1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New suspect in Madeleine McCann case

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Sarah, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52914016

A new suspect has been identified in the Madeleine McCann case, 13 years after she went missing.

The man is a 43 year old German who had been spending a lot of time in the Portuguese area where 3 year old Madeleine went missing in 2007.

2. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +911
    I hope it's not another wild goose chase. I sometimes feel that Operation Grange has become an opportunity for police to investigate peodophiles & peodophile rings as extensively as they can with the luxury of funds they wouldn't normally get. It seems that every time the budgeted funding for OG is close to running out, some new line of inquiry is opened or significant info on a suspect (of late, already behind bars) comes to light, and funding is extended.

I just saw this post, Sarah. (An hour ago) Oddly enough, just over an hour ago (two) this case suddenly came back into my mind. I found myself returning to the niggling mystery why Mr McCann lied (on balance of probability) --both to police and in that return to the Algrave documentary he made-- about which side of the street he stood chatting with the English guy who was out walking, trying to get his child to sleep. The Portuguese police files have statements from that English guy that the men were chatting on the side of the road alongside the McCanns' garden gate, and he also sketched the street and marked the spot with an X. He said he'd been across the street with the pram/baby stroller when he spotted Mr McCann outside the garden gate and crossed the street to stop and chat. (He was also a resort guest, and the men had previously met at tennis.)

The lady from the Tapas 9 who claimed she saw a man carrying a child crossing the street at the T-junction just beyond where the 2 men stood chatting also places them near the garden gate at that time. Only Mr McCann asserts otherwise, telling Portuguese police he crossed the road to speak to the guy with the pram. Why the subterfuge?

....And while the Tapas 9 lady claims to have passed both men as she walked uphill on the pavement towards the T-junction, the Englishman who stood at somewhat of an angle facing the pavement and the T-junction said he never saw her at all (and he would have recognised her if he saw her); nor did he see the man allegedly crossing the T-J with a sleeping child. He insisted he had a clear view and he never saw neither woman nor man with child.

IMO it was a huge mistake on the part of the Portuguese authorities to have allowed all the Tapas 9 to return to the UK. They took them at their word to return for an official reconstruction of the night Maddie was found missing, and were helpless to enforce their return when the Tapas 9 and the English guy -- whose wife had written a scathing "first-hand" report of the initial Portuguese efforts to locate Maddie -- found reasons not to attend the official reconstruction; which then had to be called off.

How could British authorities have ignored this odd set-up; and the many, many discrepancies & oddities between Kate McCann's version of the visit(s) by one/two of their Tapas friends after tea-time that fateful day and theirs; and about the claim in the Netflix documentary that Maddie had jumped off a boat that morning during her class outing and had to be rescued from the sea when the class nannies & instuctors never mentioned it in their police reports even though the outing was mentioned and the path/route to the beach the creche folk used was also documented by police? Yet, separately, one of the Tapas 9 men claimed in police reports to have accidentally fallen into the sea and his other Tapas 9 companion had to rescue him. Another oddity: the wife of the Tapas 9 guy who entered the McCann apartment to check on the children for Kate told British police that he'd wondered where Maddie slept and had gone to the parent's room to look, yet Portuguese police were simply told that he didn't enter the children's room, just saw from beyond the door in the available light the twins in their cot breathing, then left.

...Am wondering if in some perverse way, the scale of OG is meant to "prove" -- by as much crossing off of potential abductors as possible -- that Maddie wasn't 'taken', that police have exhausted that theory. Leaving parental involvement in her disappearance much more of a likelihood.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  3. Zable

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +911
    Another oddity: an almost 13-year radio silence on a missing bag Sky News reported on.

In one of Martin Blunt's Sky News reports on or around Dec 23rd 2007, he says the PJ official who took over from Mr Amaral, was looking to locate a blue tennis bag that had gone missing from the McCann's holiday apartment.

I don't know why Mr Blunt described it as a tennis bag, but it became widely described as such by the Press. Sometimes as a sports bag. Occassionally, as a blue hold-all.

When the Telegraph reported on it that Christmas eve, it said that Clarence Mitchell, then the McCann family spokesman, "dismissed the report, insisting that Gerry had never owned such a bag".

It quoted Mr Mitchell as saying: "As far as Kate & Gerry are concerned, there is no missing tennis bag."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1573575/Gerry-McCanns-tennis-bag-is-focus-of-inquiry.html

On Christmas Day 2007, the Daily Mail published a report by Vanessa Allen with the headline: Hunt for Gerry's missing tennis bag which could have been used to carry Madaleine away

Ms Allen reported: "But Mr McCann told friends yesterday that he did not take any tennis equipment to Praia da Luz, and did not own a blue tennis bag."

