New Joan Collins profile from CBS Sunday Morning

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,168
    Medals:
    Nice little piece, until she tosses Forsythe under the bus at the end...

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,134
    Medals:
    I don't know I always feel there was an element of "Oh she's taking our show away from us" that an outsider had somehow taken over. Probably equally delighted that the show was doing great and they were getting paid but still resenting the fact that Joan had been the one to make it a hit, and that the show's focus ultimately shifted to her.
    I believe Joan is right when she says John didn't like her. There are other things that point to that. It's no secret that John and Linda were much closer. Joan wasn't that chummy with Linda, they just weren't the same type of person, and had no common interests.

But yea it was a nice piece but no new information was given. She really was absolutely stunning, so gorgeous and mesmerizing in her heyday and still great today. I could watch her all day.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,168
    Medals:
    I like Joan well enough, but I'm sure her behavior was what behooved Forsythe to dislike her. Any number of the cast have been …. ummm…. gently critical of that in Joan.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    Her behaviour later on may have been more uncollegial, but the reports of the first years on the show were that Forsythe was the one feeling threatened and being rather unpleasant, including giving her quite a tongue-lashing when she posed for Playboy in 83. Even though he did not confirm the tone of his accusations about her magazine spread, he did not deny that he had told her it was demeaning for the show. And he had made sure that was not kept between them also, but had leaked it to news outlets.

I think when she defends Alexis as some uber-feminist woman standing up for herself, she is deluded. The Alexis the writers created would have given up everything if Blake had taken her back. So yeah, there is a lot of Joan Collins self-aggrandizing in the interview, which is consistent with the diva-like attitude of later years--maybe after she got her raise and confirmed that she was the show's star (the one shutting down photographers from magazines approved to be on the set because she shouted "she had photo approval in her contract"). I don't know if she was truly a nice person, and I must say it makes no difference to me since I didn't work with her. But I don't believe that she is making up Forsythe's animosity toward her. And it has been reported from many more sources than just her even when the show was on.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,134
    Medals:
    From what I have read over the years Joan was very professional and cordial to all cast and crew during the first few years she was on the show. The only time I have heard of her behaving badly, if that's even the word? Was when she was going through the nightmare divorce with Peter Holm. Then of course her grumblings when she discovered she was having her episode count slashed for season 9. Which I can sort of understand. Yes we are giving you a raise, but we are also slashing your episode count.

But there just aren't those diva stories about Joan when she was on Dynasty. She didn't, so far as I have gleaned, cause trouble on set.

The People's Choice Award debacle makes John seem the one who was a bit of a diva.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Al Corley said it that some co-stars must have thought "wait a minute this our show" - but without Collins all of them would have been unemployed. Joan knew it and everybody else and when the focus shifted Pamela Sue left, Forsythe got angry about her "playboy" photos (did he had the same feelings about Pamela Sues and Lindas old Playboy photos? I don´t think so) and when she took the award first. I can imagine Joan showed it that she was the show and that caused trouble. In 1992 Forsythe said "the role she played she knew it very much because she played it her whole life". Would have loved to hear John´s comment when Joan didn´t show up for working at the beginning of S6 ... I can imagine he was happy that she got more money so the show was saved but he also was unhappy that she got what she wanted ...

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,770
    Medals:
    But did he ever mention her Jackie Collins movies? In the context of Dynasty's popularity I can sort of understand his reasoning i.e. an unnecessary sleaze-effect.

Of course, if she wanted to do the Playboy shoot she had to do it when they asked her. She couldn't afford to wait 10 or 20 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,674
    Medals:
    God she looks amazing for 85.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,770
    Medals:
    Many (most?) people change significantly when they grow older, Joan looks like an older version of her younger self (at the age of 85!!)

