1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Old Hollywood Movie Musicals

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ClassyCo, Dec 4, 2019 at 5:57 PM.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +740
    When discussing musicals from Hollywood's Golden Age, I'd be apt to guess that many fans would think about those big, epic-size musicals that came out of MGM during the thirties, forties, and fifties.

But this nerd doesn't.

If ever I were discussing old Hollywood musicals, it's almost a given that I'll generally think of those glittery Twentieth Century-Fox gems first. Betty Grable, who emerged as one of the biggest stars on the planet, starred in a host of bubblegum musical comedies during WWII, but had Alice Faye, the original queen, not gotten sick in 1940, perhaps Grable wouldn't have taken the crown she eventually owned straight out. In saying that, if Grable hadn't become such a phenomenon in America, maybe Fox wouldn't have generated their own Grable-inspired clone by name of June Haver.

Now, the argument has occasionally been made that Fox's musicals weren't quite as groundbreaking (or good, for the lack of a better word) as those MGM masterpieces. While I'd generally agree with that claim, I'd also readily admit that I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to watch Grable in something cutesy, over something more well-touted as classic.

2. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,289
    Medals:
    Interesting idea for a thread.

First always comes to mind Leslie Howard in GONE WITH THE WIND -- exactly a straight male executive's idea of a "sensitive" man: a pantywaist. Even Mr. Howard conceded he "looked like a gay doorman" at an upscale hotel during some of his early costume-fittings.

Howard didn't even want to do the movie and was very snobby about the material (Clark Gable was hesitant, too, but that was because he didn't want to disappoint the book's fan base).

Turns out Margaret Mitchell agreed with me on several points, as she herself asserted (I would learn many years after I'd said it) that the four leads were pitch-perfect except for Howard who was all wrong. (She also agreed with me that the music score was so overwhelming for WUTHERING HEIGHTS that you couldn't hear the dialogue).

She did, however, view women as soft and gentle creatures and men as impossible pigs, and said as much. But nobody's perfect.

Ashley Wilkes, in the book, was a languid patrician, one haunted by the past. And that was not evident in the bitchy casting of Leslie Howard.

Alternatives for Ashley Wilkes? I might suggest Henry Fonda if he hadn't just plantationed it up with Bette Davis in JEZEBEL. I'd also consider Van Heflin whom actresses liked but was considered "too ugly" by those same straight male studio executives... Or, perchance to dream, James Mason?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 8:53 PM
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,289
    Medals:
    "This ain't no place for pu$$ies, Ashley..!"

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    Medals:
    Gone with the wind is my all time favorite movie. But it isn't a musical.

When I think of musicals the first movies that pops into my mind are:
    The sound of music (1965)
    West side story (1961)
    And
    Grease (1978)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,289
    Medals:
    OMG -- the omelette is totally on my face!! I read the title as "miscasts" instead of "musicals"!

:haha: :haha:

Well, I could try to chat about miscast musicals, but that still wouldn't involve GWTW, would it?

"I just hope no one asks me to sing..."
    [​IMG]