Kristoff St. John (Y&R) has died

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Emelee, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,138
    And this is the awful effect of suicide. Sometimes the family and friends are left with no explanation. First there is shock, followed by, why? Often there are no tell tale signs and those left behind look for any detail. Is there something I missed? Many are left feeling guilty and carry this burden for a long time. It's why I think Kristoff's death could be used to tell a thought provoking story. It's about getting the conversation started. The writers do not need to find a reason for the characters death. Viewers don't always need to be spoon fed answers.

2. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Soaps have always considered suicide of a character taboo (for the most part). Man, you would not want me to write for a soap. I would be killing off 80 year-old women in car crashes, characters committing suicide, etc. No subject would be taboo. It would be all real. Actors on AMC that played Grandma Kate, Charles, Mona, Langley, Phoebe, Myrtle, Palmer, et al, all had their characters "die in their sleep." Well, thats not true. One died in a brutal car crash, some died of cancer, heart attacks, etc. Boring. In 1975, when goodie-goodie Mary Kennicott Martin was shot and killed on AMC, she was pregnant at the time and the baby died first. THAT is how to write a story for a soap.......

When the actress that played Marge on "Search for Tomorrow" killed herself in 1971, even though she was a character that had been on the show since Day One, not only did they not acknowledge her death until late '72, she wasn't even mentioned other than a brief, "She recently passed away."

What a waste of a stellar story line.......

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  3. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    I would have had Neil's depression begin with Dru's death in '07 and continue from there.....

4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,138
    It could explain why daytime soaps are in decline. Once the domain of risk taking soaps today show no backbone in storytelling. It's the same tired old dribble just with different faces. While once considered escapism television, soaps are bordering on extinction all due to their own failings. How many times can we tell the story of a horrified woman exclaiming, "I'm pregnant!" Not many of the characters appear to have jobs and if they do the writers play lip service.

Another thing soaps appear to missing. Most of the youth I see today are too involved with their smartphones. They don't engage in conversation and if they are the smartphone still has top priority, even in a restaurant environment. Soaps don't appear to reflect what's actually happening in real life. It's like they're stuck in 1985 but want the best of both worlds. The producers still want their characters to engage with one another as though this is how the broader population behaves and every now and then will throw in a scene with someone on their smartphone, as if to say, we're with the times.

5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,881
    Medals:
    That's news to me. I had always heard Melba Rae died in the SFT studio from a cerebral hemorrhage during the performance of an episode. About two years ago her son, Eric Shawn (longtime anchor on the Fox News Channel) did an extended segment on a newscast with researchers developing new testing techniques to prevent sudden deaths like these, and he interjected how his mother had apparently been perfectly fine one minute, then collapsed and died during a commercial break. It was also why he had always been interested in the topic and covered all the advances in research during his journalistic career. I hate to think the man had been lied to his whole life about how his mother died.

6. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Btw, there are reports that St. John claimed to be seeing visions of his son shortly before his death. This was more of a prob than just him having a broken heart.

Sorry about the erroneous Melba Rae info. There was an actress that I'm trying to track down that did kill herself that worked on a soap during this time. However, Marge did not even get a funeral. Huh? That was horrifically rude... Could you imagine the shock for the viewers if they had Marge pass away right when Rae did?

7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,881
    Medals:
    In 1961, The Edge of Night decided to kill off the character of Sarah Karr, played by Teal Ames. Ames had decided to quit the series, and the show opted to kill her off by having an out-of-control car run her over. As "Sarah" lay dying off-camera in the hospital, the show was deluged by letters and calls from people who believed Teal Ames was dead. When Sarah finally died, they had to break the fourth wall by having Ames appear on camera (the show was still live back then) to reassure the viewers that she was alive and well and had simply decided to pursue other acting roles. Producers often over-estimate how viewers can't separate reality from fiction, but cases like this give them a reason to over-react. I think audiences are more sophisticated these days and such a thing might not happen, but producers aren't known for being all that smart.

You may have been thinking of Brenda Benet, who killed herself while employed by Days of Our Lives in the early 1980s.

8. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Benet's death wasn't even acknowledged, either. Dumb.

9. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,660
    Medals:
    A more interesting story, if they had the guts to do it, would involve Neil dying in a DUI accident, the character having fallen off the wagon off-screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,240
    Medals:
    Wow, this was a very touching and heartbreaking video. Honest emotions. Although i did not even know the died actor, it made me cry. :(

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  11. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    His death will be some cliche, "He died in his sleep...."

12. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings: