1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Just Look at the Flowers Lizzie

Major cast member departing after Season 9

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead' started by JROG, May 29, 2018.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Andrew Lincoln, the lead of the series, will appear in only 6 episodes next season and then will leave the series.

Devastating news. The show cannot (or will have a VERY hard time) do it without him.

I always said, I will not accept a Walking Dead without Rick, Daryl, Carol, and Michonne all being on. I was going to stick with the show, but I think this does it.

They should end it with Season 9, but it seems like they'll be going on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,257
    Rewind two seasons and I would have agreed with you completely.

Now, it feels like a different story. The direction in which Rick has gone hasn't gelled with me at all, and then all the time-jumping just creates a chaotic story. As much as this surprises me, I'm actually thinking that Rick going could save the show.

As for a new leader, I'm unsure where to do, I don't think Daryl has it in him and I'm struggling to think of someone that does, maybe that is another reason why I'm not enjoying the show the same way I did a few seasons back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    I'd rather see the whole TWD-writing staff departing and replaced by a new one. Can't get any worse, so there's a chance..

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,270
    I've heard that apparently AMC wants to make their shows "cheaper", so take that for what you will...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    Yes, i can already see what that does, with the main cast of both walking dead shows drastically shrinked. :fp:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,257
    One headline is that 44% of fans will quit The Walking Dead when Rick leaves.

I thought people were fans of the show and not just reliant on one character.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    I think it's not just because of Rick, but because of the relation- and friendships that he has with the others, that makes him so essential for the show and for many fans.
    If he is gone, so would be his camerady with Daryl, his relationship to Michonne, his strong friendship with Maggie and his "very special" relationship with Negan, what makes Negan completly needless as well from the moment Rick is gone.
    It's not just the character that gets lost, but all the connected relationships, which are the foundation of every successful show. And then with Maggie gone too, there are not many strong relationships left the the show can build on sucessfully with future storylines.
    Same goes for the loss of Nick and now even Madison over at Fear. A show needs essential core caracters that are either there from the beginning and viewers feel very much connected to, or newcomers which are strongly written and welcomed by the fans. And neither of the shows could manage that to a point, that the remaining characters could carry the shows. You can not just kill off core characters just for the sake of it and creating a short momentum of drama and then have almost no interesting characters left.
    I give both shows one or two more seasons... and then the deadwalk has come to an end for AMC.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,257
    I get what you're saying, but I really don't think it's about Rick.

I think the problem has been happening longer than they think and mainly due to the loss of so many characters. It's true that it's essential to hold on to original characters, but there also comes a time when those original characters have run their course and I think losing Glenn, Carl, Sasha, Tyreese, Abraham, Hershal and even going as far back as Andrea & Lori has cost dearly. Not just because they left the show, but more because they never really compensated for the loss. Looking at the current cast shows that they don't have that strength in characters that they had up to season 4 and part of season 5.

I've loved the Negan story, but at the same time, I've seen how they've destroyed the show in that they have too many recurring characters that are not directly connected to the main characters. Too many 'tribes' and not enough character development, it just doesn't have that same finesse the show used to have. I also think this new way of telling a story by jumping with the timeline has caused some damage. They split the season into two parts and then they can go 3/4 episodes without continuing where they left off.

Part of the original charm was watching Rick, Carol & Daryl deal with survival and that was divided when they started to give these three strong characters another platform where they deal with it on their own and not with Rick like they used to.

I've come to a point where I think losing Rick might be the way to save the show.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    Maybe, but they have to go back to the roots by making the walkers a much greater threat again and give the remaining survivors interesting stuff to interact with and actually "survive" again. Because if you can finish off 25 walkers in a small basement room with like 3 fingersnips, there's not much of a threat left that can cause tension and excitement. The vanishing audience obviously doesn't want yet another telenovela where nothing interesting happens anymore other than core characters getting killed off, they want zombie and survival action that does the name of the show justice.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,257
    Oh yes, absolutely!

