Ken Kercheval Has Died - Now Confirmed 21/04/19

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by garry, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    Still nothing from Patrick Duffy?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals:
    My understanding is that Buddhists go through a different process when someone dies so it may be something to do with that.. I could be wrong though and I also know that Patrick has been out of the country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. southfork88

southfork88 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    I thought exactly this kind of thing ...

I hope Patrick Duffy will soon pay homage to Ken Kercheval, differently I will change my photo :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,069
    Medals:
    Purely my opinion, but I don't think Patrick Duffy, or anyone else, should feel obliged to make a public statement. He may choose to deal with what is a personal matter in a personal way. Obviously, he can choose to share what he likes, but his thoughts and feelings are his own business.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,968
    Medals:
    I agree James. It was the same thing when Luke Perry died and the fans bugged Jennie Garth for a statement. In my opinion it is the worst thing you can do. I guess in the past the press only did that. Now with social media everyone thinks they are entitled to ask for statements. :(

On a happier note I watched two episodes tonight. First the season 10 one where Cliff found the natural gas since I wanted to watch one where Cliff got to win. It was uneven though and included some dull characters like Casey Denault and Kimberly Cryder.

Then I watched Election and wow what a difference. Great episode. I love how Cliff was still sticking by his moral compass at the time. Yet he lost and that made him more corrupt. But no way that man could turn into the man who was sent to Mexican prison. It just doesn't add up.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079
    A lot can happen to a person's mind in 20 years.

Hell, if I had been fighting someone like JR for most of my life, I wouldn't be surprised if I turned out as Cliff did in those later years.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JR Ewing Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yea but the feud was pretty much over when original Dallas ended. If he was going to go mad you would think it would have happened when the feud was in it's prime.

9. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,448
    Has any statement been made by any of his children, especially the one who lied to Sheree J. Wilson saying Ken was "alive and well"? I still find that very odd that he'd say that to a friend of his father. To a nosy paparazzi asking about stuff that's none of his business, sure, but not to a friend. That's something you just don't do. I see the effect the confusing contradictory reports had on people here, most of whom had never even met Ken Kercheval. It was very stressful to them to hear he's dead, no it's a hoax, well maybe it's true, and so on. If it affects fans that much, imagine the affect on someone who worked closely with him for years and was a friend!

I'm interested in why he said that to Sheree and I'd be interested in knowing what the cause of death was..

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,448
    Did they? That's a shame. I wasn't following the news much at that time but I used to watch Beverley Hills 90210 sometimes ad enjoyed it. It's a shame that as the years go by, the media has less and less decency and manners. Remember when River Phoenix died in the parking lot of The Viper Club on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood and all the reporters were hounding Christina Applegate because they wanted her to tell them what it was like having River Phoenix basically die in her arms?

Cidre turned them all into caricatures of who they originally were by taking all their worst qualities and amplifying them while ignoring their good qualities for the most part. It happened to all of them but especially Cliff. Bobby was another victim of that. Bobby was with Sue Ellen and said something to the effect of "Good blackmail never spoils" and was laughing about it. he blackmailed a guy in real Dallas (planting cocaine in a politician's house and threatening to tell the police) but he felt awful about it, he wasn't laughing about it and proud of himself. In Cidre Dallas Bobby was trying to have his own brother imprisoned, or threatening to at least. That's just perverse. In contrast, in real Dallas even JR wouldn't have Kristin imprisoned and she shot him!

Yes! All the more reason that the direction Cidre took Cliff's character in was terrible. Now as far as what happened to Cliff in fake Dallas, as far as consequences go, he earned that stay in prison. It didn't mater that he wasn't the one who shot JR. He killed his daughter's babies! So he got what he deserved. You reap what you sow. But for Cliff's character to be turned into something so unrecognizable and awful was just a blatant screwjob to the Dallas fans and the Dallas legacy. Both deserved so much better!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079
    Yes.
    Not necessarily, as I say, the mind is capable of many things and we don't know what happened between the years after we left Dallas and returned back in 2012.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,968
    Medals:
    It was the fans on social media like twitter, facebook and instagram etc. That were on Jennie Garths case about a lack of statement. So my criticism was of the social media not the media. The media behavior is sometimes awful too but the reporters have a job to do. So it is different.

I think the backlash at Dallas fanzine and the Indiana newspaper who reported the truth about Ken's death by people on social media is another example of what is wrong with social media. :(

Oh and The Dallas Fanzine has posted a statement from Ken's family where they request privacy.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,872
    Medals:
    I'm sorry to hear about Ken passing away. My condolences to his family and friends. Ken was great at doing comic relief; with his character Cliff, in addition to the more serious plots/storylines which showed a versatility to his acting.

• Like Like x 2
  14. southfork88

southfork88 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    April & Cliff.jpg

April & Cliff

• Like Like x 4
  15. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,931
    Medals:
    You're making a big assumption that Ken's son lied to Sheree. You can't know for sure what he said to her. It's entirely plausible that he asked her to deny the news until after he was able to contact all of his father's close friend and relatives so they wouldn't hear the news from the media first. Maybe he didn't want the news to be made public to give him a chance to come to terms with what happened and to grieve in private first before having to deal with curiosity from fans and the media. Whatever the reason, I think it's harsh to criticise a grieving son when we don't know the full facts.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. JR Ewing Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Well we know JR wasn't around for 20 years so why is he so mad now? lol

17. JR Ewing Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I can't really believe that because if he told her that I doubt she would say anything at all. I can understand wanting privacy and all and I think the newspaper was wrong for printing it as soon as they did if the family needed time. Once it was out in public though there was no going back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,403
    Medals:
    Absolutely, I didnt recognise his character at all - but then I didnt recognise Dallas either!! So They (Cliff and Dallas) both deserved so much better, it didnt deliver and I ignore it. Its my Pams dream.

I agree with JFL, Patrick should be under no obligation to print his views for the masses, its that awful social media/ twitter thing and i dont like it. Having said that he did quotes for Larry, Barbara and Howard at the time of their death

As i said earlier on this thread I find it very much in bad taste discussing and speculating if a man has died or not and i totally get why the family would want to keep it private in the days after - nothing is sacred any more and thats a shame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +381
    There was no speculation on Monday when the Fanzine Page reported Ken's death. We had it confirmed by the funeral home and the editor of the local paper, who was a friend of Ken's. Ken's son then posted on the Fanzine page that his father was alive and told Sheree Wilson the same. So we had no choice but to retract the story (even knowing Ken had passed) and that's where all the confusion came from. I understand the need for family privacy but there is no way Ken's death could have been covered up considering an obituary and tribute piece had already appeared in the local paper on Monday. The whole thing was a hot mess.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    The character of Cliff was no longer needed after Pam left. His final scene should have been the scene with Miss Ellie saying he was done with the feud.....