Melrose Place Melrose Place Season 3 DVD did not include black and white bumpers

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by MarkSinacori, Jan 13, 2018 at 1:03 AM.

1. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +100
    In my opinion, these were needed. They cut off the music and faded it out and didn't include those 3 second recaps of the final scene of act 1, 2 and 3 that led to a commercial break in black and white with the MP logo.

Season 4 and 5 have them though. Why did they cut these out of season 3?! I wish they could re-distribute season 3 DVD with them in!

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,257
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Usually I'm all for a TV series being released as closely as possible to the way it aired, right down to bumpers, recaps, previews and music, so I can get why you'd miss them.

The bumpers weren't used when MP first aired in the UK on Sky One, so I don't have the association. When they appeared on the DVDs it was interesting to see them at first, but I quickly found it quite irritating to have these slo-mo segments every 8 minutes. So I can live without them.

What bothers me more about the DVDs is the generic muzak replacing the rock tracks that were used when MP first aired.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,395
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    This. Also, how they edited out music performances at the Kyle's jazz club later on because they didn't want to pay for the tracks. It's the same issue with the Beverly Hills 90210 DVDs. I don't think they ever thought it would become an issue when they did the shows.

4. Willie Oleson
    Question

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,819
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Gosh, if that's what it takes to get Knots Landing on DVD...but it would be very difficult to do. Especially Cathy's performances on Joshua's tv show, would it still make sense without them?
    But since you already know it was there and how it affected the story, would you settle for less?

Apparently there was no problem with Joan Collins' performance of "The Boys In The Backroom"o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,257
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Knots is probably a different kettle of fish since, being Knots, they worked the songs into the scripts. Whereas Melrose usually had the MTV moment where a hit song would play for the post-theme credits, then there was all the ambient music played at Shooters and in people's apartments. It's easy to replace, which would have eased the process of licencing but probably also made them less inclined to fork out for the originals. Having watched many of those episodes numerous times on VHS through the Nineties and early Noughties, I know how they're meant to sound and it bothers me that it's changed.

But if it's a choice between the diluted version of Melrose on DVD and no Melrose, I'd settle for the diluted version. Which is pretty much what's happened. I'd find it far more difficult to settle for a butchered version of Knots, but it would be better than no Knots. Not that even a butchered version seems likely to appear on the horizon at this stage.

The Jazz Club scenes that Tommie mentioned sound more contentious - and probably closer to some of the issues with Lisa Hartman - since it seems actual performances on the show have been edited out. But since I never watched past the Season Five finale of Melrose maybe Tommie could say more about that.

WB were apparently happy to shell to immortalise Kate Mulgrew murdering Never Ending Song Of Love, so it's interesting to see where their priorities lie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,395
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    I guess the one advantage Knots has is that the Cathy performances are her own recordings, yes of hit songs, but it still should in theory make it easier to license or shows like Glee would have severe issues. The biggest issues for Melrose was that it was original recordings by the actual hit artists I imagine.

7. Willie Oleson
    Question

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,819
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    How did you manage to stop watching? Weren't you curious what was going to happen next?
    These days I find it easier to give up & move on (in case I don't like it anymore), but with the soaps I used to be pretty hardcore. Or maybe I just liked everything.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,257
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    I'd have thought that the expensive part was getting the rights to the song, no matter who sings it. Not that I know much about this sort of thing - only what I've read from time to time.

There were a few different factors that made it easier for me.

The S5 finale felt to me more like an ending than a cliffhanger, and so many long-time series regulars had left during S5 that it just felt like the right point to let it go. Plus I was really busy with real world stuff during the time S5 was airing - by the time S6 began I was barely watching any TV at all.

• Like Like x 1