Most iconic costumes

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by nolanmillercollector, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +195
    It looks so different,on Dynasty it looks violet and white.Do you have the turban too?

• Like Like x 2
  2. nolanmillercollector

nolanmillercollector Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Yes, the bright studio lights change the appearance of some of these costumes. Under the studio lights the white velvet is more reflective and dominates the coloration of the gown, where as in natural light the gold pattern really stands out!

Same thing with a gold Alexis gown I've posted. Before I actually had the gown I assumed it was solid gold lame. But in actuality its black fabric woven with gold metallic thread in a pattern (same gold thread as the Dominique gown). Under bright lights it just looks metallic gold. In other light you can see the swirling pattern.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,651
    Medals:
    So what size is that gown? Like UK sizes? Is it a UK 6 or an 8? That's pretty small but seeing as Diahann had a great figure, as in bust, small waist and hips I cant see her being smaller than a 6? Or was she? This stuff fascinates me. I remember you posted the sizes of the DYNASTY ladies on the old forum but I cant remember now.

4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,651
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nolanmillercollector

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Diahann was a UK size 8, Joan was a UK size 8, and Linda was a UK size 8-10. Joan in particular, always wore a corset if it wasn't built into the gown (as many were built in.)

I definitely have some more pics I need to take of newer costumes, but you have seen the bulk of my collection! :) The 6 Joan gowns, Diahann gown, Diahann fur outfit, Joan red suit and hat, and a few sketches. I'm hoping to acquire more of all the above but especially a Linda gown! Only have a Linda sketch in my collection, no costumes yet.

• Like Like x 3
  6. nolanmillercollector

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    This is the Alexis suit and hat on Joan.

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mike

Mike Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +195
    nolanmillercollector,Did you get the turban too?

8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,651
    Medals:
    Amazing collection! I hope you do get to get a Linda gown or outfit too. She wore so many on the show, just like Joan so some must be out there.
    I would have thought that's what the sizes would have been for the ladies. Joan and Diahann an 8 and Linda an 8-10. I would think Stephanie Beacham and Kate O'Mara would also be size 8 too.
    Again this is a great thread and totally fascinating.

9. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,651
    Medals:
    I just found this picture of Linda in a blue Nolan Miller beaded gown that she didn't ever wear on DYNASTY as far as I recall. Does anyone know anything about this gown? It has the same floral pattern that is on a white Krystle gown from season 3 or 4 I think. Also the same floral pattern used on Barbara Stanwyck's Colbys opening credit. I have never saw this blue dress before.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Medals:
    DANG-BANG-A-DING-DONG! ....ahem. :embarrassed: What an absolutely gorgeous dress! It suits Linda *perfectly*! I think after the white dress, this should have been used for her opening credit in seasons 4-6. ...And it should be the dress she wears when she has a catfight with Alexis in season 4... the cake/pie-throwing fight they have in the Carrington kitchen! :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  11. nolanmillercollector

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Alexis, yes! That is another gorgeous gown by Nolan Miller that Linda wore but not on Dynasty. Linda wore it to one of the many People's Choice Awards where she won Favorite Actress. Surprisingly Linda won 6 times in a row and Joan only won once (tied with Linda.)

This gown is stunning on her. Great cut for her body and the color matches her eyes. Similar to another gorgeous gown you mentioned that Linda wore to awards and for Dynasty promo pics but not on the show. Cream colored with floral appliqués.

• Like Like x 2
  12. nolanmillercollector

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Here's the People's Choice video with the blue gown.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,651
    Medals:
    I think Linda's public appeal and the popularity of Krystle at the time gets underestimated and overshadowed by Joan Collins sometimes. As you say she won 6 times and Joan only won once. She was kind of America's Sweetheart at the time wasn't she?

• Like Like x 1
  14. nolanmillercollector

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I guess the proof is in all the awards Linda won. I am too young to know Dynasty while it was happening, but in current times Joan's Alexis way surpasses Linda's Krystle in terms of which character and actress is more famous and what Dynasty is known for. I'd be curious if anyone who was around when Dynasty airs, could tell us if Krystle really was way favored over Alexis?

Surprises me Joan won only one People's Choice to Linda's six.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,651
    Medals:
    I have recently been re-watching The Colbys and just saw that gown last night. It really does look very different in real life. I was wondering is the bust part wired? And is there any corsetry inside the gown. It looks so flowing and free but I was thinking there must be more structure built into it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,651
    Medals:
    I also have to mention that Sable's wardrobe on The Colbys is just fabulous. Where are all those outfits? lol

• Like Like x 3
  17. nolanmillercollector

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Alexis, I have yet to see the episode with my Dominique gown! Lol. But I did have a friend send me a few clips recorded on his cell phone... You are right, the bust part is wired to keep its form, and the torso is corseted. The bottom of the dress is also weighted all around the hem, as the fabric is very light weight material.

You know, I have only ever seen 2 Sable costumes for sale and both were nightgowns! Stephanie herself was trying to sell a few costumes herself at one point, Ive seen the pics, but not sure what became of that. The purple satin hostess dress (with pants underneath), the teal suede skirt, jacket, boots outfit, and a similar outfit I didn't recognize with orange suede.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,425
    Medals:
    Season 9 was so glamorous.

upload_2017-3-30_20-27-40.png

upload_2017-3-30_20-27-59.png

• Like Like x 4
  19. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,651
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 2
  20. nolanmillercollector

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Krystle wore the black and gold outfit Alexis wore in season, but for promo pics and minus the hat. There weren't really any full length gowns in season 9... I think the most glamorous seasons were 4-7. Especially seasons 4 and 5. Joan had a different formal gown in almost every episode!

• Like Like x 1