But did he or some one in the family or group of friends own an oblong (blue) bag?

A Portuguese police photograph reportedly taken in Gerry's bedroom at the PdL resort on May 3rd shows an oblong bag on a shelf in the left of two cupboards in the room. The shelf beneath it had a jumble of cothes.
    https://mmknowthetruth.blogspot.com/2017/02/hunt-for-gerrys-missing-tennis-bag.html?m=

The PJ asked Gerry to describe the contents of the left cupboard seen in the photographs they showed him. In reported speech per the statement they took from him:
    "When asked about the contents of the wardrobe in his room that can be seen in the photographs, he says that on top is a suitcase and below a pile of dirty clothes that he cannot make out. This wardrobe was opened to look for Madeleine."

My understanding is that this "suitcase" is the (blue tennis/sports) bag police were interested in locating. Apparently, it wasn't to be seen when next police photographed the cupboards.

I read somewhere awhile ago, it might have been a report in the PJ files, that this bag/suitcase wasn't among the luggage the McCanns checked in at the airport when they left Portugal.

The cupboard in the photographs in which the blue bag/suitcase sat is the same opened cupboard that Eddie the Cavader dog sniffed, then turned around and alerted to a couple or so months later. However, it seems to me that the distance between shelves might have been adjusted by then.

If the bag/suitcase isn't with the McCanns then where is it now? If it didn't belong to the McCanns, then to whom did it belong?

I've no idea who the man carrying the blue oblong bag in the Sky News video was. The colour of his clothing seems to match with Gerry's top as he closes the boot of the car. If that video was of him with the oblong blue bag, and if that was taken in Portugal, then that was after the McCanns left the PdL resort apartment and moved into a villa -- which was when they rented a car. Is that the bag the PJ couldn't locate at the airport and did it really go missing before the McCanns returned to the UK? I wish Sky News and British police had followed up and told us.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,744
    Medals:
    Dindooit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52916137

Madeleine McCann is "assumed" to be dead say German prosecutors, who are investigating the disappearance of the British girl in 2007.

A 43-year-old German man is being investigated on suspicion of murder, the public prosecutor added.

The suspect, who has been named in German media as Christian B, is currently serving a prison sentence.

He is believed to have been in the area where Madeleine, aged three, was last seen while on holiday in Portugal.

Police are appealing for the public's help in solving the case, after they initially announced they had a new suspect on Wednesday.

Hans Christian Wolters, from the Braunschweig Public Prosecutor's Office, said in an update on Thursday: "We are assuming that the girl is dead.

"With the suspect, we are talking about a sexual predator who has already been convicted of crimes against little girls and he's already serving a long sentence."

He said the suspect was thought to have had jobs in catering, but also committed burglaries in hotels and holiday resorts and dealt drugs.

The suspect has been described as white with short blond hair and about 6ft (1.8m) tall with a slim build at the time.

Police have also released photos of two vehicles - a VW camper van and a Jaguar car - which are believed to be linked to the man, as well as a house in Portugal.

The day after Madeleine vanished in 2007, the suspect transferred the Jaguar to someone else's name.

Madeleine went missing shortly before her fourth birthday from an apartment in Praia da Luz on the evening of 3 May 2007, while her parents were with friends at a nearby tapas bar.

Her disappearance sparked a huge and costly police hunt across much of Europe - the most recent Metropolitan Police investigation, which began in 2011, has cost more than £11m.

6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,428
    Medals:
    I really hate all the stuff about the McCann's being involved. I hate all the scrutiny over how they acted or appeared when on TV during the investigation. People saying they must have done it, the didn't even cry and all other kinds of nonsense. They were going through something that none of us ever likely will have to go through. Everyone reacts differently to things, we all aren't preprogramed robots. I've read some really ignorant, hurtful and insulting conspiracy theories that a range from the stupid to the sick. They killed her and kept in a fridge for weeks while the investigation took place, then buried her after. That they drugged her and then accidentally killed her and then buried her with their doctor friends. That they sold her to a sex ring! The stuff that is honestly being said... and believed! I mean I find it upsetting. I cant imagine how the McCann's must have felt. It just tears your heart out.

Sadly with the amount of time that has passed there just cant be a good outcome with this case. However if there can at least be closure that's something.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    I don’t know if you’d call it a good outcome, but there IS a small chance she is still alive.

Natascha Kampuch was found in Austria 8 years after being kidnapped by Wolfgang Priklopil and Elisabeth Fritzl was found 24 years after being held in a dungeon by her father Josef.

