Countdown Michael Jackson's Best Selling Songs in the UK

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ome, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    I thought we could take a look at Michael Jackson’s musical career and countdown his Top 60 biggest singles in the UK, based on physical singles, digital downloads and audio stream up to June 2018.

60. Lookin' Through The Windows – Jackson 5

"Lookin' Through the Windows" is a song written by Clifton Davis released as a single by The Jackson 5 in 1972 from the album Lookin' Through the Windows. Produced by Hal Davis, it peaked at No. 9 in the UK charts and No. 16 on the Billboard Hot 100.

59. Doctor My Eyes – Jackson 5

“Doctor, My Eyes" is a 1972 song written and performed by Jackson Browne. The Jackson 5 recorded "Doctor My Eyes" on their 1972 Lookin' Through the Windows album, and the song was released as a single in Europe, where it became a Top 10 hit for them, peaking at No. 9 in the UK charts

2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    58. State of Shock - Jacksons, Mick Jagger & Michael Jackson

"State of Shock" is a 1984 hit single by the Jacksons featuring frontman Michael Jackson and Mick Jagger. It was written by Jackson and Randy Hansen, a guitarist. "State of Shock" charted at number 3 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number 14 on the UK Singles Chart. The track was originally to be sung with Freddie Mercury as a duet with Jackson, and was later slated for the Thriller album; however, due to differing time schedules, Jackson ended up recording it with his brothers and Jagger.

57. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5

"Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town"[1] is a Christmas song, written by John Frederick Coots and Haven Gillespie and was first sung on Eddie Cantor's radio show in November 1934.

In 1970 The Jackson 5 included the song on their best-selling album Jackson 5 Christmas Album where it peaked at no. 43 in the UK charts

3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    56. Jam – Michael Jackson

"Jam" is a single by American singer-songwriter Michael Jackson. The song is the fourth single from his 1991 album Dangerous, where it is the opening track. It peaked at No. 13 in the UK charts

55. Another Part of Me – Michael Jackson

"Another Part of Me" is a song by American recording artist Michael Jackson. Produced by Quincy Jones (and co-produced by Jackson), it was released as the sixth single on July 11, 1988 for the singer's seventh studio album, Bad (1987). It peaked at No. 15 in the UK chart

4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    54. Who Is It – Michael Jackson

"Who Is It" is a song by American recording artist Michael Jackson. It was released by Epic Records on August 31, 1992, as the fifth single from Jackson's eighth studio album, Dangerous (1991). It peaked at No. 10 in the UK charts

53. Human Nature – Michael Jackson

"Human Nature" is a 1982 song performed by American singer Michael Jackson, and the fifth single from his landmark sixth solo album, Thriller. It was originally written by keyboardist Steve Porcaro, based on a conversation he had had with his young daughter Heather after a hard day at school. Porcaro, along with some of his bandmates from the band Toto, had been assisting with the production of Thriller, but he had not intended for "Human Nature" to be used by Jackson. However, Thriller producer Quincy Jones inadvertently heard a demo version of the track and thought it would be a great fit for the album. Jones then brought in songwriter John Bettis to rewrite the verses, whose lyrics are about a passerby in New York City. The track was produced by Jones and performed by members of Toto with Michael Jackson providing vocals. The song was not released in the UK, however, through streaming, it peaked at No. 62 in the UK charts

5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    52. The Love You Save – Jackson 5

"The Love You Save" is a 1970 number-one hit single recorded by The Jackson 5 for Motown Records. It held the number-one spot on the soul singles chart for six weeks and the number-one position on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart for two weeks, from June 27 to July 4, 1970 (in the UK Top 40 chart, it peaked at number 7 in August 1970). The song is the third of the four-in-a-row Jackson 5 number-ones released (the others were "I Want You Back", "ABC", and "I'll Be There"). Billboard ranked the record as the No. 16 song of 1970, one slot behind the Jackson 5's "ABC"

