend with this one when I wrote 'The Ties That Bind'. This was followed by the brilliant 'Wild is the Wind' written by @ Goldie. (Gold Sovereign).

You gave me the chills when you said 'powerful' regarding the scene. That's it exactly and I think that's why I'm fascinated by it. So much more could have (and should have) been done with it for JR and Sue Ellen in that original scene. It would have changed so much.

Thanks again for reading.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,741
    Medals:
    I am happy to see that you are back to writing again Sarah. It was a great start as always. I love the way you write JR/SE. :hat:

I agree it is an iconic scene and therefore I know that Sue Ellen wore that yellow outfit on the show. So when I read that she was dressed differently in your story I must admit it confused me a bit as to the time frame of where the story was set. So maybe you shouldn't have changed the detail of what she was wearing?:think:

Except for that I loved it. :)

Typical of Miss Ellie to interrupt like that. Can't wait to find out if JR will go ahead with the wedding or not in the light of what he just found out!

7. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    Thanks Karin! Why confused as to the time frame though because of an outfit change? Miss Ellie wasn’t in the original scene either but...

Of course I know the yellow outfit - it IS my Sue Ellen but the reason I changed her was because in this story she isn’t attending the wedding. I think it is ok to change scenes and to experiment with new ideas. Please remember and I’m proud to say that I know her scenes pretty much better than anyone. I could even tell you how many steps she took in the room ;)

In this story it would have made zero sense for her to be dressed for the occasion. Bear with me - if you want to continue of course - no pressure if not. To be honest I’m a little puzzled as to why a minor detail such as an outfit change would matter. These two are a huge part of my life and I just want to thrash this one out as I vision it. And hope those who want to read it enjoy it. :NI:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. zephiey

zephiey Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +36
    And?
    Continue please.

9. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    I saw you'd messaged me and was so excited to see what you'd written. I waited overnight. Now I'm laughing my head off.:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,741
    Medals:
    And here I thought that you had posted an update Sarah! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    Sue Ellen didn't know where she was going or what she was doing so she just drove as fast as she could out of Braddock. If she had a thought, any thought, it was for John Ross and the fact he may have needed her. She cursed herself for being so impulsive. Today wasn't supposed to be about her and JR - she wanted to be there for her son during this difficult time. But something had taken her over.

She pulled over. Taking out her cell phone, she texted a message.

"I'm so sorry John Ross....I couldn't stay. I asked Grandma to tell you I'm sorry. Let me know you're ok Sweetheart. Please forgive me. I love you! xx"
    Waiting until it was safe to get back on the highway, she did so as soon as there was a break in the traffic. Part of her wanted to keep driving, the other part of her was too distracted but knew she needed to stay nearby incase John Ross needed to come to her.

Eventually pulling into her driveway, she was astounded to see a small group of reporters outside the large gate which led to her driveway. Although it was rare that the gates to Southfork had ever closed, Sue Ellen always felt safer knowing they were there and she now felt safer in the grounds of her own home, in the affluent Highland Park area of the city. She had her own money now, money she had hard earned and hadn't taken, or wanted, anything from JR in the divorce settlement. She deserved to live in the style she was accustomed to and as a single and successful woman in her own right, she wanted to feel secure.

Seeing her Mercedes inch closer, the reporters made a staggering jolt towards her as she ensured the car doors were locked. She saw the flash of bulbs and heard their probing questions, "Mrs Ewing how do you feel about Mr Ewing's wedding?" "Do you get on well with his new wife?" "How is this affecting your son?"

The questions were bad enough, however the last one threatened to push Sue Ellen into a rage. Trying her best to retain her composure she gently hit the accelerator and edged her way forward until they had no choice but to move. Using the remote which would open the gate she pointed it in the direction of the laser. To her relief, the gates began to open.

By law, the reporters were not allowed on to private land. As the gates automatically shut behind Sue Ellen, she breathed a sigh of relief. She could hear their questions continuing, their flashbubs popping over the gate. She pulled her car round to the side of the property which was well hidden by trees and an outhouse. Going through the back door was by far the easier and more sensible option. Her experience with the press made her astute to the fact that they would either stay camped out, or leave of their own accord. She hoped it would be the latter.

She thought she would feel slightly better upon entering her home, but after closing the doorway which led to the kitchen, the silence was deafening. What she was sure would be the opposite of what was going on at Southfork with it's hustle and bustle and the usual excitement of a Southfork wedding day. Maybe by now, someone had already ended up in the pool.