Although both had suffered unimaginable horrors, they were both still alive and have went on to rebuild their lives.

8. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,428
    Medals:
    Those people were with their captors when discovered though? This suspect has been in prison for a long time already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    We don’t know if he does have anything to do with it though. And he could have taken her to someone else.

Guess I’m just hopeful although I hate the idea of her being used by some disgusting old man somewhere.

10. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +867
    I honestly dislike how this poor child's name is continually thrown back into the media circuit every 3-4 years with yet another suspect that police are investigating. Until her death can be proven or (miraculously) she is found, they should allow her rest in peace.

11. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,428
    Medals:
    Every time I see her little face it really breaks my heart. She's so like one of my nieces at that age. My niece is 7 now though. I kinda feel the same way that they should let it rest but at the same time I think it needs to be out there until the family have some kind of closure on it all.

12. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    There's something about this particular suspect and it being back in the media that makes me think this could be coming to an end...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,428
    Medals:
    He's been named and has been involved in sex offences since he was 17. Convicted of acts against young girls. Raped and tortured a 72 year old in the same resort 2 years before and videoed himself doing it. Lived on a farm 20 mins walk from where the McCann's stayed. The farm is supposed to have many disused wells on site. The German police seem certain that others know exactly how and what happened. Apparently this all came about because the suspect started saying he knew what happened to Madeleine when the case was on the news in a bar in 2017. He even returned to Portugal in 2017! Like he's been there all along in plain site. In and out of prison. Why didn't the Portuguese police seriously investigate him. He was a known child sex offender in 2007. He was known to be in the area. They dismissed him as a suspect quite early on. From everything I have read and learned of the case they botched everything they looked at.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    I agree @Alexis - but I also wonder how the McCanns can ever forgive themselves for leaving her alone. I'm sure they have already suffered terribly but if she is dead, the finality of it all is going to come crashing down on them like a ton of bricks :(

15. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,428
    Medals:
    Police are trying to track his underage German girlfriend from the farmhouse. She apparently "left" 2 years before Maddie went missing. I bet they find the German girlfriend where they find poor Maddie. :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    God it's really not looking good is it. Like you, I'm amazed that this hasn't come to light before now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Zable

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +911
    Portugal has never stopped investigating.

Mr Amaral mentioned the new suspect early last year in an interview with an Australian podcaster without naming a person, and news media jumped to the conclusion it was Martin Ney. In November, Amaral told a Spanish TV show that it wasn't. This is the Mail's report:

Ex-Portuguese police chief claims leading Madeleine McCann suspect is a mystery jailed German paedophile who talked about killing Maddie in internet chat room

By Gerard Couzens for MailOnline14:46 30 Nov 2019, updated 17:20 30 Nov 2019​

_Goncalo Amaral also made false slur against the missing youngster's dad Gerry​

_Amaral said 'what I know is that the suspect is not him, it's another man'​

_He claimed last year MI5 spies had helped to cover up Madeleine's death ​

Former Portuguese police chief Goncalo Amaral has claimed for the first time a German paedophile probed over Madeleine McCann's disappearance is not Martin Ney.

And he has revealed new details about why the new 'suspect' is being investigated - and made a fresh, false slur against the missing youngster's dad Gerry - in an interview with a Spanish TV station.

The ex-cop sparked speculation Hamburg-born child strangler Ney was the prime suspect after telling an Australian podcast earlier this year investigators were focusing on a German paedophile in prison.

He failed to identify Ney by name at the time, describing the suspect only as someone who had been ruled out of the investigation into the missing British youngster in 2008 but later jailed in his home country.

Now Amaral, the original lead investigator in the case, has fuelled new speculation about his identity by telling a Spanish TV programme: 'A paedophile who is German and serving life for killing children has been spoken about.

'What I know is that the suspect is not him, it's another man. He's also in prison in Germany. He's also a paedophile.

'Years later, many years later, it appears that in an Internet chatroom there is a conversation between that person and another person where they talk about Madeleine.'

He responded: 'It can't be him' when he was shown a photo of Ney before adding in a false and vile jibe at Madeleine McCann's father: 'I'll say something else, the kidnapper is similar, very similar, to Gerry McCann' before pointing at the photo he had been shown of Martin Ney and adding: 'That man is not similar to Gerry McCann.'

Police in the UK and Portugal, who are leading separate investigations into Madeleine McCann's May 3 2007 disappearance from the Algarve holiday resort of Praia da Luz, declined to comment on Portuguese reports around the 12th anniversary that investigators had a 'new lead and a new suspect.'

