New beginnings - New to Falcon Crest

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by pete lashmar, May 3, 2018.

1. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +599
    Having watched DALLAS over & over I recently decided to hunt down Falcon Crest and finally I seem to have all the episodes.

I remember it being on in the UK in the afternoons but only ever saw it if I was off ill from school - but even back then I was a huge DALLAS fan, so always watched it when I could.

I watched The Vintage Years first - very odd animal of a show when you consider what it evolved into and am now on Family Reunion (episode 12) and absolutely thoroughly enjoying it.

I'm often very jealous of someone finding a show I love for the 1st time because I know of the joy & excitement there is to come - you can only get that surprise and delight the first time around, after that it's just sheer enjoyment.

Being able to binge watch it is fantastic too.

What instantly hit me was how Angela was from day one, there's no is she or isn't she covering/hiding/conniving etc it's all there - she is an absolute killer character and a breath of fresh air.

So looking forward to discovering this series after so long.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,056
    @pete lashmar you have some treats ahead. There are so many wonderful storylines, twists and characters to enjoy as the series progresses. It's great that you're enjoying it so far.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,204

I recently watched the whole series for the first time and had an absolute ball with the show. Like @Angela Channing posted, you're in for some incredible and exciting times. Do keep us posted on your journey.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. pete lashmar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +599
    Oh I will x

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  5. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Pete I’m glad you are finally getting to watch the Tuscany Valley wine saga. IMHO you should enjoy the show. FALCON CREST had a lot of ingredients to lure the viewer, in the show’s heyday. For a start you had all those vineyards; the main Victorian mansion, the Gioberti castle, the droll wit, Richard changing homes at nearly every farts end, the plethora of guest stars from Hollywood’s golden oldie era, the blood thirsty nature, the core cast lead by the formidable Jane Wyman and then there was the Catholic element.

After the show’s creator Earl Hamner relinquished his input post season 5 I feel the show’s identity for two years became a mixture of darkness and sitcom, which can of course be funny too. While not everyone’s cup of tea I thought the Freilich penned seasons (6 & 7) were entertaining. Season 8 started out promising until we had the Pilar Ortega show (Melissa’s replacement) and the ninth / final season IMHO wasn’t FALCON CREST, for the most part.

Let’s not forget it is nearly 11 years ago when Jane passed away and her co-star plus good friend Chao-Li Chi went into the other world in 2010. Of course all the many other guest stars too; Lana Turner, Cesar Romero, Father Curtis, Mel Ferrer, Edward Albert, Rod Taylor, Celeste Holm and Cliff Robertson.

Angela tells Lance that Chase and his family should be invited for dinner. They are going to live in the Gioberti castle mansion and the matriarch wants to treat them as friends. The Giobertis pull up to the mansion, in their station wagon. Angela, Julia, Lance and Chao-Li are on the veranda to meet and greet, (a scene from season 1, 1981-’82):

Angela: “Chase it’s so good to have you back!”

Chase: “Angela, it’s good to be here.”

They hug.

Angela: “Welcome to Falcon Crest!”

Chase: “Thank you!” He then looks over at the falcon Apollo on his perch and says, “I haven’t seen one of these in a long time.”

Angela: “Isn’t he a beauty?”

Angela: “Maggie! I hope it wasn’t too long a drive.”

Maggie: “Nice to see you! Oh, not too bad, not too bad.”

Angela: “And you’re Cole. Well he’s not a little boy. He’s a grown man.”

Cole: “It’s really quite beautiful here, nothing like New York.”

Angela: “I certainly hope not. Victoria! Welcome darling!”

Victoria: “Thank you!”

Angela: “This is my daughter Julia.”

Julia smiles at them and waits for her next order from mother dearest.

Angela: “Chase you have a beautiful family.”

Chase: “Oh thank you! I think so.”

Angela: “Julia why don’t you take them in and pour some of your favourite wine? I’ll be in, in a moment.”

Chase: “Sounds good.”

Lance: “Grandmother.”

He leaves Angela standing on the veranda, looking at Apollo.

Angela leaves the bird outside. Dramatic music commences.

Camera freezes on the falcon.

Fade to black, closing credits and the theme tune.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +317
    Pete Lashmar I hope you enjoy the best FC has to offer. Mostly a crazy ride but a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +296
    While FC completed the 80's super soaps quartet to me their cliffhangers topped the others. The setting was just lovely and all those old Hollywood stars guesting was another distinction. Who is favourite character at the moment, Pete?

• Like Like x 2
  8. pete lashmar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +599
    Well I have to say I love Angela most because I just love the conniving. But I also adore Emma and Richard is a fantastic character too.

Melissa & Lance are characters that I really don't like, but that's what they're there for and without them the show wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun.

Chase, Maggie, Cole - all OK but too goody goody for me really.

I'm half way through season 4 at the moment (after just a couple of weeks) and it really does take it's twists & turns, not least with Julia. Absolutely loving it.

Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 8:50 PM
    • Like Like x 3