She poured a glass of water from the decanter in the refrigerator. She had cried so much that her throat was dry. Taking a long sip of the icy goodness, she kicked her shoes off and walked along the ceramic tile, the coolness of the floor giving her some much needed relief from the Texas heat.

Stepping up on to the raised platform between the kitchen and the living room, she stopped to look in the hall mirror. "God...I'm a mess..." she whispered, seeing her own eyes for the first time and how red they were from crying, her cheeks blotchy from emotion and stress. Had she really allowed JR to see her like that? "It wouldn't be the first time..." she said, attempting to humour herself and the morbidity of the situation which she found herself in.

She felt weak from the stress and lack of food which had overwhelmed her over the past few days in the build up to what she had nicknamed 'The Event'. She had tried to kid herself into believing she was fine with it, fine with JR moving on and fine with him being married to someone else. She had kept her distance as much as possible save for seeing John Ross and that was usually at her own home. Out of sight, out of mind. JR that is. Except he wasn't. And today had made that abundantly clear.

She was exhausted. She didn't even remember the half of what she had said, how it had come out of her mouth or even how JR had reacted. All she did remember was that he didn't say anything. Except she thought he had chastised her. Had he mocked her?

What was even worse was that this was a situation she had part created herself and one which could have been avoided had she not thought at the time it was funny to toy with JR's head by convincing Cally to tell him she was pregnant. Cally was part of Sue Ellen's punishment to him for what he'd done to her over the years. Sue Ellen knew deep down he didn't love Cally. He couldn't. She just wasn't.... well she wasn't right. Not that anyone ever would be in Sue Ellen's eyes. Had she driven him to Cally? Would they now have many years of happy marriage based on her own lie?

Moving into the living room and sitting down on the plush couch, she decided to lie down. Having intended the rest only to be for a few minutes, she soon drifted off into a deep sleep.

She didn't hear the ping of her cell phone, alerting her to a text message.

Unbeknownst to Sue Ellen, Clayton had been given the ominous task of announcing that the wedding was 'postponed'. It had taken a while for the gasps of surprise and whispers of 'I told you so' to fade out before the guests began to clear away from the patio and pool area. Miss Ellie had tried her best to hide her embarrassment and had politely thanked those who had come along for making the effort to attend. Although she knew that her eldest son wasn't doing the right thing, she hadn't forseen the day ending like this.

JR was sitting on the end of the bed in what had been Sue Ellen's go-to bedroom during the most complicated periods of their marriage. Attempting to reason with Cally wasn't proving easy, but he was doing his best to remain calm. His relationship with her, to her, was so different to that of Sue Ellen, who he had been confident enough with to thrash things out, to shout, to reason, to laugh, to almost cry - but Cally just wasn't on the same level and he felt he was having to talk to her as he would a child.

"But whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyy JR?" Cally cried in her thick Arkansas accent. "I thought we was happy!"

"It's just not right that I marry you Cally..." JR said, trying to sound soothing but serious at the same time.

"But why leave it 'till now?" she managed between sobs. "All our friends and family is here and I'm just humiliated!"

"Not as humiliated as you would be had we married" JR said. It gave him no pleasure to see her sit and sob beside him. He knew she was hurt, but at the same time his head was banging so hard that all he wanted to do was crawl into a dark room with a bottle of Bourbon. Patience had never really been his strong point.

"What do ya mean?" Cally howled.

"Cally", JR said doing his best to sound kind and not like a father figure, "..for two people to marry, they should be in love, deeply in love..."

"I thought you did love me!" Cally shouted.

"I care for you Cally, of course I do, but it isn't love. I'm sorry."

"But you could grow to love me! Cally exclaimed, almost begging now. "I know we haven't known each other for very long, but I can show ya how to love me..."

"It has to be there from the start!" JR said, "And there are so many differences between us that I know it just won't work".

Cally looked both despairing and despondent, as she paced the room, still in her wedding dress and veil. "I just know I can make ya happy", she said, quietly sobbing.

At that JR stood, determined not to prolong the agony for either of them any longer.

"Cally..." JR said softly, touching her on both of her shoulders, but pulling out one of his tricks in an effort to end this once and for all. "I know you lied. About the baby".

Cally gasped, "How'd ya know about that?" she said, her eyes widening like a tiny child that had been caught red handed doing something they shouldn't.

