1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Swine flu in China

Discussion in 'The Lockdown Lounge' started by Emelee, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,756
    Medals:
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,552
    After all that happened with Sars-Cov-2, you'd think this video is no longer true. I wonder, though.

https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_the_next_outbreak_we_re_not_ready?language=en

3. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,507
    Medals:
    China have an awful lot to answer for - not just for C19 but all the other "flus" that originated there and

I dont believe their death rate and stats for one minute to be accurate.

4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,920
    Medals:
    It is the last place I will ever be. Nothing to do with Covid either. Their treatment of animals is barbaric.

Couldn’t pay me to visit!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,756
    Medals:
    Well, it is because of their horrific animal treatment that we get all these viruses. Bats, birds, pigs and not to mention that they eat domesticated animals. Our furry best friends.

I wouldn't want to visit China either. I will not support their politics or their treatment of animals and people who dare to speak up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,280
    Medals:
    Two questions:
    1. How soon before it hits the US?
    2. How much toilet paper should I buy this time?

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,920
    Medals:
    Questions:

@Daniel Avery can I come live with you before next lockdown so I can have half a chance of breaking into Disney and Universal when no one is looking?

Will you marry me so I can have an American passport?

8. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,280
    Medals:
    I'm not sure what would cause my mother the larger, more dramatic meltdown: reading that her son was arrested breaking into an amusement park, or finding out I got married to a woman. Granted, it would be a beautiful Irish woman, but the shock might be....well, let's just say she might need to have a good lie-down.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,920
    Medals:
    Aw thanks @Daniel Avery - very sweet.

I wouldn’t want to cause her any undue shock, so if we could come up with another plan I’d appreciate it.

10. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,280
    Medals:
    "Honest, mother...she's just the getaway driver." No.
    "Honest, mother...she's the brains. I'm just the muscle." Better.
    "Honest, mother...she's actually the Duchess of Cambridge." Would probably work.
    "Honest, mother...she told me she had a 'midnight pass' to EPCOT." Not in a million years.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,920
    Medals:
    380E581E-07A5-49C6-A12E-D560D453B72D.png

Yeah an Irish Duchess of Cambridge :D @Daniel Avery

Saw this earlier @Toni and thought of you. Get that you won’t maybe appreciate the context but the outfit is cute.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,507
    Medals:
    Ive not had to buy any toilet paper since March - still wading thro the very large pack of what seems like 100 toilet rolls

[​IMG]

Ive been to China - its a fascinating country - sometimes Asian countries have had to eat things that the west dont consider right - but they had to do it to stay allive and it was a matter of life and death. The markets with live animals are not my cup of tea and im not a huge animal fan but for some its survival / not to starve

like Cambodia due to Khmer Rouge, Vietnam due to war with North/South and USA

Australians eat Skippy the bush kangaroo and Ostrich, S America eat Guinea pigs, even the French / Belgians eat horse meat

Im a beef, lamb, chicken girl but when I go abroad I have friends who are far more adventurous than i could ever dream to be - i stick to what i know, like and recognise and in Asiian countries i eat an awful lot of veg and stir frys

13. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,920
    Medals:
    Have to disagree there BF. Its downright cruelty - animals are killed alive, inhumanly and in misery and fear. It’s barbaric.

It shouldn’t matter whether you are a fan of animals or not - dogs and other animals being killed alive and in the way they do it and for festivals is wrong. We are not the superior race although many seem to think so!

China doesn’t need to do this to survive in this day and age. It’s a place I will happily never go to and I hope karma falls on it like a ton of bricks.

I actually believe anyone who can’t appreciate animals is missing out on so much. Give me them over humans anyday. At least they aren’t cruel.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  14. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    It's very easy to blame China for global pandemics but we shouldn't forget that the reason they spread around the world is because governments in Western Europe and America have been cosying up that country for the last few decade to do business with them and to encourage Chinese people to visit countries that wanted their tourist spend. It's the travel to and from China to do those deals and have those holidays that accelerates the global spread of viruses of Chinese origin. So yes, we can point an accusing finger at China but we also need to point it towards ourselves for wanting to attract Chinese money.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,385
    Medals:
    I wouldn't worry too much about it Daniel, especially now you've got meth-gators closer to home.

[​IMG]

106507920_10157312181690267_7367036655950733727_n.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    I mean, the issue here is of course the fact that they have not sanitary living conditions out on the country side and you could say the same thing about a lot of developing countries - these never had the same extensive housing and sanitary regulation projects that the West had during the early 1900s (1920-50s in particular); the option here is essentially to stop doing business with China (and similar countries) for the foreseeable future. Right now the viruses mainly seem to originate from China, but there's a lot of other countries we import cheap produce from that's not exactly up to Western sanitary standards (which is ironically why we import from them in the first place since keeping it "up to code" is expensive).

17. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    Not all Western standards are great though. In Sweden you benefit from the high standards of food hygiene controlled by the European Union but the same isn't true for all non-EU countries. For example, in the USA they allow maggots in orange juice up to one every 250 mls and a maximun of 11 rat hairs every 25g of ground paprika. Chickens are reared in such cramped conditions that they spend most of their lives walking, rolling in and living in their faeces and those of other chickens. So yes, we can point the finger at China but many Western countries need to look at their own food standards too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    I wasn't saying that Western standards are all great and of course there's always improvements that can - and need - to be made, just that the West took a huge step in the right direction during the 1920s-1950s and there's not necessarily been the same sort of steps taken in countries like China, which ironically is what makes their produce cheaper to begin with and why we do trade with them. Either way, is the solution to just stop doing business with China and similar countries?

I guess we could essentially blackmail them into giving their people better standards instead of trying to control their social media activity.

19. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,552
    Every single person who chooses to buy a Chinese product because it is cheaper rather than a similar product of higher quality, sanitary and safety production standards, and also higher price, is responsible for all these pandemics. The global system is Capitalism, and now even China plays that game, and in Capitalism you decide with your money. Every consumer that says "all that matters is my own bottom line" should not be surprised if nothing else matters for the Chinese government or any government: not health, not human rights, not animal rights, the works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,756
    Medals:
    Another reason to boycott Chinese products is their anti-democratic politics and what they've done to Nepal and Hong Kong etc. Jailing journalists and keeping secrets the world should know about. Very much like Russia and other dictatorships. I refuse to support these states.

Capitalism is the source behind most evils in the world. The root of most problems. I prefer supporting the local businesses. I don't know for sure they're run by good people, but at least they have to follow some strict laws.