Let it Shine

Discussion in 'Reality TV Forum' started by Ome, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079
    The BBC might have lost The Voice UK to ITV, but it's getting a brand-new talent show in its place. Yep, Gary Barlow has signed up for his very own competition – but what's it all about? Who will be hosting, who will be judging, what's the prize, and is Simon Cowell really threatening to sue? We've got all the information you need...

Let It Shine: What is it?

The BBC announced back in June that it had picked up Let It Shine (after lots of rumours that Gary had been working on a new talent competition). The series will see Gary searching for five young men to take part in a new Take That musical, so we're currently expecting something along the lines of How To Solve A Problem Like Maria and Any Dream Will Do.

Only some incredible star power. Simon Cowell won't be too happy to hear that Dannii Minogue has signed up to be a permanent judge on the show, but the rest of us are doing cartwheels (hooray!). We always loved Dannii on The X Factor, so we can't wait to see what she gets up to this time round.

She and Gary will be joined by a third permanent judge - none other than Spandau Ballet star Martin Kemp! We can all agree that this is a pretty impressive line-up, no?

But that's not even all of it, because the competition will take place over three stages with a special judge joining up for each stage. We don't know all of the names taking part yet, but the first stage will be judged by none other than Glee star Amber Riley. So get excited NOW.

Oh, and make no mistake - the rest of Take That are going to be involved. There might only be three of them left, but Howard Donald and Mark Owen both confirmed that they have been helping out, with Mark joking to The Mirror: "I'm [Gary's] driver!" As for Robbie Williams and Jason Orange, well, we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

It's a bit of a dream team, to be honest – Mel Giedroyc and Graham Norton have signed up to front Let It Shine, so it seems we'll be in very safe hands. "The combination of the BBC, everyone's favourite band and Saturday nights made this an offer I simply couldn't refuse," Graham said. "If I wasn't a part of Let It Shine, I know I would be watching it at home – this way I just get the best seat in the house."

And Mel added: "This show brings together so many of the things I love – singing, dancing, Gary Barlow and Graham Norton. What's not to love? I can't wait to meet the singers and see the performances, which I know will be utterly spectacular. If you know someone who's got the moves, whether they already sing in the shower or on the stage, we want to see them."

Obviously there's not just one champion in this show – five young men will make it to the end to be crowned the Let It Shine victors. And the prize? They'll join brand new Take That musical The Band, which will begin rehearsals in July 2017 before hitting the road and touring nationwide all the way up to June 2018.

And it looks like the producers are planning ahead, because the terms and conditions of applying for the show reveal that they'll have the option to take the winners into a West End transfer. Imagine!

Gary's certainly looking forward to rewarding the champions, saying: "The most exciting thing for us is new young talent and the idea that somewhere out there right now is five people whose lives are going to change over the next six months. It's incredible."

Nothing's confirmed yet, though all the signs suggest that Let It Shine (which will air for eight weeks) will be BBC One's replacement for The Voice UK. That means you should expect it to arrive on your screens in early January (and very possibly up against The Voice UK on ITV).

Certainly, if hopefuls are needed for filming between September and early 2017, as the applications page suggests, this would all fit – and we know it'll all be done by July 2017 as that's when rehearsals for The Band are due to begin. So start getting excited now...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079
    Two episodes in and I'm very impressed with what I've seen. I was expecting to switch off at some point in the pilot but it totally threw me.

I only really know the format of X FACTOR, THE VOICE & BGT and it's nothing like that. It maybe similar to other shows like OVER THE RAINBOW, so it's not completely new, but it felt fresh and exciting with some impressive guys auditioning. I've also enjoyed how Gary Barlow has gone on surprise visits to encourage guys to audition. He's nothing like he was on X FACTOR which is a bonus, he was partly why I thought I wouldn't enjoy it.

It's also great to see Mark & Howard back stage talking to the guys looking for a place in the musical.