JR didn't say anything but just looked at her.

"Sue Ellen!! Sue Ellen told you!! Why would she do that after...!"

"After what?"

"After it was her idea!"

"Sue Ellen was trying to settle a score with me, Cally. That's what you don't understand about adult relationships...they are complicated and not always like livin' on a bed of roses."

"But why'd she tell ya the truth now?"

"I don't know. Maybe it was a step too far even for her", JR said, feigning the truth. He didn't think getting into a discussion about why Sue Ellen had told him would be of benefit to anyone now. "But believe it or not, she has done you a favour Cally. You would have been miserable married to me", JR said,

"But whhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?" Cally questioned again.

JR sighed. "For all the reasons I've already given you. I don't love you in that way Cally. And you deserve to be with someone who does love you and who can make you happy in a way I never could".

As if summoning strength, Cally sniffed and said, "Sue Ellen was right about ya. You really are a bastard!"

JR nodded. "Yes, yes I am", he said, not at all affected by her words and relieved that she seemed to be understanding him.

"So that's why she left?" Cally queried, her eyes widening in realisation.

"Cally, I don't wanna talk about Sue Ellen with you", JR said firmly.

Cally nodded with her chin jutting out in recognition of his non-verbal admission. JR didn't even know himself what he was doing. He just wanted out of this situation and for the embarrassment to go away.

"Look...you'll have everything you need I promise. You can go back to Arkansas and live real comfortably", JR said.

"What in the hell makes you think I wanna go back to Arkansas?" Cally shouted in surprise.

"Well surely there's nothin' for you to stay in Dallas for now..."

Cally began to sob again at what she interpreted as coldness from JR. She wasn't quite used to his style and way of thinking.

JR quickly realised that things were going to get out of hand again if he didn't come up with something quick and said softly "I can stay in town tonight if you want...you can stay here and get some rest...leave in the morning...or..."

"I don't wanna stay here. I'll go to a hotel", Cally said.

"Are ya sure you wanna be alone?" JR asked.

"Yes. Sure I may go ahead and give Sue Ellen a call! She can keep me company!" Cally screeched at him.

JR sighed again in frustration. "Cally....just leave Sue Ellen out of this".

"Why should I? It's her fault!" the young woman screamed, almost forgetting her realisation that JR was the real villain in the scenario and turning full circle back to Sue Ellen.

JR suddenly became threatening. "Cally, I mean it. Sue Ellen is John Ross' mother", JR said, coming up with the only thing he could in that moment. "Stay away from her".

Cally was chilled by JR's warning, not only because she knew he was serious, but because she could almost hint at a certain protectiveness emanating from him towards his ex-wife. She refused to believe it.

"I'll make a hotel reservation for you and have someone drive you there".

Cally nodded. As JR left the room, Cally found her Southern strength again and proudly said, "JR?" JR turned to face her.

"I'm not gonna leave quietly....."

• Like Like x 1
  13. zephiey

zephiey Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Cally needs to leave quietly because if she doesn't JR won't pull any punches.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Crazy For Sue Ellen

Crazy For Sue Ellen Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +237
    This is really great!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,741
    Medals:
    Great update Sarah. :)
    Typical that Cally won't give up. Unfortunately JR is still married to her. I think he should divorce her and give her a generous settlement.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    "Cally...." JR said turning back from his own bedroom doorway to face her.

"We ARE still married remember? Maybe it didn't happen today how I'd a liked it but we did get married in Haleyville!"

JR closed his eyes and lowered his head. "Cally...that wasn't a real marriage. Hell, it probably wasn't even a real minister that conducted it!"

"That's Father Icharest!" Cally exclaimed. "Been my reverend since I was baptised as a baby!"

"Cally", JR said once more, growing more and more impatient. "I was still married to Sue Ellen when I was forced to marry you. That's coercion"

"It's whaaat?" Cally droned.

"It means it's illegal!" JR said loudly.

"Well ain't that just tough!" Cally said defiantly, crossing her arms over her white wedding dress.

"Cally enough", JR said. "I have to talk to John Ross now and the rest of the family. You should get changed and I will arrange that ride to the hotel for you".

"You know what?" Cally said. "I've just gone ahead and decided I'm gonna stay here. I am still your wife, after all", she said with a smirk.

"Oh my God she's been possessed by Sue Ellen..." JR thought to himself, noting this newly found defiance which was a lifetime away from the naive little girl he'd met in Arkansas.

