Melrose Place Melrose Place Season 5.

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Alexis, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    I am trying to get my hands on the complete season 5 of Melrose Place. However it seems to only be available in split volumes. Although season 6 and 7 are available as complete seasons.

I have tried eBay, Amazon, Zavvi and cant seem to find it anywhere. I could have sworn I saw the complete season available a while ago.

Does anyone know if it is actually available in complete season form? Or of any other retailers I could find it from. I don't really want to buy the split volumes as I have the rest complete.

2. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Season 5 used to be available as a complete season box. In the UK, it was released in 2010 – that's where I got my copy from.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Melrose-Place-Season-5-DVD/dp/B0036QV89M/
    It's probably out of print now.

Season 6 and 7 weren't released in Europe at all. They were/only available as US imports (region 1).
    Although this here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Melrose-Place-Season-6/dp/B07L875FHS says it's Region 2. It doesn't look like it was published by CBS/Paramount like the other seasons, though.

3. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Medals:
    I'm still trying to get season 6 and 7 from Melrose Place but it was only released in US region 1, well maybe i should buy the region 1 seasons so i'm tired of waiting.

4. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    I got season 6 a few weeks back and then today found a used set of season 5 and so ordered that. It's been ages since I watched season 4 so I hope to start season 5 some time soon. It will be strange watching it alongside Sunset Beach too.

5. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    I am about to go in and start watching season 5 tonight... I honestly had forgotten what had happened in the season 4 finale. I just went to good old YouTube and found out that Jane and Sidney had burred Richard in a shallow grave and then left him there to rot. Only he had a Thriller/Carrie moment and burst his hand up threw the dirt. So he'll be back. I think I need to read a season finale episode synopsis just to be sure before I go in again.

6. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    Well now... Richard has been tormenting Jane and trying to blackmail her and Sidney over his death. Well until he is finally really dead, killed by a state trooper or whatever.
    Alison continues to be an unreal stinking dirty horrible bitch. I f**king hate Alison. She's been having an affair with Jake who's new haircut is AWFUL. Slutty Alison, selfish Alison, horrible Alison keeps the affair secret and hidden from Billy. Until of course he finds her out and calls her out for being the whore that she is.

Peter is finally released from prison and finds his house has been sold by Sidney while he was banged up, his car has also been repossessed. Amanda travelled to someplace I cant remember to clear Peter of murdering his first wife, by proving she killed herself. All very bullshitty. Saved by the diary of a dead woman.

Now... We also have new cast members. Lisa Rinna shows up as Taylor McBride, which is funny as the character was originally to be played by Hunter Tylo who was Taylor on The Bold & The Beautiful. She was fired by Spelling before shooting began and replaced with Rinna who I don't love. No, I just aint liking it and wish that Tylo was kept on. I have to wonder if the character's name of Taylor wasn't a FU to Tylo.
    It's funny that Jack Wagner who plays Peter Burns was later cast on The Bold & The Beautiful in the early 2000s. Surely he had scenes with Hunter Tylo.

We also have Rob Estes, again! He was on the show a couple seasons back and now he's back but as a different character. Married to utterly unlikable Rinna. Which is weird as he was married in real life to Jane the bore.

Dr Kimberly Shaw has been fired from the hospital and struck off for being an absolute fruit cake. And has since been hired as a receptionist at Peter and Michael's medical practice. Sidney was fired by Peter.
    Matt is all hopped up on DRUGS and failing his med classes, stealing prescriptions and being loud about being gay but not really being gay, which is gay.

Lisa Rinna's lips are terrifying.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    5 episodes done! Jane has turned into a nutjob obsessed with Jake and Alison. As if anyone ever could be! Now there's burning apartments and bricks thrown threw windows, and yet still Alison lives.... Why? Anyways you do you Jane... You slash those tyres.

The guy from Baywatch, David Charvet has turned up as Amanda's boss's son. Amanda's boss is now played by a different actor entirely, I'm sure. He's now a demented asshole who's out to ruin Amanda for some stupid reason. Lets see where this goes. I hope Amanda disembowels him right there in the middle of the D&D offices. But not before she shags his son.

We also have Kelly Rutherford now as a love interest for Michael, and I really like her so I'm excited to see where this goes. I know a lot of the cast go this season and I am honestly not that bothered by that as most of them feel like they have done almost everything humanly possible at this point. Some have went even beyond that.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    Well that's it, Jane the bore is being pushed into fruitcake territory. I feel her days on Melrose Place are numbered. She's really going down the whackjob route pretty swiftly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    Well this is 100 times better than season 5 of Melrose Place... but hey ho!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,215
    Medals:
    I just knew he was going to say Brooke!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    Oh my! Kimberly only has 3 months to live, I reckon that's about 4 or 5 episodes? Something I have been wondering about Kimberly is when did she stop wearing the wig or is that her real hair or what's the deal there? It takes a long damn time for hair to grow back like that.

