1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nicollette & Liz - Hidden drama behind the scenes?

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty' started by thomaswak, Jun 20, 2020.

?

Was there hidden drama with Nicollette's departure?

1. Yes, that woman is more Alexis in real life than on screen

2. Yes, she left because the scripts for Alexis were crap, and she didn't sign for that

3. No, she really left for personal reasons.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Addict EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    I was thinking about Dynasty season 2. The show runner told, at the time, that it would explore Fallon & Alexis relationship. Yet, we hardly saw that on screen. And Liz & Nicollette didn't share much screen time together before Nicollette left. I need to rewatch it, but I think Liz and Nicollette don't even interact much in Nicollette's ultimate episode.

In a youtube interview, when they were talking about Nicollette Sheridan, Liz Gillies took the high road and said she (Liz) was not an easy person to work with. Yet, in the marry-f***-kill game, she chose to kill Nicollette.

I also noticed that during season 3, Alexis (Elaine Hendrix) & Fallon were starting to bond, and explore their relationship, like it was supposed to happen with season 2.

So my question is, what are your guts feeling? Was there any drama behind the scene? Did Nicollette leave because she didn't get along with Liz? Or was she unhappy with her scripts (I frankly would understand her), or Nicollette only left because of her dying mother?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,895
    This is where the problem lies with Dynasty. The series focused too much on Fallon and Fallon (Liz) clearly likes the sound of her own voice to the detriment of others. For a series to succeed like Dynasty it needs to be an ensemble piece. Behind the scenes politics doesn't help. Focus groups (whoever the hell they were) couldn't take to Cristal 1.0. Then there was this sense of urgency (especially from soapchaters right here) to get Alexis in as fast as possible. This reboot was/is trying too hard to reflect the original.

The biggest failure of Alexis (Nicolette) were the people who envisioned Alexis as some trailer trash and my senses suggest Nicolette didn't sign up for that. That was a big mistake. But there is something telling about Dynasty when we're up to Cristal 3.0, Alexis 3.0 and Steven is no where to be seen...and it's only season 3.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,420
    Medals:
    Nicolette signed up to play Alexis Carrington on a Dynasty reboot and ended up playing second fiddle to Fallon. That cant have went down well with her. I am not surprised she left. She thought she was doing a glossy prime time soap playing the biggest bitch of them all and in reality she was playing a joke of a character in a Nickelodeon style teen show. She could do comedy but she should never have been the joke of the show. I can imagine every time she got a script and saw just how Fallon heavy it was she started making her escape plan and fair play to her. It was trash and that's because it was just Fallon's follies. I would rather watch season 7 and 8 of the original on a loop forever.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    The scripts for Alexis in season 1, except for the trash trailer, were ok to very good.

The problem was season 2. They literally turned Alexis on this pathetic broke clown with no direction. As I said it before, I would perfectly understand if she wanted to leave the show. Plots and scripts for season 2 Alexis were just awful.

That's why I think that season 1 was the best, then season 3 is ok, and season 2 is a mixed bag of terrible and very good, with unfortunately very few "very good moments", and a bunch of "terrible" ones.

As much as I love Elaine Hendrix, I wish that Nicollette was not "leg go", and that they'd change the writing team instead.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,420
    Medals:
    Well Nicolette was a shoo in for the role. She knew how to be a soap bitch. If she'd been given the right material she could have been amazing. A cross between the original Alexis' bitchy humour and glamour and Victoria Grayson from Revenge's scheming prowess with traces of Paige's vulnerability from Knots Landing. It could have been gold. And obviously she was really one of very few actresses I saw in the role. The other I thought would have been quite good was Melinda Clarke. I was even more hopeful with a Revenge writer on board but everything ended up in the toilet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,809
    Medals:
    I don't mind the mash-up of classic Dynasty characters, and I could see a lot of classic Sammy Jo in new Alexis (which, I guess, worked better in this teen-oriented remake) but at the same time I feel they could have done more with it, and make it one of the main concepts. Couple Fallon with Matthew, or something like that.
    The villainous Dominique was spot on, although I have no idea how she performed in season 3. A reality show, or something?
    Yes, and it often looks like something that happens beyond their control.

And then you have the tight writing for Adam's introduction story, which looked like a great LSD trip, and all I can think is: keep these writers doped up to the eyeballs.

But anyway, I can't believe that they would use a fatal disease as a cover-up, that's just vile. I don't know if there were any behind-the-scenes tensions, but if there were then Liz Gillies was definitely in the strongest position since it is essentially her show. And, for better or worse, at least that was a firm decision.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    I agree. And sometimes, it's like all the stars are aligned to give you a message, like : "Go away. Move on"
    I mean, maybe she didn't get along with Liz. Maybe she hated the scripts. So maybe, when her mother was diagnosed with a terminal disease, Nicollette didn't have to think twice. I suppose it wasn't a cover up, but a chance for Nicollette to do something right, without feeling torn about it.

8. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    Nicollette is amazing, as an actress. With right material, Alexis would have been gold.
    When I see what they're doing with Elaine Hendrix's Alexis, It confirms what I always thought : the writing is the problem. Not Nicollette, not Nathalie Kelley, not James Mackay...