51. Liberian Girl – Michael Jackson

"Liberian Girl" was the ninth single released from American recording artist Michael Jackson's 1987 album Bad. The song was written as early as 1983 and was among those considered for The Jacksons' Victory album. It was reworked and rewritten for Bad with a Jungle theme, until later going to the Theme used in the final track. The song was released as a single in Europe and Australia. The song peaked at No. 13 in the UK charts

6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    50. Ain't No Sunshine – Michael Jackson

Ain't No Sunshine is one of Michael Jackson's songs in the album, Got to Be There. It's a cover version by Michael Jackson with the original artist being Bill Withers. Michael Jackson's cover was released in January 1972 in the U.S. and May 1972 in the U.K. This song was produced by The Corporation. It peaked at No. 8 in the UK charts.

49. Who's Lovin' You – Jackson 5

"Who's Lovin' You" is a Motown soul song, written in 1960 by William "Smokey" Robinson.

The most famous version is attributed to The Jackson 5. Twelve-year-old singer Shaheen Jafargholi performed the song at Michael Jackson's public memorial service in July 2009.

On May 2, 2009, the song debuted at No. 54 in UK Official Singles Chart, and peaked at No.36 in July 2009

7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    48. In The Closet – Michael Jackson

It was released on April 9, 1992 as the third single from his eighth album, Dangerous (1991). The song was written and produced by Jackson and Teddy Riley. It became the album's third consecutive top ten pop single, reaching number six on the US Billboard Hot 100. It also became its second number one R&B single. The song re-entered the UK Singles Chart at number 20 in 2006

"In the Closet" was originally conceived as a duet between Jackson and Madonna. According to a 1992 interview with British journalist Jonathan Ross, Madonna said she worked on some lyrical ideas for the song but when she presented them to Michael, he decided they were too provocative and they decided not to continue with the project

It peaked at No. 8 in May 92

47. Got To Be There – Michael Jackson

"Got to Be There" is the debut single written by Elliot Willensky for American recording artist Michael Jackson, whose original version was released as his first solo single in 1971 on Motown Records.

The single became an immediate success, reaching number one on Cashbox's pop and R&B singles charts, while reaching number four on Billboard's pop and R&B singles charts. Released to select European countries, it also found success, reaching number five in the UK

8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    46. Will You Be There – Michael Jackson

"Will You Be There" is a song by Michael Jackson which was released in 1993. The song is the eighth single from the 1991 album Dangerous. The song also appeared on the soundtrack to the film Free Willy, of which it is the main theme. With the album version clocking in at seven minutes and forty seconds, it is the longest song in Michael Jackson's solo discography.

It peaked at No. 9 in July 93

45. Why - 3T featuring Michael Jackson

"Why" is a song by 3T. It was written by Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds and produced by Michael Jackson. This single comes from the album Brotherhood and it was released in 1996. The song was selected to be part of Jackson's ninth album HIStory, but it was taken out and Jackson decided to give it away to his nephews. This song was well received in European and Asian charts.

It peaked at No. 2 in Aug 86

9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    44. Walk Right Now – Jacksons

"Walk Right Now" is a 1981 song written, produced and performed by the Jacksons and issued as the fourth and final single from the group's popular album, Triumph.

The song was written by Michael Jackson, Jackie Jackson and Randy Jackson and was a song in which a man was fed up with his lover's excuses about how they can resolve their relationship despite the woman's acts of infidelity towards him, therefore delivering the message, "walk right now/I'm not playing" in a chant-like phrase.

When released, the song performed only modestly on US pop radio, peaking at a number seventy-three, but the song became a hit in the UK, where it peaked at number seven on the UK pop charts.

43. History / Ghosts – Michael Jackson

"HIStory" is a 1995 song by Michael Jackson. The original version of "HIStory" was released as a track on Jackson's 1995 studio album HIStory, but was never released as a single. "HIStory" was composed by Michael Jackson, James Harris III and Terry Lewis before it was remixed by Tony Moran in 1997. The original version contained many historic audio clips and samples. The remix does not have the audio clips and samples. The remix was released as part of the single release "HIStory"/"Ghosts", a double A-side single from Michael Jackson's 1997 remix album Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix, with "Ghosts" as a brand new recording.

