1. I kissed you in the water

And made your dry lips sing

I saw you look like a Japanese baby

In an instant I remembered everything

Just like the first time… it's the Steps thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,319
    Medals:
    It is, and she does. The sound of the song would fit right into one of Tina Arena's last two English albums. The song also scores for using the word "troublesome". If there's another song it's been used in I can't think of it.

Interesting that there are a number of backing vocalists in the chorus. Particularly with the song title and the fact it's her first proper solo song.

I'm getting a "bullied Twitter victim strikes back" vibe from the lyrics. Never a good colour on Claire.

I've seen it in many. :cool1

:D

"M" standing for "Megamouth", of course.

[​IMG]

2. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,319
    Medals:
    It's early August.

25 degrees.

Claire's album has a track called "My Heart Is Heading Home (This Christmas)"

And now that title is running through my head to the tune of "Daddy Wouldn't Buy Me A Bow Wow"*.

Or perhaps Cryin' Time. My brain can't quite decide.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,319
    Medals:
    How are we feeling about Faye's upcoming Strictly stint?

https://twitter.com/bbcstrictly/status/1029068999563374592

From the little I've seen it's a series where personality is important. If the audience likes and feels a rapport with a contestant that's half the battle. So this seems tailor made for Faye.

I'm also very happy about her getting some major prime-time exposure outside of the Steps brand. So far, Faye and Lee haven't really got onto the reality show junkets the way the other three have, which I respect them for. Strictly seems an appropriately classy way for Faye to win over a new audience. Which I have no doubt she will.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,255
    Medals:
    I have to say I have only seen her first performance on the show. I am probably going to catch up on the iPlayer tonight. I agree that Strictly seems very right for Faye. There was a little backlash about her having previous dance experience being in Steps. But really, most people on the show have a little previous experience. Many are from performing arts backgrounds where dance is just part of the training. However, ballroom and it's various styles of dance are hardly the same as being in a pop group like steps. In Ballroom there are some very strict rules that have to be adhered to.

Her first dance was great, and she scored well. I think she will go far in the show. She's just very likable, and smiley naturally. A ray of sunshine. And she's a grafter, she will work her ass off on the show. Her dance partner Giovani is absolutely gorgeous too. So that helps, with the viewers and popularity. I did see that Claire was there to support her too which was nice.

I am glad she's doing the show and that she's been given a chance to shine on her own.

It now seems we wont be getting a new Steps album until 2020. Possibly a single late next year. I suppose I was being overly greedy and too hopeful expecting it early 2019.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,508
    Medals:
    This is currently my most frequently played Steps remix. I'm really enjoying it and it's even received @Ome 's seal of approval.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,508
    Medals:
    It's always interesting to see what people think are Steps' best songs. A lot of my favorites aren't on the list and there are a couple on the list that wouldn't be anywhere near my top ten. @Ome will be happy with number ten. @Alexis will be happy with number one. (I am too.)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,255
    Medals:
    Yea some of those are, a choice! But I'm glad to see that the number 1 spot was true and accurate.

Also.... I have recently come to realise that I don't love After The Love As Gone as much as I used to. It's so plodding and repetitive. Maybe I just need some chocolate or something.

And what kind of parallel universe of HATE is it where One For Sorrow does not feature in a Steps top 10?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,508
    Medals:
    It's never been a favorite for me. It definitely ranks in my top three least favorite Steps singles.

Lol, it was there--only in the form of the Tony Moran remix. What I'm about to say might be somewhat shocking: Given a choice, I'd actually rather listen to the Tony Moran remix than the original version.

It was nice to see Words Are Not Enough get some love.

9. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,255
    Medals:
    Oh yea, Oops! My mistake, sorry I'm very tired from work. I like the Tony Moran mix, as an added extra. Nothing beats the original though for me. Probably my favourite of their singles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,319
    Medals:
    It's my most-played Steps track. At least since my iTunes era began. I went through a phase when I couldn't get enough of it.

The vocal and harmonies are great on it (I really like the routine, too). But it does cry out for a different arrangement. I find the intro in particular quite the turn off these days.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,508
    Medals:
    I think the intro is a big part of what I don't like about the song. I agree about the vocals. I don't mind the WIP remix. I'd love to hear what Almighty or 7th Heaven could do with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,319
    Medals:
    It would be great for for Almighty or 7th Heaven to get their hands on it.

The WIP Mix is ok, but there's a beat that runs through almost the whole of it that gets distracting and irritating for me. It's hard to describe but sounds like someone clinking a bottle.

13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,849

There is seriously not enough love in the world for 5,6,7,8. It's so different from their other singles and most pop songs that make it in the charts.

I've always liked number two also.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,319
    Medals:
    I’ve (belatedly) become hooked on The Chase in the past month or so. To the point I start feeling edgy if I don’t have two hits a day. Barring an occasional Pointless binge I haven’t felt like this about a game show since the early days of The Weakest Link.

Yesterday I was visiting a relative and was rather delighted when an episode came on featuring Faye.

Being on ITV on Boxing Day I guess it was a new episode, but I was reliably informed by someone who only knows Faye from her recent Strictly stint that The Chase was filmed earlier (Faye’s weight apparently being the giveaway). And indeed the conversational parts focussed mainly on her stage school/dancing history and Steps, of course. Anne Hegerty teased that she was in a Steps tribute band called “Stairlift”.

Faye was sandwiched enviably between Jamie Theakston and Ben Cohen. Both guys were “caught”, but was Faye? Watch and find out:

“That’s why I don’t win at pub quizzes.” :D

And here’s what happened next...

Register or to view Spoiler content!

I have to say she was as sparkly and charming as ever, there were some funny and memorable moments and it was a treat to see my favourite of the five Steps battling my favourite of the five chasers.

It seems Anne likes it. She couldn’t resist offering £5678 as the low offer even though it was almost as much as the £6k Faye made in her cash builder.

15. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,319
    Medals:
    H's episode was on a couple of days ago. From the dialogue I think it's from their initial reunion, so circa 2012.

I confess to above moderate levels of schadenfreude when H was quickly dispatched by Paul - the only contestant not to make it to the final. He was even outperformed by a bonkers (and possibly drunk) woman from Benidorm who blamed an incorrect answer on using the wrong brand of denture grip.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,319
    Medals:
    Somehow I've found myself watching Chatty Man on YouTube this week. This Gary Barlow interview made me think of this thread. He talks about almost writing for Steps at 5:30...

17. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,255
    Medals:
    How horrible is that? Barlow is a very talented songwriter Steps would have been lucky to have something of his at that time. Still makes me wonder about I Should Have Followed You Home?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,319
    Medals:
    I completely agree. He would have been a great match for Buzz-era Steps. With the benefit of hindsight it's insane that he was rejected and it really goes to show the crazy side of showbiz - how someone's career can wax and wane for no good reason at all.

Can you imagine the same opportunity coming up circa Light Up The World? They'd have snatched his hand off!

Anyway, I like how philosophical Gary is about it in the interview. It would have been too easy to disparage Steps based on that experience and he chose to be diplomatic.

It's very easy to imagine Steps singing this one.

And on a related note, a Steps rendition of Dance Your Pain Away wouldn't have come amiss.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,666
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,319
    Medals:
    I'm not sure I can cope with 45 minutes of Claire, but I'm curious which single the best video teaser comment was made about. My first thought was When I Said Goodbye or It's The Way You Make Me Feel, but as it said one of their biggest, I'd have to opt for Deeper Shade Of Blue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1