JR was done arguing. "Fine", he said. "Fine", turning her defiance back on her. "But you will be staying in that room, not mine. I've made my position clear Cally and I'm not willing to live under a roof with a wife I do not want to be married to. It isn't fair to either one of us. I'll stay in town tonight".

"You lived with Sue Ellen and she slept in this room!" Cally shouted, determined to keep the war going as long as possible.

Sue Ellen must have told her about their some-time living arrangements and it annoyed him because Cally was using his relationship with Sue Ellen and whatever information Sue Ellen had fed her, against him. She had obviously told her intimate details about their life together too, which annoyed him even more.

"Cally", JR said firmly, "I've already told you once. I am not discussing my relationship with Sue Ellen, with you."

"But she said..!"

"It doesn't matter what she said. What you have to try to understand is that Sue Ellen has a score to settle with me. And more importantly, what you need to understand is that my relationship with her was a real relationship. With all it's complications....it was real. And what we...have...is not the same thing. Never will be."

"Well we'll just see about that!" Cally said again, in mock defiance. She thought she sounded sincere, JR just thought she resembled a spoiled child.

JR shook his head and said, "Fine. I tried to make this as painless as possible.." He went into his room and closed the door, hearing Cally slam the bedroom door behind her. 'Echoes of the past..." he thought. Somehow though, hearing Sue Ellen slam a door had always been much more enticing.

He didn't know what to do next, but decided to get out of his wedding clothes. Throwing his jacket on the bed and tugging at his tie, he went to the mini bar and poured himself a large Bourbon. Downing it in one and slamming the glass so hard against the bar it almost broke, he was walking towards the wardrobe when he spotted a large, white envelope which he knew hadn't been there before. Lifting it, he recognised the elongated, descriptive writing immediately. Although it only had two letters, J and R it was instantly distinguishable as Sue Ellen's.

His heart skipped a beat as he took a breath before opening it. He knew it wasn't divorce papers. They were divorced already. He was curious to know so using the sharp letter opener to tear through the seal, he pulled out the contents. His eye was drawn immediately to her signature, and due to his experience in the oil business, it didn't take him more than a few seconds to decipher what the document was.

He was distracted by another small piece of paper falling to the floor. A note. He could smell her perfume on it as he read,

"My dearest JR. I've wanted to give this back to you for the longest time, but now just feels like the right time. I never should have had it in the first place. Please forgive me.

Yours, Sue Ellen."

It was the shares to West Star that she had acquired, preventing him from having control of the company. She had known it would destroy him in the one area it would hurt him the most. She had shown him she could best him. He had vastly underestimated her reaction to his affair with Kimberley and not only had he lost the power to regain his status in the oil industry that day, but he'd lost her as well. It stood up there with the worst day of his life, alongside when Jock had died. JR had never thought something so devastating could happen to him and the fact that Sue Ellen of all people was behind it had crushed him, but of course he never let that show, to the point the relationship was damaged beyond repair. It was something that despite his own misdeeds, he could just never forgive and his pride and male ego had cost him everything he cared about. He would just never have admitted to it. Then or now.

JR was floored, which didn't happen often. He sat on the chair nearby and pondered what had just happened. He had his power back. Sue Ellen hadn't even asked for anything financially and the shares were worth a fortune. Like giving a gift, she'd given them to him willingly. The note expressed so much, with so little words. All he had to do was sign the document relinquishing power back to him. He could own the shares and take back everything that was his. Regain his standing in the oil community. Laugh at those who had thought he was finished.

She'd saved him again. The first time was from Nicholas Pearce's father. Now this. As much as JR hated to admit it, she was the only person alive who knew JR this well. And it must have taken a hell of a lot for her to do this. It had hurt him so much at the time, in so many different ways. The fact that she knew that and had now openly admitted it provided him with so many answers to everything that had went on in his head over the past few months.

He tucked the papers safely away in his briefcase and locked it. He was taking no chances with losing them.

Continuing to change, he settled for a light pair of trousers and a light blue shirt. Although he was rarely seen without a suit and tie, he wanted to remove himself from the confines of them for one day. His cowboy boots and Stetson had to match of course as they always did.

Picking up the phone beside his bed he dialled the number for Dallas Ritz Carlton and booked the Penthouse Suite. Not only did it have a magnificent view of the Dallas skyline, it would also afford him a view of the old Ewing building and of the empire he would now be able to build. And although JR was not one for openly displaying or showing emotion, he knew that one person was responsible for the wealth of emotions he was now experiencing.

