Monroe-esque

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ClassyCo, Mar 30, 2019.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Let's kick-start a thread discussing those women placed in the Marilyn Monroe mold either in Monroe's lifetime, or some time thereafter.

There were, apparently, a multitude of women that could be grouped in the category, so let's see what we got here. Is there any of them that stand out particularly to you?

upload_2019-3-29_21-44-10.png

Did any of them offer any real competition, or were they all just would-be hopefuls that failed to live up to their hype?

2. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Marilyn Monroe is one of Hollywood's most iconic actresses. Her appeal was certainly intriguing during her heyday, and her home studio, Twentieth Century-Fox, was eager to capitalize on their success with her. They saw her as their successor to Betty Grable, who had been the studio's biggest commodity in the forties, but had dried up by the early fifties. Monroe eventually became a bigger overall star than Grable ever dreamed of being, and rival studios wanted their own version of the blonde beauty that dominated the cuddly and often dingy starring roles in their properties.

Universal-International Pictures was probably the first studio to want their own Monroe, even before Monroe was a major film star herself. Evidently, Universal saw what was blossoming on the Fox lot, and they snatched up a beauty of their own. Newcomer Joan Olander was rechristened Mamie Van Doren, and she was given the star treatment at Universal. Columbia Pictures initially had Cleo Moore in the mold, but her eventual niche for headlining B-film noirs triggered the studio to bring in Kim Novak to fill the Monroe-inspired bill. Paramount Pictures imported the Swedish Anita Ekberg as their breezy and foreign-accented blonde beauty, while Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, the Tiffany studio of the Golden Age, seemed to be the studio with the least amount of interest in the trend, although they briefly contracted Barbara Lang to fulfill their minor interest in entering the blonde bombshell frenzy.

Twentieth Century-Fox, Monroe's home studio, itself hired actresses to stand-in for her once she began demanding scripts more rewarding of her talents. Sheree North was the first, who was brought in once Monroe started turning down the stereotypical roles that had famed her. North tried to fill the bill, and she appeared in a handful of decently received minor classics, before being sidelined when Jayne Mansfield was picked up by Fox. Mansfield was Monroe's only true threat, but her over-publicity and the studio's refusal to broaden her range theatrically rendered her a has-been by the early sixties, and her career never recovered.

I wanted to post a mini-summary about some of the ladies I wished to discuss in this thread, and I will get back to going through with detailing them further in the future. I hope the rest of you get on board with me on this one because I think we could enter into some interesting discussion.

3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47804616

The last six months of Marilyn Monroe's life are to be retold in a new drama from the writer of BBC One's Trust Me.

The series will explore the actress's relationship with Hollywood studio bosses and US President John F Kennedy.

BBC Studios is developing the series with writer Dan Sefton and producer Simon Lupton, of Seven Seas Films.

Sefton, whose medical drama Trust Me returns this year, said he was "thrilled... to bring this incredible true story to the screen."

Monroe, star of such films as Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Seven Year Itch and Some Like It Hot, died in August 1962 at the age of 36.

Her death, attributed to an overdose of sleeping pills, has been the subject of much controversy and speculation ever since.

The series, with the working title The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe, will be based on parts of Keith Badman's 2010 book The Final Years of Marilyn Monroe.

[​IMG]

4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Medals:
    Jean Harlow and Jayne Mansfield springs to mind. :)
    Jean Harlow was obviously before Marilyn Monroe though. But they were all similar blonde types and sadly they all died early too. :(

5. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +643
    I see the angle you're going at there, but as you said, Harlow was before Monroe. In fact, when Harlow died 1937, the pre-fame Monroe was only eleven years old and living in foster homes. Monroe was a huge fan of Harlow, and she frequently vocalized her desire to play her favorite actress in a biopic, although the opportunity never bore fruition.

Mansfield, on the other hand, was most definitely Monroe-esque. She was Monroe on steroids, hence the "Marilyn Monroe king-sized" nickname she had tagged on her even before she was signed to Fox.

6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    Diana Dors, of cors.

[​IMG]

7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Medals:
    Too bad that movie never happened. I think Marilyn Monroe would have been fab in it.

8. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Naturally, the British alternative to Monroe. I've heard her nicknamed "The English Marilyn Monroe" and "The English Jayne Mansfield". Evidently, she fits both bills.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  9. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +643
    I agree. Monroe's infatuation with Harlow would have heightened the believability of her performance.

Apparently, many different blonde actresses were slated, or publicized as being considered, to star in a biopic on Harlow's life. Fellow Fox actress Jayne Mansfield and Columbia contract player Cleo Moore were among those touted, before the story was later unsuccessfully produced with both Carroll Baker and Carole Lynley.