The single peaked at No. 5 in July 97

10. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    42. Farewell My Summer Love – Michael Jackson

From the album of the same name Farewell My Summer Love is a compilation of archived Michael Jackson recordings from January to September 1973. The album was released by Motown Records in the U.S. on May 15, 1984.

The song peaked at No.7 in June 84

41. Hold My Hand - Michael Jackson featuring AKON

"Hold My Hand" is a duet performed by American recording artist Michael Jackson and Senegalese-American singer-songwriter Akon, from Jackson's first posthumous album Michael.[1] The song was originally recorded by Akon and Jackson in 2008.

It peaked at No. 10 in November 2010

11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    40. Stranger in Moscow – Michael Jackson

The song was released worldwide in November 1996, but was not released in the United States until August 1997 by Epic Records. The track was written by Jackson in September 1993, at the height of the highly publicized child abuse accusations made against him, while on the Dangerous World Tour stop in Moscow. It was originally written as a poem by Jackson, then adapted into a song.

It peaked at No. 4 in Nov 96

39. Blood on the Dancefloor – Michael Jackson

"Blood on the Dance Floor" is a song by American recording artist Michael Jackson. The song was released as the first single from the remix album Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix. Jackson and Teddy Riley created the track in time for the 1991 release of Dangerous. However, it did not appear on that record and was minimally altered before commercial release in 1997. The song is about a predatory woman by the name of Susie, who seduces Jackson before plotting to stab him with a knife. The composition explores a variety of genres ranging from funk and new jack swing

The song peaked at No. 1 in May 97

12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    38. The Girl Is Mine - Michael Jackson & Paul McCartney

The track was written by Jackson and produced by Jackson and Quincy Jones. It was released as the first single for Jackson's sixth solo album, Thriller (1982)

"The Girl Is Mine" achieved success in the music charts. Aside from topping the R&B singles chart, the single peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 and number eight in the UK. By 1985, it had sold 1.3 million copies, and was eventually certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America, for shipments of at least one million units. Despite the song's success, it received generally mixed reviews from critics who consider it to be the weakest song on Thriller.

37. Ben - Michael Jackson

"Ben" is a song written by Don Black and composed by Walter Scharf for the 1972 film of the same name (the sequel to the 1971 killer rat film Willard). It was performed in the film by Lee Montgomery and by Michael Jackson over the closing credits. Jackson's single, recorded for the Motown label in 1972, spent one week at the top of the U.S. pop chart. Billboard ranked it as the No. 20 song for 1972. It also reached number one on the Australian pop chart, spending eight weeks at the top spot. The song also later reached a peak of number seven on the British pop chart. In 2004 song appeared in The Ultimate Collection

"Ben" won a Golden Globe for Best Song. It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1973, losing to "The Morning After" by Maureen McGovern from The Poseidon Adventure; Jackson performed the song in front of a live audience at the ceremony. The song was Jackson's first U.S. #1 solo hit.

13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    36. Give In To Me – Michael Jackson

"Give In to Me" is the tenth track on Michael Jackson's 1991 studio album Dangerous. The single peaked at number one in New Zealand for four consecutive weeks, and at number two on the UK Singles Chart. Stylistically, "Give In to Me" is a hard rock ballad which featured Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash. Some suggest that the song, also considered a heavy metal ballad, has an aggressive sexual flavor. The single was released in Europe, Australia and New Zealand only. The single release's B-sides include the album versions of "Dirty Diana" and "Beat It".

35. Scream - Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson

"Scream", is a duet with his younger sister Janet Jackson.