While they need the characters to drive the show, they also need the right story to maintain the original concept and you hit the nail on the head with regards to the walkers. I don't see many people/fans raising that issue, it's usually all about the characters. They really do need to go back and make the walkers the main feature. That scene where a walker came rolling down the stairs and no one woke up was just dumb writing and all this crap about wiping out the walkers like they are just a fly on someone's shoulder is destroying that fear we as the audience once had, I'm also amazed at how quickly they learn to have a direct shot at a walker's head, no one seems to miss anymore, again making the walkers appear an easy and free target.

I liked the move where they started to look at other living people being a big threat to the survivors, but again, they took it to a ridiculous level. We need more characters that are willing to fight the good cause and not turn into another 'big bad' that's not a walker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    I'm still waiting for a side storyline that focuses on one or several walkers. From the moment they turn, how they wake up again, how they see and feel the world and interact with other walkers as this changed and limited individual, from the perspective of a walker. They could do SO much with that and maybe even make them a little more "intelligent" as they were in the first season.
    Many people forgot that, but the first walkers in season 1 actually used sticks or other kind of things, before they were dumbed down so much.
    Almost a decade into the show that is called "The walking dead" and we've never even seen the world from a dead walkers perspective, which is kind of sad.
    Or let there be a new half walker/half human being, because the virus is evolving and changing or something like that.

That would actually be a great exit for Rick for example, sacrificing his live for a possible cure!
    My idea: Negan thanks Rick for not killing him by telling him his biggest and most precious secret about that abandoned laboratory he found some months ago, where some scientists were developing some kind of serum that could slow down (or one day even stop????) the turning process, but the scientists all died and turned before they could finish the serum.
    Turns out that at the moment (!) it only works for people with a certain rare blood type (AB) that only very few people have .. but Rick does! HA! :D
    Rick could be the ultimate hero by further developing that serum with Eugenes help and ultimately testing it on himself. So Rick begs Michonne to kill him for the "greater good" (what great drama for the characters!!). Then he starts turning after all but over several days or even weeks, (the serum can't undo it but slow it down somehow) becoming a bigger and bigger threat for his group and Michonne.... losing himself in desperation and this rage that he can't stop or escape from, it's getting stronger and stronger ... what a great storyline that could be, with all characters involved! Suddenly there's a new hope in the air... but also a new fear... because noone knows exactly, how long Rick will still be able to control himself... :eek:
    So much could be done with this stuff, but it seems the writers have simply no imagination what to do with what they're given. :confuse:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Oh no :eck:, I have to see a little more than 4 seasons before Rick leaves the series, maybe it's good for the show or maybe not, but we'll see where this goes but I'll definitely going to miss Rick Grimes. But what i've heard from other viewers and reactions, I understand that the story lines have become less these days.

Well i hope Rick Grimes will leave the show with a great exit. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,337
    I’m surprised Andrew Lincoln is leaving the show. He says he needs to spend more time with his Family which I understand. I don’t know how Rick leaves it would be interesting if he disappeared, and the others don’t know what happened.
    I hear that Daryl is going to be the new leader. I think Michonne would be a better choice but I’m sure after Rick leaves she will not be herself.
    Norman Reedus is going to get 20 million for Season 9. They are banking on him to save the show. I love Norman Reedus but it is more than a one man show.
    I will watch the series until the end. I just wonder how much longer it will last.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    Where have you been, Jessie? Good to see you back :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Christine

Christine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I don't think Daryl is going to be the new leader. They said that Norman Reedus is going to be the new lead character but that doesn't have to mean that Daryl is going to lead the group. Those are two different things to me. The actor is leading the show but the character is not leading the group. I think Maggie is going to be the new leader once Rick is gone. Makes a lot more sense.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    But Lauren Cohan will be gone soon, too. I've read that Rick and Maggie both will appear in only 6 more episodes, before leaving the show for good.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018