Madonna - Madame X

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jason73, Apr 14, 2019.

1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,281
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,705
    Medals:
    It's odd. The whole situation she's in. I think it's probably a first in the music world. She's not like other female singers in that as they get older they can do covers and standards and torch song stuff. That was never who Madonna was. She was the first of her kind. She was never a balladeer. She couldn't just go on releasing love songs and whatnot quietly in the background. She doesn't feel that post 50 she should have to and she's right. But what does someone who's been a pop icon, erotic, sex symbol, blonde bombshell, earth mother, new-disco queen do at 60? As Madonna sees it she should dress and behave like she's one of the kids. Why not? Hasn't she always been a provocateur?
    It's just that now it feels forced, not authentic. Now it feels like she's actively fighting against her age instead of embracing it. Which is what I would rather she do. That doesn't mean I think she should wear sack dresses, let her hair go grey and release folk ballads either.

I think I feel bad for her because there is all this stuff that society says a woman in her 60s should be. It's cruel. It is different for men. Bowie, Elton John, Jagger never had to deal with anything like this. They could just peacock away and release what they wanted and look how they wanted and say what they wanted without any of the scrutiny that Madonna has had.

She's trying to stay relevant and young and all of that because the world tells us that women in their 60s should quietly fade away into the grey.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,190
    The age aspect is a really big speaking point. Even everyday folk who are not in the limelight appear to act, dress and look younger than their elder relations. When I think back to my nan in her 50s and 60s, she always had that grey hair, the perm or slight perm, the sack dresses, whereas when I think of my mum at that age she was very different and now I see many people turning 50 yet look in their 40s and some in their 30s. The world reacts to age heavily against women than it does men.

Rather than sing about LGBTQ, maybe she could so something along the lines on when I'm 64.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,705
    Medals:
    She's basically the same age as my mum. Maybe a year or two of a difference but she's not making music that appeals to people that age or that speaks to them in any way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,281
    Medals:
    I guess one difference, aside from gender, is that Bowie, Elton and Jagger were never just about pop -- Bowie marched to his own drum, the Stones have always been a blues band at heart and I guess Elton is what the Americans call Adult Oriented Rock -- whereas Madonna, for all her changes, has always been about pop and dance music, which is associated with youth. So yeah, she is wading into uncharted territory. It's kind of interesting.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,705
    Medals:
    I mean her life has been quite a ride so far. An introspective album about her experiences and her thoughts and feelings on who she is today yada, yada, yada... would be interesting. There were hints of that on Rebel Heart and then there was also some really dreadful stuff.

7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,190
    She has done quite a bit on her life throughout the years, the death of her mother, disappointment from her father, becoming a mother, the marriage to both Penn & Ritchie and she's forever harping on about her religion. I loved the references to her past on Rebel Heart and would like to see more of that, kinda like a celebration of her life. I know we've said this before, but I would love an acoustic album from her. Imagine if she did something along the lines of what Kylie did with the Abbey Road Sessions.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,705
    Medals:
    Yes this is exactly what I would love from Madonna. However I think it's the last thing she would do as she feels it is what is expected of her. That's Madonna's logic. She's not like Kylie or even Cher in that way. She's all about actively fighting the norm, the expected. She doesn't see herself as one thing in that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,281
    Medals:
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...d-to-be-somebody-because-i-felt-like-a-nobody

Uniquely among her peers, she is still resolutely a pop artist, still making music informed by what is happening in the charts and the clubs.

“There’s nothing forced about it,” she says of her continuing quest to personify pop. “This is the music that I listen to in my house, this is the music that inspires me. Oh, you’re not allowed to make youthful, fun, sexy music if you’re a certain age? That’s a load of” – she dips into an English accent – “bollocks, to speak your language.”

She says she still has ambitions: “Well, I’ve just put a record out, so I must still have ambitions. Yes, I want to be successful, I am ambitious. Yes!”

But you’ve been as successful as a pop star can ever hope to be – does that not curb your hunger a bit? She frowns. “But I don’t think my ambition has ever really been generated by what you maybe perceive as conventional success. I mean, being super-famous or super-rich was never my goal.”

Hang on a minute: you said you wanted to rule the world. “When I said I wanted to rule the world, I didn’t say: ‘I want to be the most famous person in the world.’ I didn’t say: ‘I want to be the richest person in the world.’ I said I wanted to rule the world.” She thinks for a moment. “Well, what did I mean then, in my very young mind? I think I just meant I want to make a mark on the world, I want to be a somebody. Because I grew up feeling like a nobody, and I wanted to make a difference. I think that’s what I meant.”

10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,705
    Medals:
    She's sounding a bit like Geri Spice now. Funny.

11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,705
    Medals:
    My friend text me this while I was at work this evening too. And he' a fan.
    [​IMG]

12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,190
    My first listen was kinda numb. I was doing other things at the time and I had it on repeat. I found some parts felt out there and odd like they had detached themselves from the song. Later that evening I did the album with the headphones on and started to fall in love with some of the tracks. There are still a couple that I'm not keen on but overall it feels like an exciting arrangement of various styles. I'm looking forward to really getting into the lyrics later this week.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Medals:
    I've only listened to the album a couple of times so far. Overall, I like most of it. I think it's a more interesting album than Rebel Heart but I'd put it about on par with that album as far as number of tracks that I like. I find both Rebel Heart and Madame X more interesting and likable albums overall than MDNA.

At this point the tracks I'm loving are Come Alive, God Control, Crazy, Crave, and Looking For Mercy.

The only track that I can say at this point that I don't like is Killers Who Are Partying. I don't doubt for a second that she supports all the various groups that she mentions in the song, but what seems like appropriation to me bugs me enough that I can't really enjoy the song. It's a shame because I really love the way her voice sounds on that track.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,263
    This is all very interesting stuff. Here in Australia an interview with Madonna is about to air with Andrew Denton. He has this uncanny ability to draw out information perhaps the interviewee was not expecting to release. When the media release was sent out a few weeks ago I stated on another website this interview will be with Madonna "Pop Star" not Madonna Louise Ciccone the person as she has an album to promote. Another person chimed in and said they hoped Madonna would not conduct the interview wearing the stupid eyepatch. The network about to air the interview released some footage to promote the event. Madonna is wearing the eyepatch.

Madonna.jpg
    Screenshot of upcoming Australian interview.​

This tells me Madonna "Pop Star" is in full control. This is a real pity because I'd like to see Madonna Louise Ciccone the person informing me after all these years what drives her, what makes her wish to remain in such a tough environment when she could so easily retire and live a comfortable life.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +781
    Medals:
    I heard her ticket sales are withering........

16. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,281
    Medals:
    I love it. It's by far the most mental album Madonna's made. It's full of interesting ideas and some really lovely moments. Some the lyrics are very intriguing and others have that sort of potent simplicity she does so well. It's probably the nearest she'll ever get to making a Kate Bush record. But there again, who knows where she'll go from here?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,705
    Medals:
    I have yet to hear anything from it that makes me want to buy it. It might be another MDNA for me. With Rebel Heart most of the leaks I loved instantly. I was so exited about that album.

18. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,281
    Medals:
    Yeah, it's not as immediately pop as Rebel Heart (which I also really liked). It feels more of an album than a collection of potential hits - if that makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,827
    Medals:
    It's such a bizarre, different, unique collection of songs. I can't stop listening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +781
    Medals:
    I was hoping it would be more like the “Erotica” album. I’m not into the foreign sounding slant the album has......