Lifting his Stetson and overnight bag, JR walked the short distance to John Ross' room. Just as he was about to knock the boy's door, Miss Ellie appeared, apparently on her way to talk to her son just as JR was his.

"Oh Mama, good... I wanted to speak to you".

"Have you spoken to Cally, JR?" were Miss Ellie's first words.

"Yes. I've explained my position and why I couldn't go ahead with the wedding."

"And how is she? Did you tell her it was because of Sue Ellen?"

JR didn't speak.

"Is it?" Miss Ellie probed.

"Mama, right now I just need to talk to John Ross. But I wanted to ask you a favour too...if you don't mind". JR gently moved his mother away from the door where he could hear John Ross and Christopher talking.

"Cally won't leave. She claims that sham marriage that happened in Haleyville is still valid and that she has a right to be here".

JR was momentarily shocked when his mother said, "Well, Cally would be right".

"Mama...."

"I'm sorry JR. I think you did the right thing today in not taking this any further..." Miss Ellie explained as she twirled her pearls around her fingers, "...but you did marry Cally in Haleyville and she is still your wife whether you like it or not."

Softening, Miss Ellie reached up and took her eldest son's face in her hands. "I am proud of you for what you did today. After so many turbulent years with Sue Ellen, you nipped this in the bud before anyone became seriously hurt. But I'm afraid you have made your bed. You must lie in it, or find a way to resolve it. Cally is spirited. I recently told her about taking a horse whip to your Daddy..."

"Good Lord", JR said, "Is there anything the women in my life haven't told her?"

"She's young. She believes she loves you. She's going to do her best to make this work."

"I don't want it to work Mama and I've made that clear!" JR said.

"I know that. But this isn't going to be resolved as quickly as you'd hoped, and now you have to face the consequences of your previous actions".

It was like she was speaking to her little boy. Out of all of Miss Ellie's sons, JR had always, always been the hardest to get through to. She wasn't even sure he had any Southworth blood in him. It was like Jock's genes had taken over and he was 100% Ewing.

"Now what was it you wanted to ask me?" Miss Ellie asked.

"I'm going to take John Ross to a hotel", JR said. "This isn't a healthy environment for him and I don't want to stay here tonight. I don't want Cally filling his head with nonsense either. So could you do me one small favour and not tell anyone where I am? I don't want to be disturbed. I need to have a long chat with the boy."

"Of course JR. What should I tell Cally?"

"She knows I'm staying in town. Call me Mama if you need to but I don't need Clayton showing up and giving me a piece of his mind. I had enough of that with Sue Ellen".

"He won't JR. I think even Clayton admires the stance you took today".

"I am trying to sort this Mama, believe me I am".

For once, looking into her sons blue eyes she believed him. The fact that he was taking a protective stance over John Ross echoed it too. This was maybe one of the few situations where JR wasn't solely responsible for how this had turned out.

"I do believe you JR. Take John Ross. Talk to him. That boy has been through enough".

"Yes M'am".

"And JR?" Miss Ellie said as he turned to walk away. "I want you to sort things once and for all with Sue Ellen. I don't want her being put through any more unnecessary pain either.
    She deserves more than this".

JR nodded.

Miss Ellie made her exit towards her bedroom to make a few more calls to disgruntled guests. Between them, Bobby and Clayton were handling the press.

JR entered John Ross' room just in time to see Christopher trying to leap off the bed.

"Hi Uncle JR!" he announced mid-flight. JR caught him before he hit the ground and took half the room with him.

"Whoa Christopher, what ya tryin' to do boy?"

"He's showing off Daddy", John Ross said, rolling his eyes, seemingly lost in his own thoughts, no doubt shaken by the non events of the day. He had received Sue Ellen's text and messaged her back, but she hadn't replied. He was worried and didn't quite understand what had happened. Only when he saw his father casually dressed did he fully accept that the wedding wasn't happening. For that, he was pleased, but he was also very concerned about his mother. He was relieved to see JR.

"Say Christopher, would you mind if I talked to John Ross for a bit?" JR asked gently.

"Sure Uncle JR!" Christopher agreed. "I'll come back later and see if you wanna play Minecraft!"