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,674
    Medals:
    Even if I do say so myself, I think I'm one of those people too. I don't look really that different now than I did 20 years ago, a few more lines sure, but pretty much the same. Which I certainly can't say for most of the people I run into that I went to school with. I guess Joan and I just have good genes. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,168
    Medals:
    Nader said Joan's behavior on the set was sometimes "hard to take" and that Forsythe thought her "self-absorption" wasn't good for the show (or, at least, the set). Diahann Carroll was more tactful in describing Joan as a "naughty little puppy." Terri Garber said you had to be careful or Joan would "eat you alive." A behind-the-scenes person said Joan didn't take Alexis home with her, but that she brought her to work in the morning. And Gordon Thomson said, derisively, that Joan "was very well cast."

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,770
    Medals:
    Maybe it's a little bit of everything? After all, they're Dynasty. What a bunch!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,168
    Medals:
    Yeah, I'm not suggesting Joan was a monster -- in fact, I'm sure she wasn't. But, Joan being Joan, it was probably a certain moodiness and silly little petty things here-and-there that got on people's nerves.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,770
    Medals:
    And what she said about him in the interview, you know, just because you can say it doesn't mean you have to say it. And he didn't even ask.
    A little dignity doesn't hurt anyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,134
    Medals:
    None of that is really that bad though is it? I'm sure as the show progressed and rose in the ratings that she did act a little bit the star and the diva, but then that's what the PR people wanted everyone to believe. And isn't that what happens with the break out star of every hit show? Look at Hagman on Dallas? Shannon Doherty on 90210? There are more cases I'm Sure. They fed the idea of Joan being as divatastic as Alexis. Just as they fed the idea of feuds with Linda or whoever. Really though she was quite professional, showed up, knew her lines, did her scenes and then repeat. Otherwise she wouldn't have been on the show for 8 seasons, and she wouldn't have been given that raise when she played hard ball and failed to turn up for season 6. They knew she was talented and dependable, they knew she was bankable. And she knew they knew that.

The quotes above are basically meaningless. Garber stating Joan "Would eat you alive" well what's the context? Would she eat you alive if you were late to set or didn't know your lines in a scene with her? Would she eat you alive if you gave her a terrible line or script? Who knows? Forsythe saying her "self absorption" wasn't good for the show is also meaningless, when the character she was playing was the ultimate in self absorption. And the DYNASTY PR people wanted to propel the idea that Joan and Alexis were exactly the same. I have heard Diahann saying Joan was like a naughty little puppy, but that never struck me as her talking about her on the set of Dynasty. That always struck me as in their friendship off set. A description of Joan's personality in general, not her work persona.

I don't think it's derisive to say Joan was very well cast. She absolutely was! She was Alexis before Alexis was ever written. She formed Alexis into something much more than what was ever on the page. I think most of the people on DYNASTY haven't said anything bad about her because they realise that they made a shit load of money off of her, and her being who and what she was at that time.

In Diahann Carroll's, Stephanie Beacham's and Kate O'Mara's books not one of them says a bad thing about Joan. The only thing about "bad" behaviour is said in Kate's book, she mentions a time when Joan was a bit emotional and snappy at the height of her divorce problems. She then goes on to say she doesn't know how Joan coped with the stress of it all and that she quickly regained composure and finished the scene. I don't have the exact quote but I have mentioned it before. Also Stephanie and Kate's books were written long after DYNASTY had ended.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,770
    Medals:
    But they're not Joan.

17. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,134
    Medals:
    Well obviously, but if Joan was such a bitch on set why hasn't it really been mentioned other than a few little tongue in cheek, wink at the camera nothings.

18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,770
    Medals:
    Maybe some actors think, what happens on the set stays on the set.
    Nobody's hating Joan Collins here, but she has her flaws.
    How she behaved during THE divorce may not have been super-professional but she's also human and sometimes we lash out or say/do things we shouldn't say/do.
    That's life, these things happen.

What I don't get is why she still feels the need to put down her ex-co-workers. It's such a long time ago...
    But then again, the older you get, the more vindictive:lol:. That's why old people are the most entertaining villains.

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,134
    Medals:
    Well to me she obviously felt she was slighted by Forsythe during her time on the show. Who knows the exact dynamic? It takes two to tango.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,770
    Medals:
    See? They really were Blake & Alexis! He said/she said...

• Like Like x 4