1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Lest we forget- 11th Nov - Remembrance Day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barbara Fan, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,619
    In Loving Memory of all service men and women, from UK and abroad, who fought and died for our country in all conflicts around the world and who died to keep me safe and free. I thank you.............

In memory of my Mum's father, gassed in WW1 and died a young man as a result of damage to his lungs. I never met him and he left a widow - my gran - with 2 small children to bring up - A Seaforth Highlander

In memory of my Dads father, I remember a very frail old man who died when I was 5, shot on the Somme but lived to tell the tale and served in dads Army in WW2 - A proud East Kent Buffs soldier

To my parents - who met serving in the RAF and WAAF's - to my mum no longer here - and to everyone who put their lives on the line to protect their country, our freedom, our democracy, Thank you seems so very inadequate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,913
    Excellent sentiments.

Not forgetting the brave men and women of the Royal Ulster Constabulary, I lost an uncle at the hands of vile IRA terrorists. There couldn't be a greater contrast between the courage of the security forces and the cowardice and depravity of terrorist vermin.

Swami

3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    11/11 is Singles Day!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,600
    No it is father's day this year in Sweden!

On a serious note I don't think remembrance day is a big thing over here due to Sweden not having any wars in 200 years.

Sure there are Swedish soldiers who have died on peace keeping missions but it is not the same as when a whole country goes to war and people are drafted.

5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,534
    Yesterday Emmanuel Macron tweeted this image with the single word "Unis" which means united.

[​IMG]

For me, this has to be one of the most moving images of Remembrance Day that I've seen. It shows how far we have come in exactly 100 years since their predecessors agreed to end the first World War. It also shows the value of the European Union which has made a significant contribution to maintaining peace in Europe, including in Northern Ireland.

The European Union was created after World War 2 to end fighting between the European countries. For centuries, our countries had battled over territory, power and religion, regularly bringing the continent to its knees and regularly inflicting atrocities on our peoples. Stopping that cycle of violence for more than 70 years has to be worth celebrating. The photo of President Macron and Chancellor Merkel united, symbolising the peace and friendship that now exists between those nations, shows what humankind can achieve when we choose to come together.

• Like Like x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 6)