"Scream" is cited primarily as an aggressive, retaliatory song directed at the tabloid media and their coverage of the child sexual abuse accusations made against Michael Jackson in 1993. "Scream" was written, composed and produced by Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, Michael Jackson and Janet Jackson; Michael played many of the instruments. It incorporates elements of pop, R&B, electrorock, new jack swing, dance-pop, and funk. Recording for Scream took place at the Hit Factory in New York City in October 1994 and at Flyte Tyme Studios in Edina, Minnesota in December 1994. The song was leaked to radio stations early, despite Epic Records' attempt to keep it off air until the official release date

The song peaked at No. 3 in June 95

14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    34. Off The Wall – Michael Jackson

"Off the Wall" is a song by American singer Michael Jackson, from his fifth album of the same name (1979). It was written by English songwriter Rod Temperton and produced by Quincy Jones, and released as the album's third single on February 2, 1980, by Epic Records. The song was first offered to Karen Carpenter, while she was working on her first solo album, but she turned it down

The song peaked at No. 7 in Nov 79

33. I'll Be There – Jackson 5

The song was recorded by The Jackson 5 and released by Motown Records on August 28, 1970 as the first single from their Third Album on the same date. Produced by the songwriters, "I'll Be There" was The Jackson 5's fourth number one hit in a row (after "I Want You Back" in 1969, "ABC" and "The Love You Save" earlier in 1970), making them the first black male group to achieve four consecutive number one pop hits. "I'll Be There" is also notable as the most successful single released by Motown during its "Detroit era" (1959–72).

The song peaked at No. 4 in Nov 70

15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    32. Wanna Be Startin' Something – Michael Jackson

It is the opening track of the album and was released as its fourth single on May 8, 1983 by Epic Records. The song was written, composed by Jackson and produced by Quincy Jones (with Jackson as co-producer).

The song's lyrics pertain to strangers spreading rumors to start an argument for no good reason. Musically, "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" evokes the disco sound of Jackson's previous studio album, Off the Wall, released in 1979. The song is characterized by a complex rhythm arrangement and a distinctive horn arrangement. "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" has been covered and sampled by multiple recording artists since its release. Aside from Thriller, the song appears on multiple compilation and greatest hits albums by Jackson.

The song peaked at No. 8 in June 83

31. You Rock My World – Michael Jackson

"You Rock My World" is a song by American singer Michael Jackson from his tenth and final studio album released during his lifetime,

"You Rock My World" peaked at number ten on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Jackson's first top ten song in the United States in over six years, and his last in the country until "Love Never Felt So Good" (a duet with Justin Timberlake) hit number 9 in 2014.

The song peaked at No. 2 in Oct 01

16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    30. Rockin' Robin – Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson recorded his own version of "Rockin' Robin" in 1972, which was released as a single from his gold-certified solo album titled Got to Be There. It was the biggest hit from the album, hitting No. 1 on the Cash Box singles chart and peaking at No. 2 on both the Billboard Hot 100 and R&B charts.

It peaked at No. 3 in May 72

29. Leave Me Alone – Michael Jackson

"Leave Me Alone" is a song by American artist Michael Jackson from his seventh studio album, Bad (1987). In February 1989, it was released as the eighth single from the album, though only outside the United States and Canada. "Leave Me Alone" was recorded during the original album sessions but the song only appeared on the CD editions of Bad as a bonus track, as well as on the 2001 cassette edition. The song was written and composed by Jackson and produced by Quincy Jones (with Jackson as co-producer).

Despite the success of the single, the song never appeared on any of Jackson's world concert tours.

It peaked at No. 2 in Feb 89

17. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    28. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) – Michael Jackson

"P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" was released on September 19, 1983, as the penultimate single from Thriller. The single charted at number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 and no. 46 on the Hot Black Singles chart, becoming the sixth Top 10 hit from the album. In the UK, the song reached a peak position of 11. The single was most successful in Belgium, charting within the Top 10 at no. 6. The song has been covered and sampled by numerous artists, including Monica, Justin Guarini and Kanye West. The original demo was also remixed by The Black Eyed Peas singer will.i.am for Thriller 25.

The song was never performed live by Jackson. In a rehearsal for the Dangerous World Tour, however, Jackson sang a small part of the demo version, describing it as "something I wrote that I haven't recorded yet."

27. Can You Feel It – Jacksons

"Can You Feel It" is a recording by American group the Jacksons, recorded in March 1980 and released as the third single from their album Triumph.

Written by brothers Michael and Jackie, the song featured solo leads by Randy and Michael. Released as a single in 1981, the song reached #77 on the pop charts and number thirty on the R&B charts in United States, but reached number six in the UK and number two in the Netherlands in 1981

18. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    26. Rock With You – Michael Jackson

It was written by English songwriter Rod Temperton and produced by Quincy Jones. It was first offered to Karen Carpenter, while she was working on her first solo album, but she turned it down. It was released on November 3, 1979 as the second single from Jackson's fifth solo album, Off the Wall (1979). It was also the third number one hit of the 1980s, a decade whose pop singles chart would soon be dominated by Jackson.

It peaked at No. 7 in Feb 80

25. Remember the Time / Come Together – Michael Jackson

"Remember the Time" was a successful attempt by Jackson to create a dance-oriented, new jack swing-flavored jam with the assistance of co-producer Riley. The song's lyrics are written about remembering having fallen in love with someone.

"Remember the Time" was generally well received by contemporary critics. The song was commercially successful, peaking at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart and number one on the Billboard R&B singles chart. Internationally, the song was a top ten hit in nine countries, peaking at number one in New Zealand, at two in Spain and three in the United Kingdom. The song reached the top ten in all major territories. A nine-minute music video directed by John Singleton, marketed as a "short film", was released for the song. The video is set in Ancient Egypt and features appearances of Jackson, Eddie Murphy, Iman, Tommy "Tiny" Lister and Magic Johnson

19. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    24. Dirty Diana – Michael Jackson

"Dirty Diana" is a song by American artist Michael Jackson. It is the ninth track on Jackson's seventh studio album, Bad. The song was released by Epic Records on April 18, 1988 as the fifth single from the album. It presents a harder rock sound similar to "Beat It" from Thriller (1982) and a guitar solo played by Steve Stevens. "Dirty Diana" was written and co-produced by Jackson, and produced by Quincy Jones. The song's lyrics pertain to groupies. "Dirty Diana" has a moderate tempo and is played in the key of G minor.

It peaked at No. 4 in July 88

23. They Don't Care About Us – Michael Jackson

The song remains one of the most controversial pieces Jackson ever composed. In the US, media scrutiny surrounding allegations of antisemitic lyrics were the catalyst for Jackson issuing multiple apologies and re-recording the song with altered lyrics. The singer countered allegations of antisemitism, arguing that reviews had misinterpreted the context of the song, either unintentionally or deliberately.

It peaked at No.4 in April 96

20. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    22. Blame It on the Boogie – Jacksons

"Blame It on the Boogie" is a song originally released in 1978 by English singer-songwriter Mick Jackson, then The Jacksons, and later covered by numerous artists. The song was performed on Musikladen (January, 1979), Aplauso (February, 1979), Sonja Goed Nieuw's Show (2 February 1979) and ABBA Special: Disco in the Snow Part 1.

It peaked at No. 8 in Sept 78

21. Shake Your Body (Down To the Ground) – Jacksons

The most successful of the Jacksons' recordings for Epic, "Shake Your Body" (originally demoed as "Shake a Body") was produced by the Jackson brothers, written by Randy and Michael, and featured Michael on lead vocals. The chorus "let's dance/let's shout (shout)/shake your body down to the ground" was inspired by an ad-lib from Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up": "Let's dance/let's shout (shout)/gettin' funky's what it's all about" and the rhythmic pattern from Teddy Pendergrass's "Get Up, Get Down, Get Funky, Get Loose" (from his album Life Is a Song Worth Singing, released a couple of months previously).

It peaked at No. 4 in March 79

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)