1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mount Royal

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Carrie Fairchild, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    I stumbled across a reference to this show when I was reading about Search For Tomorrow actress Domini Blythe. Apparently it was Canada's attempt at Dynasty and was shot in both Canada and Paris. The one set of promos that I could find look like your standard soap fare and the production values look on par with it's US counterparts. Did anyone watch this show?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Royal_(TV_series)?wprov=sfla1

2. Carrie Fairchild

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    After reading this description, I want to watch this show even more now.

The fashion show, staged in a circus tent beside the Eiffel Tower, features fur-wrapped models parading down a transparent ramp erected over cages of pacing tigers. While a transvestite prances on a platform, and a pair of musclemen with live pythons wrapped around their necks crack whips, Stefanie struts down the ramp clad in a revealing fox-fur halter top and a black leather miniskirt. Moments later she is kidnapped and whisked off to a country estate. But she is a willing accomplice: the kidnapper is her latest lover, an animal rights terrorist.

https://archive.macleans.ca/article/1988/2/1/the-sexy-wealthy-world-of-mount-royal

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Carrie Fairchild

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    OK, so I've discovered that Amazon Prime has all 16 episodes on it's video service. I don't have a subscription but I might sign up for the free trial and give Mount Royal a binge. Or at least watch the Eiffel Tower fashion show kidnap fandango episode.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Now that's a find, I wouldn't have imagined it would be legitimately available to stream! I'm nearing the end of Sons and Daughters so I might line this up next...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carrie Fairchild

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    May I ask, how long has it taken you to get through Sons and Daughters? I love the show so I have considered watching it all but at 900+ episodes, it's quite a daunting task.

6. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +94
    By the time I finish it'll be 15 months or so and that's admittedly with some liberal use of the FF button which increased for the last 150 episodes or so - a new producer takes over and the quality really nosedives.

I don't regret starting it at all though (having had the same reservations to start with). The first couple of seasons were some of the best soap I've ever seen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. xab

xab Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +259
    I remember watching it on french tv on saturday night when I was a teenager. Honestly it was boring... No wonder it only aired for 16 episodes... Dull characters... Dull storyline... A cheap and dynastyless dynasty...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Carrie Fairchild

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    That's good going. I watched the first 30 or so (a few years ago now) and it was an excellent example of soap writing at it's best. Someday, I might try and watch the Pat The Rat era which would bring me up to around 500+ episodes.