The ex-cop (right) sparked speculation Hamburg-born child strangler Ney was the prime suspect after telling an Australian podcast earlier this year investigators were focusing on a German paedophile in prison.

Madeleine McCann disappeared from the Ocean Club resort in Portugal's Praia da Luz as a three-year-old in May 2007

The Policia Judiciaria said in a statement released in May after leading Portuguese daily Correio da Manha said a new suspect had been flagged up to investigators in Lisbon and Porto by Scotland Yard: 'The investigation into the disappearance of an English child in Praia da Luz in 2007, remains open within the framework of an investigation supervised by Portimao's Public Ministry.

'This investigation has been developed in conjunction with international authorities, following police and judicial rules of cooperation justified by the circumstances of the situation.

'The PJ does not feel it is appropriate to make any further clarifications in the interests of the investigation.'

Goncalo Amaral (pictured) claimed last year MI5 spies had helped to cover up Madeleine's death and disappearance

Martin Ney's name emerged after Mr Amaral told an Australian podcast: 'They are preparing the end of the investigation, with a German paedophile who is in prison right now.

'I don't know how they will start it, but that will be the big ending, if it ends.'

He did not identify the mystery German at the time, although Correio da Manha went on to claim Ney was not the suspect.

The 49-year-old was jailed for life in 2012 for abducting and murdering three children between 1992 and 2001.

He targeted children on holiday by entering their tents or villas wearing a mask and armed with a weapon.

Clarence Mitchell, spokesman for Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry was quoted at the time as saying about Ney: 'He fits the profile - he is a known predatory paedophile and he's a foreigner.

'It is quite plausible police are looking at him again but it could be someone else.

'If he is the person of interest, a German force will have to get involved to interview him on their soil.'

The McCanns (pictured) have made a last-ditch attempt to the European Court of Human Rights after losing a libel fight against Mr Amaral in Portugal

Mr Amaral's false slur against Madeleine's father over his 'similar' physical appearance to the man he says investigators are focusing on, follows years of legal wrangling between the former police chief and the missing youngster's parents over his book 'The Truth of the Lie.'

He claims in the controversial 2008 book Gerry and Kate had covered up their daughter's accidental death in their holiday apartment.

The McCanns have made a last-ditch attempt to the European Court of Human Rights after losing a libel fight against Mr Amaral in Portugal.

The McCanns have repeatedly said the false accusations against them have harmed the search for Madeleine

The ex-cop, removed as head of the Madeleine McCann probe in October 2007 for criticising the British police, made his latest comments about the case on a show called 'En El Punta de Mira' about missing adults and children which was aired on Spanish national TV station Cuatro.

He claimed last year MI5 spies had helped to cover up Madeleine's death and disappearance.

He said British secret agents 'for sure had an involvement' in an Australian documentary which aired in April 2018.

The McCanns have repeatedly said the false accusations against them have harmed the search for Madeleine.

Gerry has been quoted as saying: 'I'm sure it's a very small minority of people who spend their time doing it, but it has totally inhabited what we do.'​

18. Zable

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +911
    Let's not forget their fellow 'blotchers' then: the British police who were advising and assisting in other ways until the McCanns returned to the UK -- those who were actually on the ground in Praia da Luz & those communicating from the UK with them and the PJ.

All police in Praia da Luz were not helped by those British authorities back in the UK who were inordinarily slow to act on or release info swiftly to the Portuguese.

Later, when the Tapas 7 were back in the UK, that lack of urgency or determination to want to get to the bottom of things could be inferred in the sometimes less than rigourous questioning by English police of the Tapas 7 over things that begged answers, especially when it concerned the Paynes.

And on top of it, to have running interference and pressure from foreign diplomats and allegedly foreign politicians telling the Portuguese authorities what they should be doing.

Then there was the cover-up attempted by the Tapas 9 over the fact that they weren't checking on the children as frequently as they'd claimed to Portuguese police & to the British and foreign Press --- which made themselves look even more suspicious about what other else they might have been covering up. If it's proved that Maddie was abducted and the time was, say 9.25pm, it would blow a big hole in their stories, which they sustained through their pact of silence.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  19. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,428
    Medals:
    It's very strange that there would be as many sex offenders in that small area all at the same time. I seem to recall more than just the two German's that have been mentioned. Was Portugal a haven for paedophiles?

20. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,428
    Medals:
    It's very strange that there would be as many sex offenders in that small area all at the same time. I seem to recall more than just the two German's that have been mentioned. Was Portugal a haven for paedophiles?