Mysterious Megan/Kelly Rutherford is driving Michael nuts. She lives in a beach house, that has no personal possessions, no clothes, no photos, no food and she wont tell him anything about herself. She's a hooker, obviously.

Sidney is making moves on Taylor's chef husband and also selling him art that she's saying comes from a Russian artist named Samuel Keiroff or something like that, only it's not it's coming from Melrose Place's mousiest mover inner. I have forgotten her name because she's such a none event character. Billy dated her once and got so bored he started thinking about Alison. She works at Jane's dress shop and makes Jane seem like Sable Colby which is a feat!

Peter is being seduced by his dead wife's sister Taylor, played by Lisa Rinna who looks like a soccer mom in her 40s. She's 33 I checked! I just don't get her casting at all, especially knowing that the WONDERFUL Hunter Tylo was the first choice for Taylor. Rinna just isn't a convincing seductress vixen. She's 50 shades of boring.

Matt just put his hand on his Doctor boyfriend's face. Which in 1997 on American prime time TV means they had SEX.

The guy from Baywatch has been fully clothed in all his episodes so far, thus defeating the purpose of his casting.
    Jane has went for a walk with Jake, being all crazy as hell, hopefully she walks right out of Melrose Place, hopefully Alison follows her.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    Oh! Big reveal! Michael goes to Megan to talk about them and their future. She goes on about being a prostitute he says he can learn to live with it, or help her get out of it. While he's there Kimberly turns up outside and watches through the window. After Michael leaves, Kimberly enters Megan's house. Kimberly knows Megan. She hired her to sleep with Michael. All of the What The F**ks? are being asked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,644
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I remember that! Also, I just watched a Golden Girls episode with Sophia being proposed to do exactly that by a sick old woman who doesn´t want her hub to be alone after she dies! How fun, Melrose did GG!:danc:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    Jane was adopted.. Kinda explains why she's not at all like Sidney.

15. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,644
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Yeah but knowing who her natural mum is (or will turn out to be...did you get there already?), she should have been DA BEECH in this universe.

16. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    Ha! Not yet! She's literally just left a convent I guess to go find her.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    So Abby Ewing Sumner is Jane's mother, and she's dating Karen fairgate's brother Joe. I cant cope with this... It's too much.

How useless is Samantha? What is the point of this dreadfully dull character? It's as if she's a attempt at replacing Jo, only Jo was 100% better. This whole fake artist storyline is so blaaaaa! The restaurant business with Kyle is really boring and dull too. Every time Taylor, Lisa Rinna is on screen want to throw something at it. I think that this is the problem with this season so far. It's so slow and plodding and dull. There are stories going on but they all feel unimportant. Even Amanda feels weirdly dull this season, and her plot line seems so far removed from the rest of the cast. For the first time it seems that Melrose Place is without a vampy diva. This needs to be corrected quickly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    It's funny that there have been several references to things being gender neutral which is something I associate with now, and currant political and social views. It doesn't strike me as a very mid 90s point of view? It certainly isn't something I gave much thought to until kind of recently.

19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    Jane is such a miserable godforsaken bitch! In fact there are so many utterly horribly unlikeable people on Melrose Place.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,551
    Medals:
    Thanks for the recaps Alexis. I was really into Melrose Place during these seasons although it's been years since I've watched them so my timelines are a bit all over the place. For one, I thought Donna Mills showed up much earlier than season 5 but obviously not.

I do recall season 5 being a bit of an odd one where the wheels started falling off (some would argue they'd been off for a while). I loved the addition of Megan. I thought Kelly Rutherford was great, even when she was landed with bores like Coop in later seasons.

I didn't mind Taylor and Craig but they were the beginning of a spate of characters that were added to the show but who seemed to have no clear arc. They just sort of wandered around with no clear purpose. Going back only a few seasons prior you had cast additions like Jack and Brooke who had defined roles and interesting storylines. Taylor shows up as Peter's ex-sister in law who is in love with him or something while Craig shows up as someone's son. After that, they just sort of drift from scheme to scheme with no great consequence. I'm on the same page as you about Samantha. She was awful.

Regarding the casting of Lisa Rinna, I think Days of Our Lives was kind of hot around that time following the Marlena possession storyline and Lisa had been on the show as Billie Reed, so that may have played a part in her casting. Either that, or they were stuck following Tylo's dismissal and had to choose a replacement quickly.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1