Making a Murderer or Making a Mockery?

Discussion in 'Documentaries' started by tommie, Aug 29, 2017.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,103
    Medals:
    This was a big discussion thread on the old forum and most seemed to lean towards "suspicious" investigation, but the more criticism against it I have started to change my mind. First of all: Steven Avery is guilty as f*** and a violent sexual predator.

Brendan was probably an accomplice in the crime. His sentence was harsh, but co-operating with Law Enforcement could've brought that down.

Thank you.

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Medals:
    Do we know Avery was "guilty as f***"? Or was he just kind of a jerk and therefore his conviction seemed okay?

All I know is that I wasn't there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Medals:
    What we do know is that the police/sheriff in that town was shady as f**k and that the investigation was handled in an appalling way. I like to think in most other parts of the world it would have been thrown out of court for being a shambles and a laughing stock and so obviously corrupt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,103
    Medals:
    No, Steven Avery is guilty as f*** and murdered that poor woman.

He's a violent sexual predator. He hunted down his cousin, who he "exposed" himself to, and pointed a loaded gun at her. He's also raped his underage niece (reason: she was adopted), beaten his ex girlfriend to the point of unconsciousness, beaten his ex-wife, sent threatening letter to EVERYONE...

5. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,241
    Medals:
    I'm just about to delve into 'Making A Murderer: Part 2' which is now on Netflix. Has anyone watched it?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Medals:
    My laptop recently passed away. I hope to maybe replace it next month then I’ll be all over this. As well as nuDynasty and the rest of The Haunting of Hill House.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +667
    I've watched the entire first and second season and I have to say, I have always been convinced Steven Avery is innocent. It's difficult because Netflix is obviously biased, in that they have a story to sell (it is, after all, called "Making A Murderer") but I do think they provided some very damning evidence. In particular, Kathleen Zellner - the woman is quite clearly a media-whore (check her Twitter, if you don't believe me) but she's thrown the whole case wide open.

As far as Brendan Dassey's concerned, his so called 'confession' is an abomination. At the time, he was a vulnerable, intellectually-challenged sixteen year old kid. Whether he and Steven were innocent or not, he was failed by the justice system (and, to some degree, his parents).

8. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,966
    Medals:
    I've just finished watching Making a Murderer 2 and thought it was so much better than season 1. I found season one to be very one sided in favour of Mr Avery but season 2 focussed more on the forensic evidence which is more impartial, although the interpretation put on it can favour one side over the other. Although it is by no means clear that Mr Avery is innocent of the murder, I think it is almost certain that the police or someone else involved in the prosecution planted or tampered evidence.

Kathleen Zeller is such a great lawyer, she really inspires confidence and if she can't secure Steven Avery's release no one will.

It is a completely engrossing documentary and well worth watching.

• Thanks Thanks x 1