John Ross seemed so disinterested in anything at the moment. JR could see it in they young boys eyes. It was understandable. Not only had this much anticipated wedding which he didn't want, not happened, but he was missing his mother and wanted her and his father back together again. He knew he was dreaming but he was miserable and was trying to communicate that to his parents in any way he knew how.

JR closed the door as his young nephew ran off in search of a new adventure.

"How are ya son?" JR said, sitting on the end of the bed. It seemed he was sitting on the end of a lot of beds lately.

"OK I guess", John Ross said, although he wasn't really.

"Just wanna have a little talk with ya about what happened today."

"OK.." John Ross said, looking up at his father from his position on the floor. He was still dressed in the page boy outfit that had been chosen for him. Just like everything else in his life seemed to be chosen for him.

"You understand by now I didn't marry Cally today?"

"Yes, I kinda got that Dad..."John Ross said.

Surprised by his tone, JR said, "Are you upset about that?"

"I'm not upset you didn't marry Cally. I'm upset that you and mom aren't together and I miss her. I just want things the way they were before!"

"I know you do son, but I need to explain to you why I didn't marry Cally today".

"I know why"

"You do?" JR questioned.

"She isn't right for you! She isn't right for us!" John Ross said, his own exasperation mirroring what JR had felt himself only a few hours earlier.

"Well yes, that's right. Boy you are smart!" JR said with a grin. "But here's the thing...Cally and me...well, we are still married. It's a very long story but it happened when your Uncle Bobby and I went to Haleyville. Something really bad happened and well... I had no choice but to marry her".

"Oh brother.....!" John Ross exclaimed as he fell on his back to the floor, covering his eyes. JR stood and pulled his son to his feet.

"Come on. You and I are going to spend the night in town".

"We are?!", John Ross said, his eyes lighting up more than JR had seen in quite a while.

"Yup. Just you and me. And we can order room service and have a long talk".

"Yes!" John Ross said, becoming more animated.

"You should change first", JR said. "Get dressed outta those clothes, put some stuff in your bag and I'll meet you downstairs ok?"

"OK Daddy!" John Ross said and immediately started to undress in a similar way that JR had previously freed himself from the constraints of his suit.

"Bring your toothbrush!" JR instructed with a smile, temporarily forgetting his troubles with Cally and looking forward to his evening with his son. It was only on his walk down the long, Southfork staircase that Sue Ellen came back into his head. She had been uncharacteristically quiet since she saw him before the ceremony was due to start. He'd half expected by now that he'd hear her shouting from the 25 miles away that she lived, or she surely would have tried to cause some sort of mayhem for him. But there was nothing. Deadly silence.

It wasn't normal.

JR managed to get John Ross out of the Ranch without much fuss and into his convertible. He didn't want to talk to anyone, especially Clayton who he didn't doubt would try to play saviour and knight in shining armour to Cally, just has he had so many times with Sue Ellen.

Reversing out of the space before anyone cared to query him, he drove over a couple of flowers that had blown off the wedding arch, symbolic of everything that had happened that afternoon. Looking at the dial on his car radio, it was still only 16:00.

"What hotel are we going to Daddy?" John Ross asked.

"The best in town son!" JR said, the humid Texan air starting to hit them as they exited the Ranch.

"Ace!" John Ross said as he revelled in the quality time with his father, glad to be getting away with him for a while.

The two, so similar both in mannerisms and personality, drove off in the direction of downtown Dallas, happy to be together.

Meanwhile, Cally looked out of the bedroom window, heartbroken but determined that she was going to remain as Mrs JR Ewing...

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Crazy For Sue Ellen

Crazy For Sue Ellen Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Fab! Cally has to go!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,741
    Medals:
    Wonderful, I love all the details you put into it and how you wrote Miss Ellie and Cally. Cute how excited John Ross was to spend time with his dad. I am a little worried about Sue Ellen though...

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    Karin thank you. And thanks also - you gave me a little inspiration on that one. I had forgotten JR was still married to Cally after Haleyville (my mind blanked it out) ! So thanks, it made me take it in a slightly different direction :)

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  20. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    "Daddy?" John Ross said as they neared downtown Dallas.

"Yeah son..?" JR responded, his eyes fixed on the road, enjoying the freedom of the wind as the convertible top was down. He was relieved to be away from Southfork, from Cally and from any questions certain family members may have for him.

"Can we go check on Momma?"

JR looked at his son as he went on "I'm worried. I sent her a message earlier today, then another one and she hasn't replied".