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,809
    Medals:
    I like to think that her decision to nurse her dying mother wasn't merely a byproduct of her dissatisfaction with the script or any other job-related issues.
    It's a big and emotional commitment, not something one would do instead of.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +963
    Medals:
    Gillies (SP?) is absolutely gorgeous and I can see why Sheridan might feel jealous.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  11. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,280
    Medals:
    Perhaps they got along just fine while they worked together, and it was NS's decision to leave that caused a falling-out (if there even WAS one). Perhaps Gillies was a bit hurt that NS decided so hastily to depart, since she (Gillies) recognized that the show was already struggling with the bad press over the departures of MacKay and especially Kelley. A third major departure in less then three seasons would make the show look like the Titanic in the press. Having their main "name" star leave in the midst of a major story (Mark was scheduled to be murdered and Cristal was going to lose the baby, with Alexis looking like the cause of both tragedies) was going to throw the whole season's stories into a tailspin. Gillies may have felt that Sheridan had the option to fly back and forth to take care of her mother's needs, that "the show must go on" (rightly or wrongly), but NS left them all in the lurch. Heck, maybe Gillies saw Sheridan as her best hope of having another actor shouldering the burden. With her gone (and no idea of when or if Alexis would return as NS or someone else), LG may have felt some of the same abandonment issues Fallon felt when Alexis left. She may not have recognized that Dynasty was just another job to Sheridan, while it was/is the biggest job of Gillies's career to date and wasn't able to immediately recognize why NS could leave so easily.

12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,895
    Hands down this IS my quote of the week....:clap:

13. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    I agree with you. I meant she didn't have to think twice (whatever the situation was) : she had to chose her mother over a job.
    But, if she was unhappy with the scripts (and how could she be happy with them, when we know she wasn't happy with a script from DH), it's easier to quit the job, than if it was the job of your life.

14. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,301

I don't know. Nicollette stopped following Liz and many other Dynasty actors on Instagram...

15. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,809
    Medals:
    True, she didn't walk away from a fabulous comeback.
    Sammy Jo too? :(
    [​IMG]

16. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,280
    Medals:
    Perhaps 'following your co-workers on instagram' (or following instagram at all) is not something she does for enjoyment, but only does it because it is a PR expectation of your job. Leave the job? Leave the PR tasks for the job as well. Some people seem to live their lives for social media consumption; others see social media as a nuisance.

Like I said, perhaps NS felt that it was just another job, that she'd get another job once her personal/family matters are resolved. But to Liz Gillies, it's (perhaps) a career-making role on a career-making show that means so much more to her than it does to NS.

17. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    Yes, maybe following them was a pro duty. Yet, she has been quite selective when she unfollowed them (she kept following Anna Brenda).
    Anyway, her departure did hurt the show imo. In a ideal world, we'd still have Nathalie, James and Nicollette (or at least Elaine Hendrix from day 1, but no 3 alexis, and no 3 Cristals)... When season 3 was finally available on Netflix, that was the main complaint on twitter France : "what an other Cristal and an other Alexis?" and "Why Dynasty has turned into a musical comedy? Is it High School Musical?" :D

18. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    Great Start with season 1, and awful plots/scripts with season 2. So I agree, it was everything but fabulous, unfortunately.

19. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,280
    Medals:
    A lot of them seemingly do not like staying in Atlanta during filming. I wonder how much the locale has played a role in the casting/uncasting, morale during filming, interactions between the cast and crew, and other aspects of the series. We probably won't find out until after production has ended.

20. DeviousPeep

DeviousPeep Soap Chat Newbie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There was definitely some tension between Liz and Nicollette on set, and I personally think it has to do with a clash in personalities. When looking at video interviews and numerous BTS content with Liz and other cast members (particularly with Rafael and Maddison), Liz always commands the room. She seems to have grown closest with Maddison Brown, and while they seem to have a good friendship, Liz is very... dominant? alpha? I wouldn't say she's dramatic, but she seems to like to be on top, and I have a feeling Nicollette is the exact same. I don't think they were necessarily jealous of one another, but I think this might've caused some tension on set, just when it came to conversations and situations in between scenes. Liz never posted any pictures or videos with Nicollette beyond S1 (she regularly posted with the rest of the cast) and often avoided bringing up Nicollette in interviews. Examples: an interviewer mentioned the new regulars in S2, Liz spoke about Ana and Maddison while the interviewer had to go out of his way to bring up Nicollette. In an interview earlier this year, the interviewer mentioned Liz's stint "playing Nicollette Sheridan playing Alexis", and Liz was quick to shift over to her "buddy" Elaine now being on the show. (Side note: it's been confirmed that Liz got Elaine the role of Alexis as they were friends and costars during Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll, a sitcom Liz and Elaine starred in on FX). Liz also gave a statement when Elaine was cast where she said she couldn't think of anyone better for the part. Perhaps that meant /except for Nicollette/, but I feel she could've worded it differently.

Additionally, like most of the rest of the cast, Nicollette wasn't fond of Atlanta. Unlike the rest of the cast, however, she'd go back to LA on her private jet constantly between shooting (see her Instagram page). There was also rumors that she'd be late to set and hold up shooting a lot, which is why she started to appear in less scenes as Season 2 went on. And I can't imagine she was fond of the S2 scripts, as others pointed out (if she took issue with dialogue in DH, no way she would be fine with Dynasty's). So this, on top of personality clash, probably didn't help with her and Liz getting along. And Liz and Nicollette's final scene interacting together was near the beginning of 2x12, three episodes before she departed from the show. 2x13 and 2x14 only saw Nicollette work with Ana and Grant, and 2x15 she only had two real scenes with Sam Underwood. She was in the group scene near the beginning, but she had few lines and honestly I think they shot half of it without her and edited her into it later.

Ultimately, I think Nicollette leaving the show was a mutual decision. She lost interest in the show during S2, didn't have the greatest relationship with her cast members (she unfollowed everyone on IG except Ana; everyone except Ana, Rob Riley, Maddison Brown, and Adam Huber unfollowed her on IG), and her mother was terminally ill. I do believe her mother's illness was a key reason in her departure (Rafael did an Instagram takeover the day 2x01 aired and Nicollette sent in a video message for the fans where she mentions being back in LA to take care of her mom), but I think there were other variables that pushed her to the decision.

• Like Like x 2