Kate Oates takes over at Eastenders

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,992
    EastEnders confirms new boss as Kate Oates takes over from John Yorke in top job

EastEnders, Casualty and Holby City are all getting a new boss, with Kate Oates joining as senior executive producer for all three shows.

The former Emmerdale and Coronation Street boss will be taking over the Walford soap from John Yorke – who stepped in to run EastEnders on a temporary basis last year.

Speaking about her new appointment, Kate said: "Working across EastEnders, Casualty and Holby City is an amazing opportunity for me to have creative input into three of the UK's leading dramas.

"I'm excited about meeting the teams and talent behind each show and can't wait to get stuck in and tell some unmissable stories."

Kate will report in to BBC Studios' Head of Continuing Drama Series Oliver Kent, and begins her role in October.

Mark Linsey, CCO of BBC Studios, said: "Kate is a dynamic, passionate and creative storyteller and I couldn't be more thrilled that she's joining BBC Studios to work with our fantastic teams at EastEnders, Holby City and Casualty.

"At EastEnders, she will be taking the baton from John Yorke, who stepped in to run the show on a temporary basis in June 2017. I'd like to personally thank him for the great job he's done during this interim period.

"John will continue to work together with Kate to ensure a smooth handover until the end of the year, and we will be announcing his next role with us in the coming weeks."

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +414
    Mixed feelings about this.

Love to be a fly on the wall at ITV Towers. Kate must have been p****d off the way she was treated at Corrie.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +414
  4. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    I'm looking forward to this, I think she may just be what the show needs. The ITV soaps have become a lot more heightened compared to Enders, which has had a rather grounded few years.

5. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,557
    I liked her on Emmerdale, but on Corrie it did become dark and depressing and the Pat Phelan storyline dragged on way longer than it should have done, and that's the last thing EE needs right now as ita already in that mode! It needs to be faster and fresh and not too dark.

Good luck to her though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alexis Colby Carrington

Alexis Colby Carrington Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +85
    She can't make EastEnders any darker than it already is. They've not had a serial killer yet on the show to my knowledge.

7. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,443
    I’m not exactly sure what constitutes a serial killer these days, but Lucas killed three people (one sort of by accident) and a dog.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    Usually it is the ones who do three or more killings in separate incidents. In 2016, at one point there were four of those hanging about in Hollyoaks at the same time, not counting the other occasional or one-off killers who live there. Sometimes they tried to bump each other off. Jeff Rawle said that part of the attraction of playing serial killer Silas Blissett on Hollyoaks was that he had never ever played a murderer before. Silas killed five characters and attempted to murder another five but came unstuck when he unintentionally murdered his own daughter, when he was trying to murder someone else. Although he later popped back, posing as Mr E. Mann and murdered the Gloved Hand serial killer, who had been busy murdering seven characters with potassium chloride injections. Silas deemed her a “slut” and said that her children would be better off without her. So he made sure of it. Cameron Campbell was living there then and he bumped off eight people. So was schoolgirl Nico Blake, who suffocated her grandfather (biological father to both her parents, thanks to their unintentional incest when they didn’t know that they were brother and sister), killed her mother’s lover on his wedding day and bumped off her stepsister. And trying to bump off some others, such as with poisoned aftershave and poisoned orange juice. Warren Fox is more of an occasional murderer, having murdered five characters, including a man who had just saved his life, his pregnant (with his baby) fiancée, her ex-husband and a couple of other characters. And attempting to murder others.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +414
  10. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +414