1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emmerdale Mentioned First, Seen Later

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by emm1978, Apr 1, 2017.

1. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Watching old episodes of Emmerdale from all years, I noticed that some characters were often mentioned first before actually appearing on screen.

The Merricks, Verneys and Gimbels were mentioned in the early days before appearing on screen.

In 1980, Richard Anstey was mentioned by Maurice Westrop before he appeared.

Bill Whiteley was mentioned several times in 1987 when vet Ruth Pennington was driving over to his farm on a call out. Bill appeared on screen for the first time in February 1989.

I seem to recall that the Tates were mentioned in the Summer of 1989 when Jackie Merrick was doing a driving job for them to France, before appearing in November that year.

The Dingles were mentioned by Zoe Tate in 1994 before appearing.

Anyone know of any more?

2. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,809
    Medals:
    I seem to recall that the Hutchinson family were affected by the 1993 plane crash, but that Lynn Hutchinson didn't appear until 1997, not sure if they were the same family could be a coincidence.

3. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +57
    If I remember right, the Hutchinsons from 1997 onwards came from Bradford. Lynn did first appear in 1997, followed by her mum Heather, sister Kirsty and granddad Jed Outhwaite. They didn't live in the village until 1998 when they became temporary residents of The Woolpack after losing their home in Bradford.