Mount Royal

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Carrie Fairchild, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,815
    Medals:
    I stumbled across a reference to this show when I was reading about Search For Tomorrow actress Domini Blythe. Apparently it was Canada's attempt at Dynasty and was shot in both Canada and Paris. The one set of promos that I could find look like your standard soap fare and the production values look on par with it's US counterparts. Did anyone watch this show?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Royal_(TV_series)?wprov=sfla1

2. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,815
    Medals:
    After reading this description, I want to watch this show even more now.

The fashion show, staged in a circus tent beside the Eiffel Tower, features fur-wrapped models parading down a transparent ramp erected over cages of pacing tigers. While a transvestite prances on a platform, and a pair of musclemen with live pythons wrapped around their necks crack whips, Stefanie struts down the ramp clad in a revealing fox-fur halter top and a black leather miniskirt. Moments later she is kidnapped and whisked off to a country estate. But she is a willing accomplice: the kidnapper is her latest lover, an animal rights terrorist.

https://archive.macleans.ca/article/1988/2/1/the-sexy-wealthy-world-of-mount-royal

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,815
    Medals:
    OK, so I've discovered that Amazon Prime has all 16 episodes on it's video service. I don't have a subscription but I might sign up for the free trial and give Mount Royal a binge. Or at least watch the Eiffel Tower fashion show kidnap fandango episode.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Now that's a find, I wouldn't have imagined it would be legitimately available to stream! I'm nearing the end of Sons and Daughters so I might line this up next...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,815
    Medals:
    May I ask, how long has it taken you to get through Sons and Daughters? I love the show so I have considered watching it all but at 900+ episodes, it's quite a daunting task.

6. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +93
    By the time I finish it'll be 15 months or so and that's admittedly with some liberal use of the FF button which increased for the last 150 episodes or so - a new producer takes over and the quality really nosedives.

I don't regret starting it at all though (having had the same reservations to start with). The first couple of seasons were some of the best soap I've ever seen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. xab

xab Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +248
    I remember watching it on french tv on saturday night when I was a teenager. Honestly it was boring... No wonder it only aired for 16 episodes... Dull characters... Dull storyline... A cheap and dynastyless dynasty...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,815
    Medals:
    That's good going. I watched the first 30 or so (a few years ago now) and it was an excellent example of soap writing at it's best. Someday, I might try and watch the Pat The Rat era which would bring me up to around 500+ episodes.