JR thought carefully about what to say. It had been at the back of his mind since she ran out that morning that he should try to see her. But he'd pushed the thought far away while dealing with Cally and speaking to John Ross. Truth was, he didn't quite know what to do. So much had happened between them lately. He knew what the right thing to do was, but couldn't explain to himself why he was so hesitant. Maybe in his own way, he was trying to punish her for setting him up with Cally, by not making it easy for her and running back to her willingly. He just couldn't understand the level of emotions he was experiencing. With Sue Ellen, powerful feelings were part of everyday life, always had been. But even he hadn't felt anything close to what he was feeling now after her confession to him and her selflessness in giving him back the WestStar shares.

"Did you see her earlier? Did she seem upset?" JR asked.

"I just saw her when she helped me get changed for the wedding. She was ok I guess, a little sad."

"So why are you worried?"

"Because she texted me to say she couldn't stay and she was sorry. She said she would stay right through the wedding."

"And?" JR probed as he continued fixed on the road ahead. He reasoned that if John Ross gave him enough to go on, he would have an excuse to go and check on Sue Ellen.

"Don't be mad Daddy, but I sent her another message to say the wedding wasn't happening....and that was ages ago and she still hasn't replied..."

JR sighed. Although he was looking forward to spending time with John Ross, he knew deep down that he wasn't going to get through the day without seeing or at least speaking to Sue Ellen. Forever at the back of his mind since they had separated for the last time, was the fear she would start drinking again. What John Ross was describing was achingly familiar. The silence, the disappearing, the overall dread in the pit of his stomach that she wasn't alright. He'd experienced it far too many times to count.

In an attempt to reassure the boy JR said, "I'm sure she's fine son. But would it make you feel better to see her?"

"Yes Daddy" John Ross said. "Is that ok?"

JR smiled softly at his son. "Of course it is..."

JR drove until the exit to the direction of Sue Ellen's home appeared and then took the off-ramp. His heart started to beat faster and a lump formed in his throat. It was very hard for him to predict what could happen next.

At Southfork, Bobby was busy fielding off a barrage of reporters who had now made their way through the gates. Clayton was doing his best to ask the operator to withhold all or any calls from journalists who had been given a tip off - no doubt by Cliff Barnes or Marilee Stone - that the wedding had been called off.

Miss Ellie sat rubbing her temples in despair as Cally entered the living room. She had changed into her jeans and a shirt and looked utterly crestfallen.

"Cally...." Miss Ellie said, beckoning her to the sofa.

"Oh Miss Ellie....!" Cally said, falling into a sobbing heap on the older woman's shoulder. Miss Ellie signalled to Clayton to leave the hall and summoned Teresa to make some tea.

"Now Cally", Miss Ellie began. "I need you to listen to me."

"Yes M'am..." Cally said.

"And I'm going to be firm with you. I tried to warn you about the Ewing men, JR specifically. JR is my son, my eldest son and I love him. But it doesn't change the fact that he is a hard man to love. And I'm sorry to say, Cally, if he has made up his mind about this marriage, it is highly unlikely he will change it. Can you understand that?"

"I tried so hard Miss Ellie..." Cally said sobbing. "I love him so much, and I know he's your son and I'm sorry, but I've seen a side to him now that I just don't understand....! He was so cold to me today and I don't understand whhhhhhhhhhy he called off the wedding so quickly! Do you know what happened? Can you tell me? He just said it wasn't righhhhhht!"

Miss Ellie pursed her lips. It was clear that Cally didn't know that Sue Ellen had been at the Ranch that morning.

"I don't know Cally...all I do know is that JR has made his decision. And it is clear that you need to move on. Cally, I'm telling you this because I care. You're a young woman with your whole life ahead of you. You're talented, I mean those paintings! JR isn't going to change his mind Cally."

"But he lived with Sue Ellen all those years and she didn't leave!"

Miss Ellie sighed. "Cally, I think that you've only been given a very small insight into JR and Sue Ellen's relationship. They were together for a very, very long time. They have a child. You can't, and shouldn't focus on them. You're not going to make yourself into a version of them. You need to think about what is right for you".

"Oh Miss Ellie..." Cally said, sobbing again as Miss Ellie held her.

"You should rest today. And I assure you, you will never want for anything. I'll see to that."

Miss Ellie held Cally and rolled her eyes. Another mess created by her eldest son, that everyone else was now having to deal with.

• Like Like x 2